doe building another nest, pulling fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charline

Reaction score
Yesterday my doe delivered one baby, perfectly formed,
but dead. She had her out of the area of the nestbox
where she'd pulled fur and hallowed out a nest, so it
got too cold I am sure. Now today, she's pulling fur
and carrying hay in her mouth making another nest!
Does this mean that she'll deliver more babies??? I've
never heard of this happening, but I saw her pulling fur
when I went out to feed! I will be going out shortly to
check on her, so I will let the board know if this behavior
produces more babies! thanks
Charline, Jacobs Well Rabbitry in South Texas

Sometimes a litter is a bit spread out in time, from what I've read. I've seen others on here who have had litters delivered over several days. It seems to indicate a higher chance of dead kits, but not always. Unless you have a dwarf breed, in which one kit is somewhat common, I would guess that she is going to have more babies.

It is possible that she only had the one, and that the nest-building is her instincts kicking in after the fact. If this is her first litter, she may have gotten things a little backwards this time, but could do just fine in the future.

Make sure she has a nest box or even a cardboard box (like 12"x12"x6" or so) to put her nest in, to help keep the kits warm. You can put a box in her cage and pick up her nest and put it into the box along with some extra hay under the nest if it needs it, and she should get the picture.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing what happens! :)

Yes, her nestbox has been in since her 30th day,
and yes she's a new mom. I checked just now and
there are no babies yet but I won't give up on her.
Thanks for the reply!!!

I have always placed the nestbox on the twenty-eighth
from the date she was bred. I have had Does go as long as
thirty five days to kindling. You just might get a nice litter
out of that mixed up Doe.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Yes, by all means leave the nest box in... She may have kindled one early and still have buns in her little oven. Don't forget that does have two horns to their uterus and can conceive separately in each, which can cause a protracted delivery. First timers are often confused about what is happening. Even if it is just a case of instinct kicking in a little late, the activity of building a nest will be good experience for next time. Next time, give her the nest box on Day 28. It has been my experience that a doe that does not have it early enough is more likely to ignore the box, since she has already decided where the nest will go.

Back