Doe Breeding question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fldman

Reaction score
Hello, as many others, I am new to the world of rabbits (although I have always enjoyed them since I was a kid). Anyway, my first attempt at breeding failed (for whatever reason). I bred a doe last week several times (7 hours apart and again first thing the next morning). My question is would it be safe to breed the same doe again Monday or Tuesday morning (a week after the first attempt) to the same buck? I know it's probably a dumb question but I am new and want to be successful at it (assuming the rabbits are fertile). Any info would be greatly appreciated though.

There is no reason to breed a Doe hours or days later.
They are forced ovulators the ova takes the same amount of time
to reach it's destination as the Bucks deposit, about ten hours.
The Doe is ready if she is slightly swollen and bright red to purple in color.
If she is pink and wrinkled don't bother trying, wait a few days.
Something that works on stubborn Does is to take the Doe to the Buck
for up to four days in a row. Within that time frame she will breed.
Do not just leave the Doe with the Buck, watch the proceedings!
Do not turn your eyes away or blink, you might miss it.
All should be accomplished within five minutes or less.
I allow the Buck to service at least twice at this one meeting,
then back to her cage she goes and the date is listed on the calender.
28 days from that date she gets a nestbox.
Ottersatin, C.V.R. :eek:ldtimer:

Rabbits have 2 horns to their uterus and it is possible if the doe breeds too many hours apart to end up with a separate pregnancy in each one. At least one set of kits will not survive and possibly both. Usually I've heard not to let them breed more than 6 hours apart but I see no reason to wait that long. If the buck gets just 1 well aimed breeding in your good but since they can miss a little most try for 2 or 3. The only time I've been separating the 2 and putting the doe back in later is for stubborn does who have to think on it a little. Often if I pull them out for 10-15mins while I do chores and then put them back with the buck they are much more willing and accomplish several breeding attempts with a lot less drama than when the doe was first put in the cage.

Thanks for the info! I held off on breeding them again. I think it may have taken last week as I have noticed a definate increase in her appetite and she seems a little more "thick" when I hold her. I guess I'll see in about three weeks.

Back