Doe not breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasharia

Reaction score
I have a Elop doe that is 11mo and need to get her bred. I tried my buck here and she just lays flat I even try lifting her for the buck nothing. She I brought her to my friends house and she tried her buck samething. She is caged right by the buck and still nothing. I am at my wits end she is a wonderful do I need to get her bred this month. She will be 1 in April What can I do to help her get in the mood :mrgreen: I need Elop babies lol

What are you feeding?

I suggest adding apple cider vinegar (the natural kind) to her drinking water at a rate of 2 tablespoons per gallon. I'd also give her some dark leafy greens (parsley, carrot tops, dandelion, wheat grass) for the Vitamin A and a couple of teaspoons of raw wheat germ or 5-6 drops of wheat germ oil for Vitamin E. Not guaranteeing it will help, but sometimes a shortage of these nutrients will result in reluctance to breed. And they won't hurt your rabbit in these quantities, even if the feed is adequate on its own. Continue this for at least two weeks to make up any deficiencies.

I give her her feed that is mana pro 5 part to 1 part each race horse oats, black oil sunflower seeds and barly. Then she fets a cup of mix veggies everyother day that is sweet poatoes, clover and TnA hay and some oat grass. I will try what you said thank you.

That sounds like a more than adequate diet to me, Jasharia. The apple cider vinegar may help though. Oat grass and greens should cover the Vitamin A and the grain the Vitamin E. So the problem may well not be nutritional. Maybe she is just stubborn. Try breeding early in the morning... Sometimes that helps.

When was the last time she bred? I hear that Elop Does, sometimes, can lose their interest if there is too much time inbetween matings.

Is she pudgy? I recently had an over-weight visiting doe not want to breed. Maybe she was self-conscious! :lol:

Seriously though, I have heard that being on the plump side can be a cause of low fertility for many animals--including people!--it is tricky, because a "diet" doesn't always immeadiately help. You want to slim them down and then start feeding a bit more, then they seem to decide it was winter(famine), and now it is spring(fresh food, time to breed).

With the visiting doe, we resorted to lifting her for the buck. Luckily both are very calm, gentle animals. I have yet to hear whether she "took". I would not prefer that method with my own stock though, I would prefer they breed themselves!

Jasharia,
I believe you have a feed problem.
Black oils are fat producing, too much fat developed on the fallopian tubes
will negate pregnancy. Stop or at least lesson the amount of BOSS to just a few seeds.
Cut back on the feed to about half, you want the Doe and all your rabbits
to be anxious when you go to feed. Try placing an obstacle [like a section of PVC pips
or a section of four by four] between the feed ans water source.
The rabbit will have to jump or climb over to get to each.
Sort of a rabbit Gymnasium. Also check you Doe and Buck before placing for breeding.
The Doe's genitals should be slightly swollen and bright red to purple in color
for her to be receptive. If she is pale white and shriveled don't waste your time.
Try again next day and for four days after that. Within that time frame she should become receptive.
The ACV was a very good suggestion, but if the rabbit is overweight it will not work.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

haha...rabbit gymnasium! That's a great idea! I should try that for my mini rex buck. He just sits there all day getting fat and not wanting to breed. I just placed him on a diet. I was going to walk him on a bunny harness, but your gym idea is better! Maybe I will do both. :)

Well she does get out everyday for a run for about 1hr and she is very active. She is a big rabbit about 1l lb or more. I will cut back a little on the Boss if I do too much they tend to loose flesh it sucks. When you feel her back and rump you still feel the back but not every bone in her back and hips. I am going to pick her up next weekend but I will tell my friend to lay off the boss a bit and give the ACV if that don't work I will try the pvc pipes at home.

The "pudgy" doe I was talking about was very...um...pudgy. She kind of spread out when she lay down, and her chin just dissappeared into her dewlap. She was clearly inactive. If your doe is young and active, she may indeed just be stubborn. Which means I am out of suggestions! I have yet to run into a doe that was that stubborn without a weight issue.

Back