Do I have the start of my Astrex Line?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I was catching up on tattooing and photographing some of my litters yesterday and today and when got to the cage that had these 3 10-week old bucks in it I noticed that all three of them had kind of wavy fur. At first I wondered why, and then it occurred to me.... Wow maybe these guys are carrying the gene for what some people are calling "Astrex"
2SG1 @ 10 weeks (1024x768).jpg

2SG3 @ 10 weeks (1024x768).jpg

2SG5 @ 10 weeks (1024x768).jpg

They are from a litter of 7. I kept them and one doe from the litter. I have already butchered 3 other litter mates and so I don't remember if their fur seemed wavy too. The doe's fur does seem to be a little wavy but their fur is more obvious.

I can't repeat the breeding because their dam died when they were 6 weeks old. But I have quite a few full siblings of the dam and I do still have their sire.

I'm thinking that I will breed one of them to their sister and then choose a couple of their aunts to breed to the other 2 and see what I get. It's kind of fun to have something pop up like this when I wasn't even looking for it. I'll even keep the opal buck, since he has the wave. I have been starting to save only "bb" buns, like amber, and lynx because I want to have a BROWN herd, but this makes things even MORE INTERESTING :p

This is very interesting. I thought I might have some in my lines, because I had some kits with wavy fur, but unfortunately is changed as they got older.

Congrats, Caroline! I think you may have the "Astrex gene" showing.

According to Duman'sArk, the Astrex go through an "eclipse coat" which appears normal. I have actually shown a couple of my "alleged Astrex" while in the "eclipse coat", and the comments on their fur have been very positive. I think it is denser. My "Astrex" have not yet grown their "post-eclipse" coats, so I don't know if the wavy fur will return.

Latest posts

Back