Doe Wants "It", Buck Doesn't; Help?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldEnglishSilvers88

Reaction score
So I have two pedigreed Silver Foxes. My buck is 11 months old and my doe is almost 7 months old. My buck is a proven breeder (he has sired 6 litters to 3 different does and I just bred him again to a 4th doe for (hopefully) a 7th litter). This doe is a virgin.

So a week ago I brought her to his hutch and they chased each other in circles like rabbits normally do for about 2 minutes, and then he started humping her (no fall offs) but after humping her a few times, he started to pull her fur out? Big wads too :shock: Why does he do this to her? He's never done this before? I don't own my doe's sister but a relative does and they barrowed my buck to breed to her and he bred her without any problems.
She (my doe) lies perfectly still for him and lifts her tail and everything but he keeps pulling out her fur? I do have another buck I can try but he too is a virgin and he has no pedigree.

Can someone please help me out over here?

The buck's behaviour is a bit odd--some do get a bit rough and pull fur, but it seems strange he would only do it with that one doe.

What fur does he pull and what does the doe do when he pulls it? Does she seem in pain?

With chickens, when a rooster pulls feathers or treads too much, people sometimes make "chicken aprons" to protect the hen's back while it heals. Maybe you could use the idea to come up with something for the doe. I know . . . it seems frivolous, but it might just solve the problem. :shrug:

That's been a hard habit to break in some of my bucks, it tends to pop up once they've grown impatient with a doe - I had to give them only friendly, very willing does for a while, or table breed them with a towel over the doe's back so that he would be biting the towel and not her.

Sounds like he can't complete the procedure and is getting frustrated.....
I have a proven doe that has decided she is done with this whole breeding and making babies thing.. she tucks under just enough to make sure the buck can't "get it in" no matter what buck I try or how long I leave them together... table or cage.... she isn't interested in being a ma... too bad for her, because that means she will be stew at the next cull.

I would suggest some of the stuff I read for getting a doe in the mood.... Apple cider vinegar, vitamin supplements, travel etc.... It doesn't sound like the issue is the buck; sounds like the doe to me.

Ok. I had this issue before. I had a beautiful buck and I bred him to my one doe who would go through all the motions and lift. He would go and go and go and go, he'd pull her hair out and everything. But no fall offs I was so confused so one day I managed to get under the cage one day and it looked to me that although she was lifting she was in this really weird position and he couldn't quite get it in. He was definitely a champ when it came to trying. Once when I tried to pull a doe out he attempted to jump on and he fell out of the cage!! Thankfully to my luck it disoriented him just enough that I was able to plop the doe into a laundry basket and pick him back up.

Back