Doe that destroys everything in her cage...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.O.Y. Farm

Reaction score
My NZ doe breaks everything we put in her cage.. we bought a hay feeder for her and she rips it off the wall and destroys it... we tried to put her water bottle on the inside of her cage hoping it would take a bit longer to freeze.. ripped it off and broke the bottle holder... she had a salt lick in her cage as well but that didn't last 5min!
We give her sticks and things to chew on and play with and she throws them around and chases them... Is there a reason she could be doing this?? Or is she just destructive?

It sounds like she is bored. Try giving her a small can (tuna cans work well) that she can fling around. Some rabbits like to make noise. :)

I also buy whiffle balls at the dollar store and tiny golf ball sized ones (for putting practice) at Walmart. Other options are toilet paper and paper towel tubes, a cardboard box to shred, pine cones to chew on, etc.

Maybe take her out of the cage and let her run around. Some animals are just not good at being kept cooped up all the time. Give her a phonebook, those are usually thick and plenty to destroy that should last longer than one day.

Phonebook is a good idea!! we have a few that we were going to toss.

With all the snow on the ground right now she hasn't gotten out in a while... I will have to let her out in one of our goat stalls to run around...

We made hay holders that fit on the outside of the cage so they take up less room and they can still pull it through. Ours aren't so destructive, but they do like to have things to do in there. They really like the toilet paper tubes and they have a ball that's pretty hard rubber just a bit bigger than a golf ball...it has ridges on it so they can pick it up as well as push it around. They're similar to the Kong toys, with a hole through the middle, so we stuff those with hay as well...let them pull it out which makes the ball roll around as well.

make sure the ink is soy-based and non-toxic.
how old is she? might be time for her to become a mama.
tuna cans are great...i keep a couple of dozen on hand.

grumpy.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
I gave her a phonebook this morning and found a whiffle ball in my brother's outdoor toys and gave her that..

grumpy, she will be a year old within the next few months... We will either be breeding her for her first litter in Feb. or March.. I am thinking we will breed her in March for April kits, we already have four goats due in March to kid... don't want too many little ones at one time! lol!

Back