Doe died after giving birth?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumatra

Reaction score
I just found her a few minutes ago. I have no idea what happened. She was raised in the same way as all the other rabbits, fed the same, and everything else. Is this one of those not-common-but-not-unusual-occurrences? I can't think of anything that could have possibly gone wrong.

But more importantly does anyone have any ideas about what to do with orphaned kits?

They're currently in a nest box with kits that are 2 weeks older for warmth. Was putting them there a bad idea? Should I take them out?

I saw that kits need that first colostrum in order to do well, and I don't think they've gotten that. Thankfully, I have another doe due today or tomorrow. Should I put them with her? Before or after she delivers? And will she have enough colostrum for 2 litters? There are 5 kits.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

ETA: Wrong count. 4 more were hiding. 2 are okay, one cold, and one small.

Oh my, that's a bad situation.

First, if you consider handraising them:
updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html

If it were me, I would try to swap them with the 2 week old litter for a meal (it doesn't hurt them to miss one, or every second, I would offer them watered, and a little sugared kitchen kitchen oatmeal instead), and then try the formula.
And also put some to the other doe when she kindles, adding up her litter to 11 or even 12 if she's a good milker (free feed her everything, oatmeal, BOSS...)

It will be a lot of work, and I would not expect that many of them will make it. I think some would cull the litter, there is no decision that is really wrong as long as you do what you think is best, considering your whole situation.

Anyhow, :good-luck:

You don't give your location but I'm guessing she died of heat exhaustion giving birth. I would just foster the kids and if you're going to hand feed the kids, only do it to the older ones.

Heat might have been a factor. Toxemia may have been an issue. It's often stated that it can kill right before birth, but, I'm sure it can kill shortly after too.

http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.ph ... cy_toxemia

I agree with fostering as many as possible.
You do have the option to cull the weakest or smallest kits from one (or both) litters to give the stronger ones more of a chance to make it.

Sumatra":3p09g1pz said:
They're currently in a nest box with kits that are 2 weeks older for warmth. Was putting them there a bad idea? Should I take them out?

I would be worried the larger kits would suffocate the smaller ones but I haven't had any direct experience with this so don't really know if that would be the case or not.

I would definitely try to foster some of the orphaned kits to the doe that is due today or tomorrow.

Preitler":3bhysbb3 said:
Oh my, that's a bad situation.

First, if you consider handraising them:
updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html

If it were me, I would try to swap them with the 2 week old litter for a meal (it doesn't hurt them to miss one, or every second, I would offer them watered, and a little sugared kitchen kitchen oatmeal instead), and then try the formula.
And also put some to the other doe when she kindles, adding up her litter to 11 or even 12 if she's a good milker (free feed her everything, oatmeal, BOSS...)

It will be a lot of work, and I would not expect that many of them will make it. I think some would cull the litter, there is no decision that is really wrong as long as you do what you think is best, considering your whole situation.

Anyhow, :good-luck:
Thank you for the info and the link. I think I can get the right colostrum, probiotics, and goat milk in stores around here, if it turns out to be needed.

Okay, that sounds like a good idea. About the oatmeal, should it be cooked or just mixed with water? I could also grind it in the blender if making it smoother would be good.

I'll be doing that then. Unfortunately I don't know how good a milker she is, but whatever can help more kits survive would be good. She'll be free-fed, and probably be given herbs regularly since I have plenty of raspberry and strawberry around. Too bad there's no milk thistle.

I'm not a person to cull under any circumstance though, and will be trying my best to save them all.

Thank you! :)

a7736100":3bhysbb3 said:
You don't give your location but I'm guessing she died of heat exhaustion giving birth. I would just foster the kids and if you're going to hand feed the kids, only do it to the older ones.
Oops, I hadn't noticed that, thanks! Is my location visible now? I posted it on my profile, but I'm not sure if it's publicly viewable. It's possible that's what happened. It's been very hot the past few days, and although it was actually cooler today, I have no idea the effects it could have had on a kindling doe.

-- Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:29 pm --

Zass":3bhysbb3 said:
Heat might have been a factor. Toxemia may have been an issue. It's often stated that it can kill right before birth, but, I'm sure it can kill shortly after too.

http://vetbook.org/wiki/rabbit/index.ph ... cy_toxemia

I agree with fostering as many as possible.
You do have the option to cull the weakest or smallest kits from one (or both) litters to give the stronger ones more of a chance to make it.
Huh. That is a possibility. Thanks for the link. I will be doing more research on it. What could cause Toxemia? She was fed daily just like everyone else, so I don't think she was obese. Although I hear rabbits tend to hide that well. Same for exercise rates. But I'm not sure what circulating fatty acids means.

Yes, I will be fostering as many as possible.

alforddm":3bhysbb3 said:
Sumatra":3bhysbb3 said:

I would be worried the larger kits would suffocate the smaller ones but I haven't had any direct experience with this so don't really know if that would be the case or not.

I would definitely try to foster some of the orphaned kits to the doe that is due today or tomorrow.
So far a few hours later, it seems like the younger kits have stayed in a group in the middle, while the older ones are more spread out towards the back. So suffocation doesn't seem likely, but I will be watching them if they do get together. Thank you for addressing that part.

The odd part is, they were both bred on the same day. June 8th. So I wonder what got her to kindle so early. <br /><br /> -- Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:11 am -- <br /><br /> Update:

The newborn kits look fed this morning, but you all were right on the 2 week olds maybe having to skip a meal.

They all somehow came out of their nest box(something they haven't done before) and were found chasing after the doe all over the cage this morning. How they got out, I have no idea. The front of the nest box is 6 inches high, and the fur/hay in there shouldn't be that tall to allow them to escape.

I gave them a bit of thin warmed oatmeal and they seem to have settled down now.

Back