Doe with splayed front legs - possibly preggers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swaggymama

Reaction score
One of my does (flemish giant) has splayed front legs.

I wasn't going to breed her - I just wanted her coat to grow out a little more before she becomes dinner because I want to use her pelt to practice on.... but one of my many 'helpers' put her in with the buck, too, when the other 2 does were bred. Oh well.

So.. because her front legs are splayed.. I mean she gets around, but she's like a seal... :lol: :lol:

I can assume that because she can't really keep her front end up all that great, it's probably going to be an issue if she has babies...yes?

honestly life finds a way, and i would imagine that she'd figure out how to get it done even with her disability. if she can get in a normal nestbox, she'll likely be able to kindle normally. i would be more concerned with her kits developing splay-leg too, but i'm assuming they're all for dinner anyway.

Yes, they're mostly for meat purposes at this time, so it doesn't really matter... I told hubby I wanted to see whether she's even preggers (though she growled at me which she's never done before... ) and then to see how she'd make out... and then make our decision. If she's awesome at momming, then great.. but if not...nothing lost.

The only concerns I can think of are the added weight of pregnancy and full teats causing stress to her front legs and that the milk glands under the front legs tend to be the biggest so I'd worry about them dragging the floor and possibly getting infected

All I can say is put lots of extra hay in for her or something so her boobies don't touch the wire and try to find ways to make it easier for her. I feel sorry for all pregnant animals- to me they always look like they feel too hot and uncomfortable with all the extra milk, even without the splayed legs.

Latest posts

Back