Doe peeing on kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamsFamilyFarm

Reaction score
What causes the doe to pee on the kits? My doe just did that and soaked them and the box. I cleaned them and have them under a heat lamp to warm them back up good before I put them back outside. Anything else I need to do?

some does are idiots. one litter fine,do it again, you are gone.
keep a doe from this litter to act as a backup should you need to remove her.

as to WHY they do it...I have no earthly clue.

Some thoughts.
1. predator, hide babies (though this makes no sense since pee would make them more apparent)
2. using the area as a litter box (poop one place, pee another)
3. lack of brains
4. lack of parenting skills
5. doesn't like parenting and over time an excellent way to kill off your kits

I don't know why some does do it. Once could be sort of accidental, but I tend to think (unsubstantiated opinion here) that if a doe pees on her kits habitually that it is an act of rejection or aggression. About all you can do at this point is what you are doing: changing the bedding, warming them up and being vigilant. You could remove the nest box to the house and just return it for twice daily feedings until the kits have their eyes open and are mobile, but if he mothering instincts are weak this is not likely to strengthen them. Cross you fingers that it was a one-time goof and lay in some extra bedding (dryer lint, feathers from a pillow, teased cotton balls or batting, even shredded newspaper) so you have it available in case of need.

The kits are 8 & 9 days old. I had to foster 3 to this doe. They are moving around a bit and getting big (except the runt, I'm still feeding it some). I still have them inside. All are clean, warm and happy. I still need to clean out the box. She's been a good mom until this. On a good note, I finally got Sleepers to breed. This is the 3rd round I've tried. She missed the first two. All went well last night. Hopefully it takes. I was giving her one last chance before replacing her. I guess the threat worked. :)

how many popples does she have?
does she have a litter box?

I'd offer her a litter box of some sort - and consider putting the nest box elsewhere - I wonder if the nest box ended up in her natura potty spot ...

Brody":329mqutt said:
how many popples does she have?
does she have a litter box?

I'd offer her a litter box of some sort - and consider putting the nest box elsewhere - I wonder if the nest box ended up in her natura potty spot ...
Thats usually why they do it! She is naturally litter trained AND has lack of brains lol

It's certainly worth a try following Brody's suggestion. It just seems odd that she has been okay with them for over a week and then suddenly pees on them. But if you normally take the box into the house and only returned it to her for them to feed... maybe she just had to go and that is her spot! I hope it turns out to be that simple! (Good thinking, Brody!)

They have been outside with her the whole time, except for the one I have to supplement (sometimes it gets fed, other times not). The nest box was in with her for several days before (I wasn't taking chances after one doe delivered a week early and lost all 12) and she never used it as a litter box. She has been fine with it for 9 days and decided to do it today. Go figure. I did put them back in and checked on them later and they were fine. I'm about to send one of the kids to go check again. After all, they are THEIR rabbits! :)

could also be that she likes her kits still and quiet, and now that they are starting to move around a bit she doesn't like it so thought she'd pee on them as a dominance thing.

Go figure small brains sometimes. :)

Latest posts

Back