Register

Do all Fuzzy Lops have messy poo?

Routine care and maintenance of rabbits and their surroundings.
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,605.00

Re: Do all Fuzzy Lops have messy poo?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby a7736100 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:29 pm

I've had problems when I tried a cheaper pellet. Analysis may be the same but ingredients are not. So it may just be the pellets.

United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 1,025.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby bigfoot_158 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:06 pm

imajpm wrote:Hmm might google that. I think yogurt is one of those don't feed it do feed it things. I'd just use hay for a while. Hay does wonders :) Feed daily and see what happens. Not sure where you are located but if you can find a bale instead of those small bags it will be much less expensive. Craigslist always has hay listed here. Grass hay or horse hay is what I try to get. When I am lazy I just go to the feed store and they charge me two or three times as much but you can still get a 80-100 lb bale of nice grass for $16 there.

I googled "intermittent soft stool in rabbits", and some interesting articles came up. It even has a name! ISS. Looks like most of them say more fiber/hay.

Here in ohio I get hay from 4 to 5 bucks. Depends on whether it is first cut or second.
Have a Nice day
BigFoot

Site Supporter
3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 30,710.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby Zass » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Benebac for small animals is my go-to probiotic for rabbits.

http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore ... lsrc=aw.ds

It contains bacteria that uncommon or simply not present in yogurt, like Enterococcus Faecium, and Pediococcus Acidilacticii, the latter of which is said to:

Though it is being used as probiotic supplements in treating constipation, diarrhea, relieving stress, and enhancing immune response among birds and small animals, human trials are still limited. P. acidilactici is also known to prevent colonization of the small intestine by pathogens such as Shigella spp., Salmonella spp., Clostridium difficile, and Escherichia coli among small animals.
from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pediococcus_acidilactici

Using the benebac also avoids the risk of the rabbits getting further imbalanced from consuming dairy, which is high and sugar and can cause gas. As a human who is lactose intolerant, I can tell you honestly, the bacteria in yogurt does not fully compensate for lacking the enzyme, lactase, which is needed to break down dairy products.

Previous