Do they always kick and fall off?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin S.

Reaction score
and if not what to do? I was able to get two NZ bucks and have tried to breed them today. One of them kicks and falls over like I was told they would when done, the other hasn't. He makes a valiant effort, but I am trying to decide whether or not to give him another chance tomorrow, or just put the doe with the other seemingly more successful buck.

I am not that experienced but recent attempted breedings with my bunnies have shown that only those where the buck fell off, took. We bred several does with several bucks and just so not to double breed, waited a whole month only to have one successful litter!

Is the doe lifting? If not, you need to help them out for him to finish the job. Easiest is to set her down, move her back feet back and hold up the tail out of the way. Buck should get it right after that. But check her to make sure he hit the right spot.

If he is doing nothing but humping, then my bet is he hasn't gotten it.

Usually, a successful mating is marked by the buck falling off... but now and then you get a pregnancy even if he doesn't. As Chickiesnbunnies says, you need to watch for the doe to lift her hindquarters. If she does that, chances are the breeding will be successful, even if the buck doesn't fall off. It's very hard for him to hit the target without some cooperation on her part.

Sometimes they don't completely fall off but it should still be quite obvious when they accomplish things.

Both of my bucks make a noise like a sign. The large one is almost 14 lbs and he just grunts and falls on top of the doe's back. He never really falls off but with 28 kits in three months he is doing something right.

My big champagne buck (~12 lbs) doesn't exactly fall off either. Instead he takes the doe down with him and everyone rolls over sideways with a bunch of scrambling to right themselves. It is amusing but I feel sorry for the does sometimes. The mini rex tend to go over backward while the does scoot out from under them. I don't know if that's the breed, their size, or just a result of one particular line that all my mini rex except 1 doe come from.

My Cal's just about flip off the back, they tuck their butts under, grunt and fall/roll off to the side or back.

Often a young inexperienced buck will constantly hump and not "lock on/fall off" type thing as he just hasn't quiet reached that point if you know what I mean? Give him a chance to get some experience, some times it helps if you can put him to an experienced doe that is "flagging" (lifting her tail when in a boys presence.

Tried the other buck today, still no joy. I tried to help by lifting the tail, and they didn't seem to take the hint..... Oh well, will try again tomorrow.

Im not sure if ive ever had a successful breeding without the buck grunting and falling off..usally they do though when they are successful.

Back