Do you like to write??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, PetLover . . . I read your prologue and found it very powerful. You use too many "ly" adverbs, but apart from that, you have a good prose style.

I've been writing on and off since I was ten years old (I'm sixty-five now) and I encourage you to keep at it. I'll read the rest of it sometime soon . . . I've had a really long day and just want to shut down for the night now. But I did want to offer a word of encouragement.

Galadriel and Bunny-Wan are also interested in writing . . . You might want to network with them for encouragement and feedback.

:good-luck:

MaggieJ":nk7vlkvo said:
Hey, PetLover . . . I read your prologue and found it very powerful. You use too many "ly" adverbs, but apart from that, you have a good prose style.

I've been writing on and off since I was ten years old (I'm sixty-five now) and I encourage you to keep at it. I'll read the rest of it sometime soon . . . I've had a really long day and just want to shut down for the night now. But I did want to offer a word of encouragement.

Galadriel and Bunny-Wan are also interested in writing . . . You might want to network with them for encouragement and feedback.

:good-luck:
Oh my, I didn't notice that!! Thank you very much! :p

Wow thats awesome you have been writing that long! :D

Thats cool, I will try to ask them about it! c: <br /><br /> __________ Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:03 pm __________ <br /><br />
grumpy":nk7vlkvo said:
http://www.ekfelts.com ;)
Whoaaaa, grumpy thats AWESOME! :p :p :popcorn:

I love to write. I just haven't done any writing in a long time. My biggest issue is a complete lack of any sort of creativity and an extremely short attention span lol.

Fireclaws bunnbutts":1ygvrugw said:
I love to write. I just haven't done any writing in a long time. My biggest issue is a complete lack of any sort of creativity and an extremely short attention span lol.

Haha!! That sounds like me! I had fun in high school with paper writing...and have had aspirations to write a story of some length, but everything flies out the window when I actually try to write something :? :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:30 am __________ <br /><br /> My sister has done NanoWriMo the last few years. I don't think she's doing it this year though....

Writing is akin to the opposite of two rabbits breeding. :x

It's not the rapid "blur" of the act and a quick somersault backwards,
followed by the squeal of success. :lol:

It's a dogged determination coupled with a refusal to give up that makes
a writer place one labored word upon another creating a vision in the
reader's mind that they find interesting and appealing.

One small paragraph from my third novel:

Rarely are the stars aligned; allowing two perfectly matched souls to unite. The inner man and the inner woman journey life's mysterious path longing to find their idyllic companion. A miniscule number are blessed with that uncommon perfection, while others accept somewhat less than they dreamed. Few possess the psychic, seer-like, abilities to recognize the Almighty's benevolence. Even fewer tread forward to boldly embrace it and hold it dear to their heart. Joshua Stanton felt the gift that was given. He witnessed his Master's plan before him as he sensed the endowment of courage he was granted. He upturned his palms to the heavens and placed the backs of his hands on the table before him. With a heart-felt pledge of commitment they went past halfway when he offered them to Gabriella. Now, she must choose. He silently prayed that she would. (end of paragraph)

If my memory serves me correctly, I wrote that small snippet in
less than 10 minutes. HOWEVER, it took me over two hours of
editing to reach a point that I was satisfied. I do remember that
the word count between the first draft and the final was three measly
words. :x :x :x

BTW: my website is in dire need of updating. My apologies.

Yes, I love to write. I wish I could make my living with it. But alas, twas not to be! So instead of writing, I have to find my joy in editing and correcting the writings of others (mostly in emails). A friend calls me the grammar nazi. :angry:

Nice paragraph Grumpy. I am in complete agreement about the constant rewrites. The more one edits and tweeks, the better the end product. I honestly don't believe I would ever stop rewriting important documents, if there wasn't a time deadline. Every single blasted time I think I'm satisfied, I put the writing down, then come back to it hours or days later and then I change it again! But I'm usually happy at the very end, so I guess it's worth it.

That's amazing PL! A very gripping story.

I have tried writing fiction, but after 1 chapter my mind goes blank and it starts to sound dumb. I have now decided I am better at writing informational books and I have started writing a book on rabbits. I will post it when it is finished!

Wow, a lot of you like to write!! :D

Haha I agree with having thr short attention span.
Also that it takes FOREVER to get your book to sound good... I still think some parts of my book sound kinda dumb or awkward, LOL.

TBH: I "never" wanted to write a novel...!!!! NEVER. Yet, I've written
short stories and informational pieces for nearly 35 years. Usually my
offerings have been for niche markets on specific subjects. I enjoyed
writing them....but a novel? No...it was a pain in the @$$.

