Do you sell weanlings? if so at what age and how much?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I sold some today at 6 weeks (weaned 10 days ago). I have does bred and could use the space. Got $10 for males, $15 for females--I was happy as I didn't have to grow them out another 4-6 weeks and got nearly as much as full grown...

Usually, the earliest i will wean is 5 weeks. If i can i will leave the kits with the doe until longer.

I have sold at 5 weeks - pet stock starting at $20, and going up to $40 and above for kits with show potential.

I also don't breed back that often if I dont need to. I like the does to be able to keep all condition, and dont breed my does extremely heavy if I dont have to.

ETA: I saw that this was in Meat rabbits - i didnt know that. All the info would still apply though.

I don't sell weanlings. I raise rabbits mainly for my own table but even when I do sell some, they are at butcher age (14- 16 weeks here) or older. I've had a few people wanting breeding stock over the years and I am happy to sell to them... but not until the rabbits are at least 12 weeks old. Just my policy.

I sell my meat rabbits at 5 weeks for $5 They go up in price as they get older. Ive already got both my 4 week old litters sold to 2 feed stores. Im taking them in this upcoming Monday.

Regardless of breed I start selling kits at 5 weeks, by 7 weeks anything I demean pet quality only (if MR or HL) goes to a pet store. I'm content keeping does as long as i need to as eventually they will sell. Meat rabbits stay here regardless as I can always put them in my freezer.

Prices start at $10 and go up to $40 depending on breed, quality and such like. MOST sell for $20-30.

I sell my weanlings for $6-7. Of course they are all mixed breed rabbits, and I will not "clean" them for somone else, and they are mainly for consumption. If I save does out for breeding and somone wants one, they are usually 12 weeks old and I ask $15. This may sound a bit cheap to most of you but remember I do not have any purebreds, and am only trying to get some feed money back. I don't advertize, I don't "meet" people for the sale.... they have to come here. While my animals are not yet to the productivity of NZW's I expect them to be in a another year or two.... If people want to buy a proven doe, I will likely ask $25.

I sold several entire litters of San Juans at 6 weeks for $5 a kit, (ie, I traded a litter for 4 bags of pellets) which was considerably less than I had in them or their parents as far as feed goes.

I won't sell anything under 8 weeks old no matter what. Everything starts at $25.00 then goes up from there, but mostly I tend to keep most of my stuff to show, and most won't really be sold until 6 months (but I will over to sell does bred).

The Rabbitry Mama-san and Peter came from sold weanlings (6weeks old) for $10. As the age went up, so did the price. (new zealands)

For my angoras, the price is $20 this first time around. But I'm not selling them until they have a good coat on them so I can see how the breeding is turning out for fiber..so...10weeks old and almost ready to shed.

I can't imagine sellling what you call a weanling ch - 6 weeks minus 10 days makes the babies just the far side of 4 weeks

I can see selling babies now - my guys are 8 weeks old and have been working on being ready for about a week ...

I wean at 5 weeks old and start selling no sooner than 8 weeks, usually closer to 10.

In PA the law is 8 weeks, so I stick to that. Often their a lot older than that as I sell at shows and will hold my better ones for an upcoming show. I do not allow anyone to come here for pets as there's just too many crazies out there. I wean at 6, 8, 10 sometimes 12 weeks, depends on breed and how they/their mother looks, and I do not breed back tightly. The Florida Whites can be a real pain, their fur chewers so I always try to get them separated and out of here by 8 weeks. Minimum I'll take for a FW, my only true meat breed is $10.

Rabbits are weaned at 6 weeks, no rabbit leaves me until it is at least 8 weeks old. At which point, I sell for $40. Of course, these aren't meat rabbits, these are show animals! I know this is in meat rabbits, but hey. I just think by this age they are much more stable than your average 5-6 week old, and have adjusted to life without mama rabbit.

I rarely sell younger then 12 weeks, never before 8 weeks. In fact, in my state, it's illegal to sell puppies, kittens, rabbits, etc under 8 weeks of age. I do not keep a lot of rabbits (just 18 holes for the fuzzies right now and they are my main breed - 40 total holes, 2 for my ancient pet pairs, and the nephews and niece and hubby each have 4 holes they play with). We will be adding 4 more holes, probably for my fuzzies - lol.

When I do sell pets (which is rare), I charge $20. 8 weeks at youngest. If you are selling for zoo food, I do know someone that takes culls but he does not pay unless they are over 5 pounds (and then it's only $3).

( I do have a few "overflow" holes that will hang outside the barn, plus plans to make a bunny yard - not sure if I will colony raise meat rabbits for our own consumption or just to have for the kids to play with their bunnies, which is more likely because I have a squeamish husband whom won't even try rabbit meat - grr - frustrating!)

Back