Doe is early

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanni

Reaction score
I have an experienced doe. She has had 2 litters of 7 and raised 6 both times. A very attentive mommy. She is not due until Feb. 11. When I went out to the barn this morning, there is fur EVERYWHERE! Mostly it is in her hidey hole. A nice fluffy nest. There is alot under her cage as well. Could she really be having them this early? Can they make it? Is there anything I can do at this point?

It's probably just the hormones making her nest, I doubt she would actually be having them. The 11th is only 8 days away. I've had rabbits nest and pull fur 2 weeks before their due date, and one of my current does with a litter pretty much spent her entire gestation period making various nests with fur.

I agree with Devon. If you've been getting cold weather (please add your state or province to your profile so we know where you are!) that could stimulate more fur pulling. Rabbits have good instincts to guide their behaviour for the most part. In any case, i know of nothing you can do if she has them early, so just hope for the best. :clover:

I have two does that built a nest right about the same distance from their due date. One has built her's early before, the other never does... but the temps dropped 30 degrees below normal this week. Both build pretty elaborate nests, but no fur pulled yet. I think they can just tell they're going to need it.

She ended up not being that early after all! I went out to the barn this morning and she was just sitting on the wire. I looked in the nest box, didn't see anything, so I put my hand in there and found a warm spot! I found 5 babies! :D 4 are warm, one is like ice :( It was buried like the rest, but off to the side of the bunnypile. It looks like it's ankle was nearly chewed through. Maybe it got stuck? I put it in my shirt pocket and brought it in the house, but it's gone.

Glad she waited. My does will start working on nests with the hay I give them a full week and a half before they are due. I panicked the first time, but now I don't.

Sorry about the one that didn't make it; lots of things can happen, including getting stuck. They say a kit isn't dead until it's warm and dead, so it's good you put it in your pocket and brought it inside.

Congratulations on the litter! :bouncy:

Latest posts

Back