I moderated another site on the internet and the folks "seemed" to
like my "style/voice". So, I started a thread about a subject that I
would write about every evening. Well, it got past 10,000 words, so
I put an end to it. I re-read it and thought, "Hmmm, this ain't bad." LOL.
In the meantime, some of the folks were copy and pasting it so they
could have it, "physically". That's when I pulled the thread.

I took the short story to an English Lit teacher at the High School to
get her opinion. I'll be darned if she didn't incorporate it into her
class curriculum. Then, she started "harping" about my finishing the
story. This continued for the next 5 years. Harp, Harp, Harp.... That's
all I heard out of this woman. LOL.

The editor of our local paper wanted to run it as a weekly series
in the paper and I declined, being concerned about copyright issues.
Then he crawled onto my case about finishing it. HECK...I thought it
was finished. Both disagreed. So....I relented and a year later I typed,
"The End" on "Box of Dreams".

"Well," I thought, "this is the end of it." WRONG!!! Everyone that read
the piece asked the same question. "When's the next one coming out?"

So, I kinda got snookered into this gig. Yet, I've learned to "Love" it.
I cannot deny that. Just persevere and keep re-writing your text till
you find the "voice" that is uniquely your own.

It's an interesting journey. One that lasted 7 years for my first story.

Best of luck, P. L. 500

Grumpy.

Wow! Thats cool though!! Writing a novel seems like it would be a LOT of work and LOOOOTTT of time, but also fun :)
Thats wonderful how far you have come, Grumpy! :D

As a kid learning to read, I became fascinated by the whole idea of making stories. I soon started writing my own stories and I've been writing on and off ever since. It is only in retirement that I've been fortunate enough to have the leisure and peace of mind to write every day.

I'm working on a novel set in rural Ontario in the late nineteenth century. I prefer to write in first person ("I" rather than "he" or "she") because it is the most intimate way of telling a story.

I'm approaching 400,000 words now and the end is in sight at last. How long is that? Think big fat bestseller. It will have to be cut down somewhat, but I want to finish the first draft first before deciding what to cut.

My beginning:

Chapter 1 --- September, 1876. London, England

Some things about that day I remember. The woman’s hard hand on my wrist hurrying me along so that I had to take some running steps to keep up. Her face I have forgotten, but her hand – I can see it yet on the iron latch of the big gate, pushing, pushing . . . and the tall narrow house within frowning at us as we entered. Blackened brick walls all around, high and secret. I pulled free and tried to run.

“None of that, now.” The hand grabbed my shoulder and pulled me inside. The gate swung shut behind us, and the latch clicked smoothly into place. I shivered without knowing why.

“You’ll be fine,” the woman said. “They takes good care of young’uns like you. Three meals a day and a warm bed. You’re luckier ’n most.”

That sounds awesome Maggie! I LOVE that little piece you shared! Is there anywhere I can read it, or do I have to wait until it gets published? :mrgreen:

Sorry, PetLover, but I'm keeping it under wraps until I get it published. The only person who gets to read it in advance is my sister. She gives me the feedback and encouragement to keep going even when the going is tough.

Edited to add: PL, I've been reading some more of September's story. In the interest of realism, check to see if Child Protective Services can interfere. September is 16 . . . Here in Ontario a 16-year-old can live on her own, get a job or go on welfare and continue in school. I don't know how it is where you live, but you'll want to know the answer to this when deciding what happens next.

In the course of writing my novel, I've had to stop and check dozens of facts of this sort. It's worth doing, though, to make your story believable.

400,000 words...!!!! That's a huge effort, Maggie. :x :x :x

The average novel...is well under that word count.

Petlover500":3pzxejx2 said:
Wow! Thats cool though!! Writing a novel seems like it would be a LOT of work and LOOOOTTT of time, but also fun :)
Thats wonderful how far you have come, Grumpy! :D

I use Microsoft word when I write. The cool thing about it is the fact
that it keeps your word-count current, edits, and time. I bumped over
1100 hours spent on my current work last week. 5,000+ edits is not
unusual when proofing and re-proofing your work. Expect it, that way
you won't be surprised.

YES....it's a lot of work...but now, I consider it a labor of love. Being
able to pull characters out of thin air and develop them is a unique
experience.

I left home when I was 15....never looked back. I don't recommend
doing that in this day and age.

grumpy.

Grumpy, I am well aware that my novel is far too long, but I can't see a way (at present) to divide it into two books. The darned thing just keeps expanding. So many social issues of the times keep coming to the surface. It's an easy read, though, so I'm hoping that will help its saleability. At least these days the option of self-publishing is viable, if I can't find a publishing company that is interested.

Back