doe or buck????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hattie

Reaction score
We are looking at getting a second rabbit. Hattie our current bun is 1yr old not spayed. Are we better off to get a younger bun? (Were looking at youngins) would you get a buck or a doe? also which is easier on the buns spray or neuter? Hattie had a bunny condo and has free reign of the first floor all day. I know her and the buck would have to be separated until one is alerted. I want to make this as un stressful on her as possible. Thank you.

Bonding rabbits is hit-or-miss. Like people they have individual personalities and often even altered animals still do not get along.
Sometimes even unaltered bucks inexplicably get along. So yeah. Depends on the rabbit :D

A neuter is less invasive and often less costly, and most people seems to find bucks to be the friendlier gender.

My sweetest and most personable rabbits are all does. :shrug:

Thank you. Just don't want babies running around lol. I'm not even sure she wants a friend our if she's happy and content being a single bun

My advice above all else is find "neutral territory," that she has never chinned or scented to bond them.
When you introduce them put them in a room, or set up an exercise pen somewhere she never goes and hasn't marked or chinned. Because, if you put a strange bunny in her space she will probably get really territorial and want to drive out the intruder, and protect her space and her stuff. And be prepared to keep them in separate spaces until they get along. Really the best thing to do if your really want them to get along, I think, would be to create a whole new space for them and abandon whatever space she has called home, so she won't be territorial.
I'd probably also get a male and neuter- so much less expensive and I think she might bond a little better to a male than a female.

I'm not sure when bucks can be neutered. HRS says as soon as their testicles descend.
I have noticed on here that some people have had problems with them being able to breed before vets are willing to preform the surgery.

Having a buck neutered young, before mounting and spraying behaviors become habit is a good idea, but leaving them unsupervised together while waiting for his testicles to descend so the vet can preform the surgery is probably a bad idea.

Called the best rabbit vet around (30 min trip one way) spay $240 neuter $215. As for dinner Hattie hasn't been that's kind of a problem since she has free reign of the house all day, and in her bunny condo at night to sleep.

I bet Hattie is perfectly happy being an only rabbit. :)

I haven't ever attempted to "bond" rabbits, but when I had a house bunny she got along well with our cats and my small dog. Have you maybe considered a kitten, or even a small bird? Animals of different species will often bond very strongly... and it is a lot less expensive to spay or neuter a cat than a rabbit! :p

Hubs is allergic to cats. We have a 40lb dog who thankfully has stopped trying to eat her but they pay no attention to each other. Hattie is under the couch most of the day. I was wondering if I could use my kids pool? Hattie could jump out to get away if she wanted and they could be watched until he's old enough. The one were looking at is almost 2 months old.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 2,646
What a cute little guy! :D

Hattie":3rbvaok3 said:
I was wondering if I could use my kids pool? Hattie could jump out to get away if she wanted and they could be watched until he's old enough.

When you bring a new rabbit home, it is always wise to quarantine for at least thirty days. He may have something that will only show itself when he has been stressed (by moving to a new home, for instance), so you will want to keep him in a separate room of the house and care for him after you care for Hattie.

As for the kid's pool idea, she is more likely to just attack him rather than retreating from him. When you introduce them, I would do it in his "quarantine room" if he makes it through quarantine with no signs of illness. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places and obstacle to block direct lines of sight so they can retreat rather than confront each other.

Ok thx. Hubs just said why can't we get another female I said we can I just thought it might be easier to bond a male and female.

Does generally do not get along unless raised together. But there are exceptions of course. Generally unaltered does are far more territorial due to their need to have a safe nesting spot. Their hormones are strong. So yeah a male is a safet gamble but not necessarily a sure one. I have two does that somehow manage to alwys be in each others cages. They are side by side with a partition and the tiniest of spaces between the partition and roof and somehow they manage to climb and squeeze through to cuddle. But these two have been raised together since eight weeks.

Latest posts

Back