DIY dental

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
Other than trimming the front teeth are there any thing else we can DIY for rabbits with bad teeth?

Are we talking pets or other? I personally would terminally cull anything with bad teeth but I don't have pets

I like to give lots of hay and occasional apple sticks (or other woods) for chewing to help keep their teeth healthy.

But as a breeder, I'd also terminally cull a rabbit with dental problems.

Zass":3mksl4lt said:
I like to give lots of hay and occasional apple sticks (or other woods) for chewing to help keep their teeth healthy.

I do the same , always give them a twig of apple , plum or rose (they love rose cuttings) to chew on as they wear down the teeth in a natural manner ....

But if I have an animal with misaligned or extra teeth I cull .... cant have those genes swimming around in the gene pool.

I did have one doe who would bite the cage door (it opens in and up) and try to open it at feeding time as she wanted attention , pet me , pet me , pet me!!! Doing this constantly over her lifetime one tooth became misaligned and it grew 2x the length it should have before I noticed the overbite. I clipped it off with nail clippers made for dogs. It snapped off easily & straight. Its been ~6 months or so now and the teeth appear to be aligned & wearing properly.

Had this been a genetic misalignment , I'd have culled her .... and hated doing it.

Ramjet":dx2k71aj said:
Zass":dx2k71aj said:

I do the same , always give them a twig of apple , plum or rose (they love rose cuttings) to chew on as they wear down the teeth in a natural manner ....

Do you give it to them straight from the bush? What about the thorns? I have seviral roses that I have been putting off cutting because my compost area isn't set up but if my buns can chew them I won't wait. :p

As long s the roses haven't been chemically treated, give it to them, thorns and all. They will love it.

I am dealing with a bun that has cleft palate and malocclusion..
I have trimmed her teeth with wire cutters..a very small pair.She is waiting to go to freezer camp. But she is growing ok.and eats and drinks well.
I have given pine cones and wood blocks to the buns and it works well.Card board to rip up also dulls and wears the teeth.
I am in full agreement with the others..cull it. don't even think of breeding it and watch future litters from the pairing that gave you this one. If it was a birth defect..If it was caused by an injury that's a different story ....I would still cull but may get a litter first..If it had some quality's I wanted.

Back