Register

Do you know who you are eating?

Discussion of all aspects of rabbits as meat animals. If this subject is offensive to you, please do not visit.
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 467.00

Do you know who you are eating?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby Ghost » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:19 pm

When I did meat rabbits about 10 years ago, this subject fascinated me. That is when you are eating rabbit, do you know which rabbit was used to make the meal? When discussing the topic on RabbitsOnTheWeb, I found two distinct camp of rabbit people.

One group took steps to randomize the meat, they would put all the meat in the freezer and mix them up. Sometimes they would get a spouse or family member to randomly pick a bag, so that they did not know which rabbit they were cooking. There was a second group of people that would label each bag as to which rabbit it, so they would know which rabbit they were eating.

As it turns out I am in the second camp of rabbit people. When I shared the rabbitry with my neighbors Cindy and Tom. I told Cindy that the rabbits were going to be designated fryer#1, fryer#2 etc., she still wound up naming our fryers. This made it easier :shock: to know what to write on the bag.

Part of the reason I found it was easier for me to know who I was eating had to do with, my memory of certain aspects of the rabbitry operations. I knew were meat came from on an intellectual level but, I did not grow-up on a farm. From an hands-on operation, killing something like a rabbit was well outside on my experience. So, when the memory of say killing Groucho would come to mind, I would also make myself remember the lovely stew I made from him. This gave the killing contest. I knew that I was not just going on some crazed rabbit killing spree, no instead, each rabbit died for a reason. I had to remember that when I eat meat animals had to die, even if I never saw the animals while they were still alive. When I remembered how good eating rabbit n' dumplings was, I also remembered that in order to have it, a rabbit would have to die. My thought at the time were ,"This is such a delicious meal, too bad that Chunk had to die to make it.". As I was eating, it seamed, I was honoring Chunk as he fulfilled his role as a food animal.

Any thoughts on the subject?

ps. I just remember our first kindle, We were showing off our five tiny rabbit pups to my cousin, because she wanted to know about our meat rabbitry. I had to remind my cousin (and myself) that these were not pets. So I was saying rabbit dishes at random (don't remember the exact dishes). I would say… This little black one is for rabbit stew. This other black one is for rabbit and dumplings. This gray and white one is for rabbit stuffed with corn bred dressing. This one with the cool pattern on his back will be fried rabbit with gravy. And this last little fella is for shredded rabbit meat sandwiches.

pps. I thought of a cute way to designate an animal or group of animals that the owner was "ok with" using as a food supply. The euphemism/cute saying is "furry edibles". Example: We have some rabbits in the back, they are not pets, we think of them more as furry edibles.
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,665.00

Re: Do you know who you are eating?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby shazza » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:35 pm

i'm like, somewhere in the middle. i don't usually name my growouts, but they do get a number in their ear for if i sell them. every now and then one will stand out and we'll call it something derogatory like 'stumpy' or 'dumb ears', but no real names. it's not because we don't want to get attached to them, it's just that there's too many and they all look alike so there's no point lol. if we have to cull a breeder for whatever reason though, i mean they all have names, and it's not weird or upsetting to know i'm eating jimmy or kate. i don't write it on their bags or anything, it takes too much time. usually the adults i cull i just toss em in a brine right after butcher so i always know when we're eating a named one, but ultimately i don't really care that much.

my husband allows me to refer to the rabbit by name if it has one up until it has become meat, (fully butchered and gutted,) then he says it's weird :p but then if we eat a named rabbit he always asks me which one it was and will ask 'wait what did we make out of harley?' and similar things so i guess it's not THAT weird to him
mini lop, standard rex, meat mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 1,636.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Ozarkansas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I always cull my breeders for a reason, so if we are eating Echo it's because she was a bad mother and not purebred so her only purpose was to be eaten. But the young ones get killed solely for their meat, and sometimes they do end up with names (although I try to avoid it) so I do put them all on the same kind of bag and don't label them. It's not like I can't eat a rabbit that has a name, but I definitely won't take any extra steps to remember it's name. :) :bunnyhop:
Ozarkansas Rabbit Farms
Raising quality purebred Americans, Beverens, Dutch, and Palominos for meat, show, and pet.
htpp://www.ozarkansasrabbits.com

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 923.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby Ferra » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:58 pm

I would say I know about 50% of the time. I have had one adult cull, so it was distinct. For the fryers, I tend to only recognize the distinctly large or small ones after processing.

Processing itself can be a little rough sometimes - I am notorious with my husband for having favorites with nicknames in each litter, but those favorites are not always suitable to hold back as potential breeders. It can be a bit rough but I figure the only one I'm harming is myself, so I'm not going through a lot of effort to stop that habit.

