Doe overheating!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
our cali doe is starting to bleed from her nose due to rapid breathing--mid 90's here. She is in shade and had a frozen water btl. I just brought her in and have given her lettuce to increase hydration. She is now in a 75 degree room; much cooler may be a shock I think. how long for her to regain composure? I can bring her nest in as well.

You can help her cool quickly by holding ice to the insides of her ears. I understand that bleeding from the nose is a critical sign, and her temp must be brought down as quickly as possible. Ilovebunnies did this with Thumper once, and I believe she saved his life. He wasn't quite to the bleeding nose stage, but he would have been there pretty soon, I think.

I think she is in better shape--eating lettuce, chard and oats. Her nose looks more normal in color and her breathing isn't labored. How long will I need to keep her like this? I can bring the litter in for feeding etc, but the spouse isn't going to want a house rabbit; temps cool down midweek.

I don't know how long, but if you can swing keeping her inside until the temps cool in a few days, I'd try for that!

That would give her the chance to really recover, so she is in less danger of relapsing. Glad to hear she seems to be feeling better. :)

Glad she's feeling better this morning. There is a lot of difference between having a hospital cage in the house and having a house bunny. You do what you need to do for your animals. In this case, putting her back out before the temperatures drop would be asking for a recurrence of the problem.

we have zones which are ok with my VERY patient spouse for hospital care - a front porch, the laundry room, the basement are the kind of spots he will tolerate more than he thinks is reasonable in the house ... a hospital/critical care unit is often best set up out of the direct path of house action anyhow - sickies need peace and quiet to recover ...
glad she's doing better ... I'm really quite shocked with how my dark furry rabbits handle the heat this year - I think it's because they get out in the run and can find their own shade and breeze

I've been very surprised, too, Brody... even the couple of days that it's been in the 90s and we didn't remember to put ice bottles out, or we weren't here to do so, they've all been fine. The one time that Thumper overheated was before the rabbitry was built. Since they've been in the rabbitry, we've had no problems. Those two times, I was afraid to round the corner to check on the rabbits (one was yesterday - we were gone longer than I expected). But when I got there, everybody's heads were up, and when I went in, they were all fine and responding like normal! I'm sure it helps that the rabbitry gets some shade on the roof in the morning, but that's mostly gone by noon. I can remember only two days in the last several months that were not in the 90s or around 100!

How'd your bunny do overnight, CH?

this is one of the does that survived enteritis, I think she is just a little weaker than the others. her condition was good and she is eating and drinking just fine this am. it is 60 now, she immediately nursed her litter when I put her out and ate and drank. she will come in again around noon until 11pm and again tomm. this should keep her at a comfy 70 or so--avoiding the 85+.

Latest posts

Back