doe problems

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starshotbandit

Reaction score
Two of my does have had a change in aditude. At this point I dont really know about one that I just got, but the other I have had for months. The one that i have had for months is Oops a pedgreed Californian and she was a very nice pet/show rabbit only 3 monthe old when I got her. She is now 6 months and has becone very highstrung, spooking easy, striking at me, grunting,and mounting other females. I figured it was due to being ready to breed, she would present her hind end in the corect manner. After introducing her to a male she got worse, when I open up her hutch she runs and jumps bashing her head into the corners. I love this doe but if this continues I will have to get rid of her I can't have my kids around that, not to say anything about her own kits. The other rabbit, is a very new adition to the small herd that i have. I responded to an add for a free rabbit, I saked if she bites, they said no never has. Went to go look at her ,nice size black an white Nails were 2ni long kept in an 18X20 wire dog ceate with no bedding, wood blocks to chew on and her hind end covered in urin... She came home. Let her settle into the Hutch for a few days, then started bringing her into the houes every thing was great, dident even pee on the carpet. well yesterday I brought her into my kid room for a while then I had to start dinner so my kid came with me,left the rabbit in the room. Came back in a few times to check on her. The last time i came in I sat down put my hand out to pet her, she ran, I let her she went into a corner, I was talking quietly the whole time, I moved over buy her put my hand out again and she came at me with her teeth and claws she got me good on the thumb :x . This is the first time I have been bitten like that. I have been niped and such befor any one have any ideas? :(

It can take awhile for rabbits to calm down and as they go through different hormonal changes, they can go back and forth. Usually they chill out after all the different hormones and nothing bad happens during them.

first time breeding Oops. ( the first doe). Today she is better can pet her head and most of her body with only a little twiching(and some dried apple peals). The older doe did give me a small false charge,then let me pet her. I am moer used to horses, goats,catsand dogs, where backing down means you get hurt. I had rabbits years ago and had no problems at all. The only problem with my first doe was that she kept trying to breed my boyfriend, then plucking his arm hair and hers to make a nest.<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:24 pm __________<br /><br />I was hoping it was just a hormonal problem with Oops.

I have a Cali doe who was one ornery girl when I would put her in with a buck. Once she finally kindles her first litter (3) she settled down and is really friendly now. Good thing,because her first try didnt take, and she had an attitude. I had decided if she didnt take the 2nd time, she was goin to the freezer because I will not under any circustance tolerate a mean rabbit. We captured a Cali that was running free and showed up hanging around our rabbit shed. I put it in a cage, and first time I reached in to get the water crocks, it charged and was mean and nasty. I gave it a couple days to settle down, and no dice. She went to the freezer.

The second doe is doing a little better todat. she tries to bite if she doesent like what you r doing.I think this might be what she did to get out of things at her previous home.Should I pester her till she gives up? How do you diasplen a rabbit? Rabbit is small. I havent brought her back in the house. I do agree with puting her on the table. I'll breed her to my nwe zeland and if that doesent work, on the table she goes. I hate to give up so quickly on an animal, but there r so many more good ones out there for me to waste my time with a freebie.

I just wear thick clothing/gloves and let them try what they want. They realize I won't retreat, and they're just wasting their energy, and learn to just sulk in the corner while I'm doing what they disprove of.

starshotbandit":1xeunk05 said:
but there r so many more good ones out there for me to waste my time with a freebie
This is why i said before... she came with her problem to somone else to deal with. I would cull this rabbit as it can pass on to her babies.<br /><br />__________ Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:41 am __________<br /><br />
starshotbandit":1xeunk05 said:
If the dog bites I smack him.
Stuff like this you really have to watch what you put on any forum.. I am a dog lover i could of took that a wrong way... and any one that love horses can as well.

Latest posts

Back