Doe Cages

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legalyaker

Reaction score
Currently getting back in to Dutch after a 20 year break. I can not remember the cage size I used for does back then. I'm also limited more on space as my barn will be my garage for the time being.

I'm thinking 24x30 for does with litter which seems to comply with AWA requirements. I would like to potentially use the 24x30 cages as buck cages for a commercial breed maybe down the road. Other option would be 30x30 for dutch does and litter and/or commercial breed buck but I can get one more stack of 3 cages in with 24x30.

Also, does anyone use separate kindling/weaner cages in their system?

I don't know how large dutch rabbits get. But I have NZW does (about 7-9lbs) and their cages are 24''x24''x48'' and a NZW/Cal buck (about 7-8lbs) in a 24''x24''x36''.

Hope that helps,
Cathy

Then you might be able to get away with a 24x36 for a doe and a 24x24 for a buck. How many kits, on average, do they have per litter? Mine had 7 and 9 for my first two litters and they take up a lot of room. Even placed a shelf so the does can get away from their little rugrats. LOL

Legalyaker":366ydo54 said:
Also, does anyone use separate kindling/weaner cages in their system?

We have a very small rabbitry (2 breeding trios) and the luxury of some space. Our NZ does kindle in their 48x30" cages, but when the kits start to ramble from the nestbox, they and mom are moved to a 6 foot long grow out cage. When the kits are weaned, the doe is returned to her cage.

We raised Dutch for a while, and the does and kits did well for us in 42x30" cages, but those cages were handmade and not a readily available size. If I had them again, I would likely go with 36x30 for the does and kits. I would continue to use the separate weaning cages.

Good luck and keep us updated as you go.

Back