Register

Does killing/eating babies

Understand why your rabbits behave the way they do - and what you can do about it.
Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 11,613.00

Re: Does killing/eating babies

Post Number:#16  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:07 am

Skyz84 wrote:
Mary Ann's Rabbitry wrote:I think it is the mothers that are doing it.. I had this done .... and I also had a mom that would attack her babies at 4 weeks old when she had enough of them .. Some rabbits will live with there babies for a long time and others will wean really early. And 4 weeks sound about right.. I have had toes eaten off and ears eaten off .. I have had a mother that eat all of the babies and not have anything left in the cage.. those mothers are in the freezer.. and I never had that problem again.

Me too.. and Freezer is where they would normally go... except 2 of these mom's are young and the very best Tri's I have ever produced. I've been working hard to get my Tri's closer to show quality. Had both bred to a NICE buck too. *UH*

Guess I'll be re-breeding them again. Next time I'll make sure to have an experienced momma due at the same time. So I can foster the Tri Babies if needed.

You know.. if these were just run of the mill mutts that I'm selling as pets.. all the babies would be OK. It's the one's I've spent a lot of money and time on that have to do this. :x

I will add minerals and if anyone else has ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them...

Has anyone ever heard that adding raw bacon would prevent the mom's from eating the babies. Sounds like a bad idea to me.. raw meat for a rabbit... bacteria and such would be very bad... however I've now had more then 1 old time rabbit breeder tell me to try it... Nope not interested in trying it! But thought I'd ask if anyone has?

Rabbits are not strictly herbivores [contrary to popular opinion] and adding some meat products to their diet often will help them overcome nutrient deficiencies. I feed all of the table scraps to rabbits, [in a dish separate from the other feeds]
--there is rarely anything at all left in the dish, and even large turkey bones are picked totally clean, and sometimes partly eaten, [even with free access to good hay and pellets]
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 540.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby crookdbeak13 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:19 am

I don't have much experience, as I am new to rabbits, but thought I'd add that when I purchased my cali doe the breeder said that she had "eaten" a baby from her 2nd litter (whether she saw this or it was a predator and assumed I don't know) but she gave her bacon with her last kindle and all babies were fine. I heeded caution, because this was my first attempt at breeding, but I didn't have any bacon! So, I gave her bologna--she loved it and the 2 babies she had are 11 days old and thriving! I think she would have been ok, but I didn't want to take any chances. :bunnyhop:

BunnyBucks: 1,848.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby jeannie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:59 am

Processed meats, like those mentioned are high in nitrates. Maybe they were needing that? Be careful though, too much, imho, can cause problems.
If nitrates were needed you can feed fresh veggies like spinach or collard greens. I feed fresh veggies (kale, leafy lettuce, corn leaves, sunflower leaves, and elm twigs) every morning, but use spinach or collard greens only once a month or so.

I am sorry for your loss.

On a side note, I give my chickens hot dogs once in a great while ~ they love them (talk about chicken fights in the yard, lol), but again, only as a treat. Nitrates form nitrosamines ~ not good for anyone or their pets. Vitamin C inhibits the formation of nitrosamines ~ so maybe feeding something high in Vit C with the processed meats?
Everybunny needs a Lionhead bunny! www.jjrabbitry.com

Site Supporter
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 16,633.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Mary Ann's Rabbitry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:09 pm

wow.. this is the first time I have read rabbits eating meat . .. I know chickens will.. but rabbits... :P
I will never give any meat to my rabbits.. Are you sure it isn't more of the fat content over the protein in the process meats being use??? As goes for the loose minerals ,, yes , you can get them.. I have checked.. but expensive.. and I would get the ones for horses over goat..

Site Supporter

Post Number:#20  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:14 pm

Mary Ann's Rabbitry wrote:wow.. this is the first time I have read rabbits eating meat . .. I know chickens will.. but rabbits... :P
I will never give any meat to my rabbits.. Are you sure it isn't more of the fat content over the protein in the process meats being use??? As goes for the loose minerals ,, yes , you can get them.. I have checked.. but expensive.. and I would get the ones for horses over goat..

rabbits clean up all the fat in the left-overs dish also, esp. nursing does.

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Mary Ann's Rabbitry wrote:As goes for the loose minerals, I would get the ones for horses over goat..

Oh? Why is that? Goats are browsers, like rabbits, so I would think their mineral requirements would be closer? :hmm:

-- Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:57 pm --

I wonder if there is a big difference in the mineral makeup anyway? I am going to see if there is still a label on my new mineral block... if there is I will post the breakdown so we can compare.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter

Post Number:#22  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:36 pm

Mary Ann's Rabbitry wrote:wow.. this is the first time I have read rabbits eating meat . .. I know chickens will.. but rabbits... :P

Keeping Poultry And Rabbits On Scraps [Alan Thompson] Penguin Press, 1942- ish --has a lot of information on how rabbits used to be fed ,- before the days of rabbit pellets, people would save every bit of household scraps of any kind, it is said [ in above referenced book] that "there is nothing humans can eat , or left overs from humans food, that rabbits can not eat, -fish waste is also mentioned.

Previous