Doe with mastitis!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeaTimeBunnies

Reaction score
So I had a doe lose her litter Friday to what I speculate as a snake attack. The snake lost a lot of blood to my doe so I'm fairly certain it won't be coming back. That being said I wasn't able to get her any kits to care for until today, and I noticed one teat felt hard. I squeezed out almost cheese concistancy milk until regular consistancy milk came out, and I continued until the tear was empty. Will it affect the kits, and is there anything I can give her to help her get rid of it? As of right now I'm keeping the teat drained

Did the whole litter die? Sorry if this is in another thread, but I can't remember. In any case, if she no longer is nursing kits, there are several herbs that will help dry up her milk.

Mint ( Mentha species such as peppermint, spearmint etc.), garden sage (Salvia officinalis) and catnip (Nepeta cataria) will all dry up her milk.

I'm not familiar with barberry root as a medicinal, but if michaels4gardens recommends it, that's good enough for me!

MaggieJ":2souxyoe said:
Did the whole litter die? Sorry if this is in another thread, but I can't remember. In any case, if she no longer is nursing kits, there are several herbs that will help dry up her milk.

Mint ( Mentha species such as peppermint, spearmint etc.), garden sage (Salvia officinalis) and catnip (Nepeta cataria) will all dry up her milk.

I'm not familiar with barberry root as a medicinal, but if michaels4gardens recommends it, that's good enough for me!

I use it as a broad spectrum antibiotic-- and sick rabbits like it.. https://www.herbal-supplement-resource. ... -herb.html barberry decoction also kills pinkeye

Back