Doe or Buck?!?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So my little bun Butterball is about a year old and starting to look more like a doe than a buck but when my dad and I both have checked him he looks to be a buck... I haven't payed much attention to the undersides of rabbits but I'm pretty sure boys don't have nipples or grow a dewlap... He *uhm it?* seems to have both could I get some help? Could this be a super late sex change?? Was "it" always a she? Do I have a he/she or what?

bucks can grow dewlaps. :) usually small, but quite possible.

posting a picture of his privates would help us help you. :)

But he has nipples?! I mean I wouldn't have noticed but I happened to rub over his belly and was wondering how he must've gotten a tick this early in the year I will try to post a pick of the nether-land regions later

All mammals have nipples, Buttons.
Post a money shot and we'll tell you whether it's a boy or girl. There should be no doubt at this age.

Well his/her nipples were like larger than I feel a normal bucks would be his brother same age does not have this so much confused I will post a pic soon as possible

CochinBrahmaLover":1qjc6lwu said:
It's easy. Do you see balls? If so, he's a buck, without a doubt. No balls? A doe.

Sometimes animals are weird.

By this age the testicles should be clearly visible. Sometimes they are much larger than this, but here is a typical example of what you might expect to see on a sexually mature buck

netherland-dwarf.jpg

ButtonsPalace":cl2yj10g said:
Oh god if Butterball is a she and has been living with her brother oh god

Then I would be surprised that they didn't already have babies.

__________ Sun May 03, 2015 7:53 pm __________

Maybe her brother is a girl too? :shrug: <br /><br /> __________ Sun May 03, 2015 7:55 pm __________ <br /><br /> Or maybe they're both boys after all

At a year old you should see testicles, but from that shot it's impossible to tell. You have to push down the front the fur covering the genitals, so we can see what's inside. At this age, it should be pretty obvious when you do that.

Front fur cover ok sorry I broke my camera and was trying to work with my laptop and a wiggly rabbit. I will try again tonight *Got school this morning and then homework for days* <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 05, 2015 8:39 pm __________ <br /><br /> So I put him/her in a cage with a receptive doe and it showed no interest and actually back up into the corner of the cage and like bunched up like a doe would...

Mammals can't change sex at any age. It is determined when sperm meets egg and that is it. Our jokes of the "sex change fairy" are rabbits that weren't sexed right. Rabbits are one of the more difficult animals when young. As adults it should be quite obvious when you have a buck with testicles and a much easier to extend and see penis than when they are immature.

Well the last time they were sexed is when they were about 8 months and it was said they were both bucks. Well I just put him with a doe as I said and he backed up in a corner. He was like scared of her. She even come over and sniffed him and then went about her own business and I was like umm ok then lol

That doesn't prove anything. I'm afraid the only way to know for sure is to look.

Here, this should help.

Boy (note the round opening)
male-rabbits-penis-pictures.jpg

Girl (note the slit)
female-rabbit-genitals.jpg

Susie570":2c14c7gg said:
Post a money shot and we'll tell you whether it's a boy or girl. There should be no doubt at this age.

Interesting fact: male mice don't have nipples. If you last checked butterball at 8 months then it isn't likely you got the sex wrong. It is very easy to tell at that age.

Well i'm not like a pro master at sexing rabbits. I could look at my doe and if it weren't for the fact she has had babies and is going to have babies I'd probably be very confused and not be able to tell you which. I will definitely check again this afternoon and let you guys know what I find

cmfarm":se1oek3b said:
Susie570":se1oek3b said:

Interesting fact: male mice don't have nipples.

Wow!! I just looked it up. Mice are, apparently, one of the very few mammals in which the males do NOT have nipples! Horses are another. The article did not cite any other mammals. o.0

Well today I went out checked a buck so I knew what I was looking for with my two "bucks" yep they are does. Both girls... I feel pretty silly we just kinda assumed they were bucks cause Butterball would hump her sister but since they are sharing a cage it must be dominance since now I know does do hump for dominance just like dogs will thank you guys <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 12, 2015 5:09 am __________ <br /><br /> Well they must have been does. My REW Butterball had a litter of 6 on the wire THANK GOD I happened to go out there to get Buttons ready to go to my mom's house. Butterball was super cool and let me move all six wiggly popples from the wire to a box and move her to. Well to be exact here is the story... A bunch of stuff not necessary to this story is going on so I am kinda "secretly" moving in with my mom, well every afternoon I come home from school take my stuff in the house fill up a gallon size jug and get my bowl of pellets and head out. Well all cages looked normal and then you had Butterball and Bulldozer's cage. Butterball looked like she had exploded the fur was wet to *from rain* I joked with my parents about it and they said she was just shedding. Well after they left for work I went out to get Buttons water bottle and such off/out of her cage and I seen something black in Butterball's cage upon further inspection I was pleasantly surprised with what looks to be 5 chin? and 1 white? baby. I will post pictures later on today for color

Latest posts

Back