Register

Do you prefer your rabbit to taste like rabbit?

One recipe per topic, please, to allow for comments and tweaking.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,745.00

Re: Do you prefer your rabbit to taste like rabbit?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby AnnClaire » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:11 pm

I do taste a bit of a "twang" with rabbit, so when I roast, I season with McCormics GrillMates Maple-something and salt and pepper with a smidge of water. Mmmmmm!!
cheers - AnnClaire

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 7,970.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:24 am

I love the taste of rabbit-- I am a little disappointed when the "rabbit flavor" is covered up by spices...
Seed Garlic, http://www.Mountainvalleygarlic.com , https://www.facebook.com/Mountain-Valle ... 254347988/,
hard neck garlic varieties for fall planting.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens, and too many ducks..
https://vimeo.com/176370337?ref

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 10,855.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby grumpy » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:09 pm

I've been invited to several of the top restaurant's around the KC area that feature my stock.
I'm always amazed over the fact that the 'rabbit-flavor' is barely discernible in their dishes.
I complement the chef and thank them for purchasing my stock for their menu.

I've threatened several times to process a young 7-week old rabbit, send it to the chef,
and tell them to fry it like a young chicken... THEN they'll know what they've been missing.
It's a unique, stand-by-itself meat that needs very little, if any, additives.

Grumpy.
Author of Historical Romance Novels: The Trilogy of: Box of Dreams, Scarlet Dreams, and Shattered Dreams.
My newest work: Now in publication. Redemption Road.
Visit my website for more information. http://www.ekfelts.com

The following user would like to thank grumpy for this post
michaels4gardens

Site Supporter
2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 850.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby Stephanie » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:42 pm

I chuckled when I read the title of this thread. It reminds me so much of an old gripe of mine about another meat. Fish. I could never understand why on earth people so commonly put lemon on it. Everyone I've ever asked why said, "Because it tastes 'fishy'". Well DUH! "So, do you mask the flavor of your burgers because they taste 'beefy'?"
I grew up eating a lot of fish, living near the shore. And I have always enjoyed my fish with zero seasonings, especially NO LEMON.
With rabbit, it's much the same. As others already said, it does NOT taste like chicken. It tastes like rabbit. And, I like it. However, being low in fat, it can take on pretty much any flavor you want to impart to it with seasonings. I often use chicken bouillon with it. I often use McCormick's baking bags with it too, to make it a bit juicier. I adore using the front legs pretty much as chicken wings, cooking them all day in a crock pot with a bit of BBQ sauce. When they start falling apart, I toss in a cup of rice and keep it hot till the rice is done. The rib cages I usually boil till they fall apart, separate out all the bones, and use the meat as BBQ or rabbit salad. The saddles I usually roast, covered in foil, then pick off all the meat and freeze it for soups, stir-fry, or stew. But, by far, my favorite parts are the livers, with the hearts and kidneys a close 2nd. They are wonderful sauteed with onions and a bit of brown gravy, served over rice.

The following user would like to thank Stephanie for this post
michaels4gardens

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 3,033.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby SarniaTricia » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:25 am

I didn't eat rabbit growing up.

I love it.
My step-daughter tried it for the first time on a trip to Cuba.
She Loves it.
My husband eats what I make.
My step-son, has no idea what he is eating most of the time.... if he likes it he keeps eating, if he doesn't, he stops and gets something else.

Rabbit lightly seasoned and grilled... yum!
Rabbit stewed .... yum!
(hungry!)

I find that now that I do my own processing, I can sort the rabbits by cooking method and label the freezer bags accordingly. No guessing if the rabbit was young enough to handle light seasoning and grilling or if that is a stewing bunny....

I am working hard to have all our protein come from humanely raised animals, while still living in a subdivision. This means renting farm space. My meat chickens pay for themselves in chicken and my rabbits have yet to pay the rent.
I'm hoping that having selected a showable breed, the rabbits will become better at paying their rent in a year or so.
(we have found a pasture raised beef operation with quality beef and I am still on the hunt for pork, but might have to wait for the farm for that)
Breeding Magpie Harlequin Rabbits for Meat and Pelts...
Working towards a farm to raise animals with respect and care.

https://www.facebook.com/BABRabbits/

Previous