Doe with Pimples on Vent Area *Pictures*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddy2511

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 12 week old, Holland lop doe (Blackbell) who has developed pimples all over her vent sheath (is that what you call it for a doe?). In my rabbitry, I only have 3 other rabbits and a couple of 2 week old kits, aside from this affected doe and her litter mates, whom I have already sold. Blackbell has had no contact with any rabbits outside of my rabbitry.

It doesn't look like I have heard vent disease described (scabby sores around the vent area and later developing on the face), instead these just look like whitehead pimples all over the "sheath" area of her vent. Her sire shows no signs of vent disease or pimples, and her dam, who has a two week old litter currently, shows no obvious signs though I would like to double check her vent again to be sure. It may be slightly darker/redder than normal and a little harder to expose.

(The dam's current litter has had three unexplained kit deaths; though this may have absolutely no relation whatsoever. Kits found dead on the wire in front of the nestbox. One at 5 days old, one 7 days, and another a couple days after that. I still have two remaining kits.)

I last health checked Blackbell at 7+ weeks of age, but I have checked her gender several times in the last two weeks and don't remember seeing this then. The last time I checked, prior to seeing the pimples, was about one week ago (Feb. 27). I don't remember seeing anything like this on any of her litter mates, and they were all group housed. (It was litter of four, and she is the last one left. Her most recent sibling to leave was on the 27th.)

Should I contact the people who purchased her litter mates to let them know what I've found on a doe who was housed with their babies, and see if they are experiencing any problems?

Does anyone know what this is?

And if you have any experience with this problem:
- How do you treat it?
- Is it contagious or dangerous/infectious for my other rabbits?
- How long does it take to treat it?
- At what point could I consider her completely healthy again?

Thanks! :bunnyhop:

-- Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:08 pm --

I will try to get a picture if possible...

Vd is not always scabby. Some times a carrier never shows itself until stressed. There's some other possibles but VD can cause a whole host of problems including kits aborting, early death if severe enough, and sterility. Vd is highly contagious, if that's what it is any surviving offspring, does or bucks bred to suspected and if course suspected pair will need treated.

Abscesses can also mean Pasterella, even tiny ones IF I'm recalling correctly. There's info on rt about it but unsure of where and I'm on a phone so impossible to use search easily.

Pics will be a big help.

Pictures of Blackbell's vent (It's kind of hard to see in these pictures, but the thin skin that surrounds her vulva is covered in tiny white pimples):

21dooic.jpg

2jbwaxk.jpg

2hnuw51.jpg

-- Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:22 pm --

?

-- Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:03 pm --

Would it be safe/a good idea to treat her with duo penicillin, through sub q shots, even if I don't know what she has? <br /><br /> -- Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 am -- <br /><br /> Anyone?

You could but I can't see any spots in the pictures. If you treat and comes back, not VD or not a strain that's easily treated any way if treat n clean cage etc to insure she can't reinfect self.

I don't advise using without really knowing though. Could end up helping along some to be more resistant than would be otherwise. However, if no other options might be only one have. Pen can cause gi upset so probiotics during is a good idea n lots of hay with normal ration if do. Wish was more helpful.

Hm, okay. I was hoping to treat it by keeping her vent clean (should I use alcohol swabs?) and possibly applying some kind of ointment. I was really hoping to try using duramycin-10 soluble powder, but apparently it is on back order everywhere around here, and when it becomes available again it will be by veterinarian prescription only.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, I would appreciate it. She is acting completely healthy other then these "pimples"...

I would NOT use alcohol swabs on her. They are very irritating to the skin. Plus, they will give a burning sensation on her vent. The reason they are by veterinary prescription only is that the antibiotics can be better managed. Therefor we won't have near as many resistant strains of infections. I know it sucks, I have a good friend who owns a feed store. She hates it that she can't sell the water soluble antibiotics for any fowl. They can however still sell the injectable versions of antibiotics if you really need some. I would suggest going to the vet if possible first though. At least then they can help you determine what it is or if you need to worry about it.

Back