Doe with cut hock!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I have a doe Ms. Tenino that is on the clock. Today is pan cleaning day (everysunday--some more often) and I noticed she was favoring one leg. I pulled her out and sure enough she has a cut hock...

I swabbed it with a clean wet towel and applied neosporin. She has made a nest and isn't eating too much; her belly is really bulging!

I don't know if she cut it on the box, wire or what?! I actually changed her cage to a newer one (same location and size) she continued eating, drinking etc.

Her sister is also on the clock and made a fantastic nest tonight...

Any other advice?

just keep it as clean as you can, and let it heal. Rabbits will surprise you at how quickly they can get better. :)

She has been washing it diligently. I just want to make sure she heals and is ok with her litter. I had one doe that has a torn mouth from freezing to a water bottle (we hit -5 in early dec). She healed up fine within a week--poor thing. She had gained nicely and is almost ready to meet the bucks... Due to input, she will be a full 6 mos. in Feb.

meat rabbit? I know some folks breed them at 6 months, I really like to wait until they hit 7 months. Give that mental time to grow up. :)

When I have rabbits who have developed sore hocks, I put hay down on the wire like a carpet for a few days. You have to change it daily because they pee and poop on it, but it helps get the healing off to a good start. Good luck on your litters.

Have a good day!

Hey--I added extra hay tonight!

I checked and she kindled two kits--the largest I have ever seen. Last litter was 7, but I stupidly rebred her at three weeks (after attending a Christmas party.... bad me I know--i wanted to see if she would take, yep she did!). So, after this, we are now committed to a 42 day cycle.

Well, the kits look like they are nearly a week old. Both were born on day 31 same as previous litter; they have golf ball sized tummies too.

Mom will have plenty of rest between litters and should be ok raising these two.

Congratulations on the big fat kiddos! They should do really well, AND if you have anyone else due in the next few days, you have room to foster a couple with her! I've decided that I won't have a single kindling again, if I can help it. Life happens sometimes, but I'm not going to risk it again.

(sigh...which means I have to wait until I have another doe to breed before I can breed Vienna :( )

Her sister is on the clock: made a nest Sunday and hit day 28 yesterday... She is large and rotund and quite happy--cannot wait to see what she brings!

Our F1 Crosses have hit 3 weeks--all 13 (litter of 6/7) have done well, one still have a remnant of nest box eye. Some are really full bodied, a couple are thinner/smaller. Certainly a pecking order at the trough. The moms are very aggressive in eating and bull the kits out of the way. I remove each doe for 10 min at night to give them time to eat up.

Latest posts

Back