My husband takes great pains to avoid being able to recognize them - generally he won't handle them until I've got them to the "aged, retail ready carcass" stage.
Raising purebred French Angora in Alberta, Canada
http://www.angoryrabbits.ca

Instagram: @angoryrabbit

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 9,717.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby Homer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 am

I don't really care. Buck, Doe, young or old, it makes no difference to me. They're all good. :dinner:
Just did a one year old the other day and got 4 packages of meat out of it. Had one package last night and still had leftovers. (Just the wife and I now days)

They're livestock around here and don't get names so that's not an issue. Some get shown but have to be good or get sold off to buy more feed. Giants tend to have bottomless pits so earn your keep or off to freezer camp with ya.

freezer-camp-counselor-meat-rabbit-guy-v-neck.jpg
freezer-camp-counselor-meat-rabbit-guy-v-neck.jpg (61.64 KiB) Viewed 277 times
Previous owner of the elusive and much sought after "Get Away With It" card.

http://bdbunnyranch.weebly.com/

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Ghost » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Homer wrote:Giants tend to have bottomless pits so earn your keep or off to freezer camp with ya.
freezer-camp-counselor-meat-rabbit-guy-v-neck.jpg

Homer, did you send your furry edibles to freezer camp? ;)
You have to do the most good for the most. You most remember that a few will won't make it. Don't be ashamed to shed a tear for the ones lost along the way, we will not hold it against you. Just remember "the herd goes on".

Site Supporter
4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Homer » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:12 pm

Ghost wrote:
Homer, did you send your furry edibles to freezer camp? ;)

LOL! Some always end up there. The fur is to short for my friends to spin. :mrgreen: As they say, "if you're not ready to deal with the so-so ones, don't raise them". While I do sell some. show a few and keep a few, You can't keep'em all.

1 year of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 2,740.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:33 pm

My dad's girlfriend will eat rabbit, but she's a bit iffy about it since to her they are pets. So every time we serve her rabbit, she's like "so who's this?". Funny thing is, I most often have an answer to that question rather then not.
It's not that I want to remember, it's more that I dont butcher that many and only a couple per day max when I do. So it's easy to remember who is who when looking at the pieces.

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
Canada
BunnyBucks: 923.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Ferra » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:48 am

Homer wrote:The fur is to short for my friends to spin. :mrgreen:

Well, my presumed-NZW herd buck blew his whole coat at once a week or two back, so I am working on an experiment in spinning NZW fur blended in the same fashion as angora. Maybe I should keep you posted? :lol:

I'm probably not the person you'd want to use the phrase "too _______ to spin" around, though. I keep taking it as a challenge.
Last edited by Ferra on Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raising purebred French Angora in Alberta, Canada
http://www.angoryrabbits.ca

Instagram: @angoryrabbit

The following user would like to thank Ferra for this post
Homer

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:10 pm

Ferra wrote:
Homer wrote:The fur is to short for my friends to spin. :mrgreen:

Well, my presumed-NZW herd buck blew his whole coat at once a week or two back, so I am working on an experiment in spinning NZW fur blended in the same fashion as angora. Maybe I should keep you posted? :lol:

I'm probably not the person you don't want to use the phrase "too _______ to spin" around, though. I keep taking it as a challenge.

I'm convinced it could be spun, especially if blended with a longer fur. I've only started spinning and I've even spun some of my cat's fur for fun XD

The following user would like to thank KimitsuKouseki for this post
Homer

Site Supporter

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Homer » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:00 pm

KimitsuKouseki wrote:
Ferra wrote:I'm convinced it could be spun, especially if blended with a longer fur. I've only started spinning and I've even spun some of my cat's fur for fun XD

I'm sure you're right but...it would be like putting sand burrs in your socks. :P

1 year of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#12  Unread postby KimitsuKouseki » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am

Homer wrote:
KimitsuKouseki wrote:
Ferra wrote:I'm convinced it could be spun, especially if blended with a longer fur. I've only started spinning and I've even spun some of my cat's fur for fun XD

I'm sure you're right but...it would be like putting sand burrs in your socks. :P

I'm sure there could be some type of use for it, bottle thermos type thing or pet clothes(for those who are into that) or carpet or towel... those type of things you wouldnt use angora wool for normally XD

Post Number:#13  Unread postby Ghost » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:47 am

KimitsuKouseki wrote:My dad's girlfriend will eat rabbit, but she's a bit iffy about it since to her they are pets. So every time we serve her rabbit, she's like "so who's this?". Funny thing is, I most often have an answer to that question rather then not.
It's not that I want to remember, it's more that I dont butcher that many and only a couple per day max when I do. So it's easy to remember who is who when looking at the pieces.

The fact that I was sharing a rabbitry with me neighbor meant that even if the rabbitry had continued, I would have only butchered a few rabbits in a day. Thus, each rabbit could be easily tracked. Stating again, knowing that rabbit X fulfilled his destiny as a meat animal and knowing how good he tasted, made it easier for me to come to grips with the entire rabbitry operation.

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 14,972.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby alforddm » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:18 pm

I normally don't. It just doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I'm using butchering quite a few at a time and they all go into the ice chest together. I don't take the time to figure out who is who once I get back to the house and generally part them out anyway. The only time I make sure is if it's an older doe I'm culling, then I mark the package "Old Doe" so that I know to crock pot or slow roast.