Doe mounting buck.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
I checked Julie this morning, and decided she was ready to put in with the buck. This is the doe that had 3 live kits, a still born, and then ended up losing 2 more kits. She missed on her first breeding, and is now down to only one kit.

I put her in with the buck, and she didn't run or act like I would typically expect. She wouldn't stand for him, and within a few seconds, she was actually turning on the buck, mounting him, and trying to breed him. I watched her for a couple minutes more just to be sure that's what I was seeing, and she did the same thing. She was pursuing him, and mounting him to breed. She did this like 3 times. To me this would mean that she is in heat, but why wouldn't she just stand for him then?

It was a nice cool day, following a nice cool night, and everyone was alert and active. Can anyone tell me what this type of behavior means from this doe, and should we just keep trying her?

It means she is showing him that she is Top Bunny! LOL Put her back in there, she is ready.

What a brat she is!!! :wall: I swear, this doe is going to end up in the kettle! :lol:

At least when a doe mounts the buck, you know she is hot to trot. The ones that frustrate me are the ones that plaster their butts to the ground.

One more nice thing about a colony! The rabbits take care of their own breeding, on their own time. :)

My creme doe is a real pain if she hasn't been bred close enough together. Hormones get so wild that she spends a good 5-10mins chasing the buck around mounting him and refusing to stay still. When I bred her in a cage last I scruffed her and kept her there. Mostly she's in colony though. I did use the toe of my boot to shove her off a buck once so he could turn and get a hold of her. Once he finally mounts her she lifts just fine and then flounces off kicking her back legs at him and refuses to let him near for a few minutes before they do it all again. I've been pulling the buck from the colony after just 2 breedings because of her attitude and had 7 and 8 kits the past 2 litters. Now I have a buck to leave in that colony after I give this doe a break for a month. Hopefully she doesn't tear the colony divider down again trying to find a buck. This doe just refuses to go without being bred.

I tried her again last evening, and she did the same thing, but became much more aggressive this time. I left her in with the buck while I was doing my horse chores, and she fought him the whole time, trying to breed him. I pulled her out when it became aggressive, she was literally ticked off, and started trying to pin, and bite the buck.

I had tried her with my best buck also, he's usually the one that gets the job done right away, if the other buck can't get the doe to stand. He couldn't even get her to settle. :?

I tried scruffing her, I tried holding her back end up, and nothing worked. What I did do, that I don't know if it will work, or if it was the right thing to do or not, but as I took her out of the cage, her front end was out and down slightly, and her back end was still in the cage. The tail came up, the buck mounted, squealed, and fell off. We will see how it goes I guess.

Yup, just checked her again with the buck, and no shenanigans at all, no mounting the buck, no biting, no aggressive behavior. She hid in the corner, squawking at him the whole time. Sneaky sneaky! :lol:

I figured it couldn't hurt, this doe hasn't got a real good track record thus far, and this is her third try to see how it goes. We will see.

Latest posts

Back