Doe Eats Nothing But Leafy Greans

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Meadows

Reaction score
I have a young doe who has been acting funny on me. First she was a little bit sniffley after I moved her into the rabbit barn from outside, so, afraid of snuffles I moved her back outside and gave her tons of green grass, a little yogurt, and some vinegar water to help boost her immune system. It seems to have helped, but now, like the title said, she eats nothing but yogurt and fresh grass, which she eats like I have been starving her. she won't eat hay, or her pellets and hasn't been drinking a ton. I would assume that if she had a blockage of some type all the grass and yogurt would have cleared it up by now. :?:

I would try coating her pellets with a little watered down black strap molasses. Hopefully that will encourage her to try them again.

If she is on a water bottle or valve system I would also give her a crock of water. She may not be drinking enough so prefers the greens with their water content.

Try offering her some plain old fashioned oatmeal too. Rabbits who refuse pellets often still take oats.

I've noticed that rabbits who have a digestive imbalance sometimes refuse pellets for a while. I usually just give them what they want, all the while keeping the pellets and hay available.
So far 100% have moved themselves back to their regular diet with time.

I would at least stop the yogurt. It can cause greater digestive upset and gas that contributes to GI stasis. Herbivores are not designed for dairy, most yogurt contains added sugar, and many don't even have useful bacteria cultures. Acidophilus capsules or bene bac type products are better. You can also take a fresh poop from a healthy rabbit, cecal poop is even better, and dissolve it to give a rabbit with a digestive disorder. It seems gross to us but it's pretty normal to animals. It contains everything they need to digest everything the other animal has already adjusted to eating.

akane":3ssic93z said:
I would at least stop the yogurt. It can cause greater digestive upset and gas that contributes to GI stasis. Herbivores are not designed for dairy, most yogurt contains added sugar, and many don't even have useful bacteria cultures. Acidophilus capsules or bene bac type products are better. You can also take a fresh poop from a healthy rabbit, cecal poop is even better, and dissolve it to give a rabbit with a digestive disorder. It seems gross to us but it's pretty normal to animals. It contains everything they need to digest everything the other animal has already adjusted to eating.

Great comment...

Thanks!
akane":579q5xw2 said:
I have only given her two spoonfuls separated by a few days, so I think that won't hurt too much. We make our own yogurt, so it shouldn't have any sugar :) . I also think that she might be having trouble with her water bottle, as it is a different tip than the one she had before I'll try switching it around and see what happens.

Back