does got in to the feed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
My new champagne does are running around the floor of the little building that has my stack of cages with mini rex. I mix up a bucket of nutrena pellets and sunflower seeds to take out to them. The new does looooove the stuff. I've been trying to adjust them from their old feed to our feed and they aren't happy about that. Last night one dumped the bucket when I had it sitting on the floor and this afternoon when I went to check water bottles the entire bucket had been knocked off the cages. No idea how they got it down from about 4' up but they ate maybe a pound of pellets and sunflowers. Is this going to do them any harm? They are large does at around 9lbs so it's not like my mini rex getting in to an excessive amount of food. I'm just concerned since they have only been eating the new pellets for a few days and there was a fair amount of sunflower seed in the mix.

It's not the kind of thing you like to see happen, but I'm really not sure if it will harm them or not. The sunflower seed shells should provide some roughage to move things on through, but if they were mine, I think I would give them only grass hay for a day or two until I could be sure they are okay. Watch for signs of bloating, discomfort etc. and keep an eye on their poops. You might want to get some infant gas drops to have on hand just in case they have problems with intestinal gas. Sure do hope they are okay!

They have unlimited hay available but they are used to a mostly pellet diet so they really go for the pellets. Our pellets seem to be especially tasty to them.<br /><br />__________ Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:28 pm __________<br /><br />Maybe I will just go ahead and give them some simethicone this evening. I don't see how it could hurt and it might prevent a problem.

What I meant was - remove the pellets for the rest of today and see how they are by tomorrow afternoon. If they only have hay, they'll likely eat it and it will help the pellets move on through.

I know what you meant. They already ate all their daily pellets before dumping the bucket anyway.

Well today the younger doe is bouncing around all over the place like usual. The older doe is flopped in the corner so I touched her head and she jumped up then flopped back down in the corner. I think she's alright. She does like to lay there and it is 82F today for some reason after being 55F for weeks so maybe the heat is just making her less active or maybe she's just settled in and less concerned about things now. She's nowhere near as exciteable as her younger sister. We'll see how she does throughout today. It's bunny moving day.

Back