Doe was bred 12 days ago.... and get this!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
We have a Holland lop doe that we bred on 3/24/16 (12 days ago). This past weekend she pulled a little fur (it was only day #10). We figured this must mean that she is pregnant.

But tonight when I was feeding the bunnies hay I put my hand in her cage and petted he. On the very first stroke she lifted her tail. My wife was watching and couldn't believe it. I petted her again and the tail went straight up.

We looked at each other and I thought "Well I'll find out if she is really pregnant already or not". I carried over to the bucks cage and I could barely get her in the cage before she was ready and waiting! He got her 3 times in about 3 or 4 minutes and she was VERY willing!!!!

So now what??? Will she be due on 4/24/16 (31 days after the first mating on 3/24), or should we plan on 31 days from today? I sure hope that she doesn't have 2 batches only 12 days apart (is that even possible)????

Now what???? OOPS. Maybe I shouldn't have put her in with the buck tonight.

Advice needed............... bad!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Rabbits carry kits in both horns of their uterus with normal pregnancies. Double pregnancies are possible, but about as likely as it occurring with a human.

Pregnant rabbits can still be willing to breed, but...Seems like unusually randy behavior almost always results in pregnancy around here.

Keep a record of both dates.
Put the nesbox in for the first mating just-in-case.
If she kindles then, there will be no need for a second nestbox.

If not, have the box in place according to the second breeding date.

what Zass said. keep both dates. put in a nest as usual on the first due date. if no babies then go ahead and put in box again for the second due date.
Its a possibility she could still have litter as usual on the first due date... But if I had to put money on it I would have to say I would go for her kindling on the second date. but if it were me, I'd want to put in a nest on the first date just in case still.

In my experience, if they pull hair that early then it is almost always a false pregnancy so there's a strong chance the first one didn't take but I would definitely follow the advice above.

My money would be on the 2nd date, as long as you are sure there are no other possibilities (as in there is no possible way she could have been with a Buck BEFORE your first recorded breeding). Most of my false pregnancies occur day 12-18, so around here day 10 would be a little early but my guess is that is what has happened there. Good news is, that in my experience, false pregnancy makes them extra fertile. Which lines up with what Zass said, so fingers are crossed you will get a nice litter! Everyone has given you great advice. Rabbits can keep you guessing so I would also prepare for both dates. While a willingness to breed like that does not deny or confirm a pregnancy, NONE of my Hollands will breed if they even THINK they are pregnant. They are usually super willing as soon as false pregnancy is over, and I have had excellent results:)

We got home tonight and gave her hay........... all she wants to do is carry it around from corner to corner. I'm wondering if mating #1 is really a pregnancy. Ummm...... 18 more days and we will find out for sure.

Anything is possible, some do nest early but it's far more likely it's false. Last time all three of mine had several false pregnancies due to a useless Buck, and I was sure it was happening again when they haystached at 18 days pregnant. Then on day 22 and 24 they were doing it again, and a week later, 18 kits!..keep us posted!

The nest box is full of fur this morning. We put it in with her last night. Still 17 days early.

Back