Doe with the squirts.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allranger

Reaction score
Today when I was cleaning out the cages I noticed that I had a doe with a case of the runs. She seems to be fine other wise, laying around, not acting to sick, not skinny. She does seem to be straining though. Not to be too descriptive but she hunches up and then you hear a greasy sound. This has made her back side kind of swollen. I only mention it because I have not seen this yet.
I think it may be the last batch of food. I am not happy with the feed mill at this point. I have already bought new bags of food so that is not the issue at the moment.
I have moved her back to the good food, gave her a nice pile of hay to eat and am making sure she has enough water.
It is still cold here so we do not have a fly problem yet.
Does any body have some ideas on anything else I should do?

STOP the pelleted feed and NO treats,
feed only Grass-hay and rolled oats.
Make sure the rabbit is drinking, you may have to
syringe feed water, dehydration is a rabbit killer!
Ottersatin, :eek:ldtimer:

Otter is correct. You want to correct this while she is still eating. If she stops, you're in big trouble.

The hay is a good suggestion. Since they're pretty hard to find anywhere right now, I'll spare you the sermon about sycamore leaves.

hay and oats, no pellets.

Give her some food that is constipating if you can (aka bananas)

Get LOTS of fluids into her...feeding some well wetted parsley may help with that if she's a big doe who fights back.

Well, it looks like she is doing fine now. She is back to making round pellets instead of loose stools. Still a little messy but I think she is recovering.

Back