dissapearing kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueHaven

Reaction score
ok, so miss had 9 kits three days ago. yesterday I checked and there were only 8.
I do suppose I could have mis counted, but tonight I only have 7, the runt is still there, so if she was doing
away with weak ones, that's not it. what the heck? She has tons of food and hay and water, no need to eat
kits. I saw no blood in the box. I don't get this at all. No kits anywhere. I looked.

I don't know how or where your rabbits are housed, Blue Haven, but if there are any openings larger than 1" square, I'd bet on rats carrying the kits away as "take out" food. Using wire with standard 1" x 2" openings and open-topped J-feeders are both invitations to rats and weasels. But rats are far more likely. I doubt if it is the doe. A doe will often eat a kit that dies of natural causes--it's the only way they have of keeping the nest clean--but cannibalistic does are mercifully rare.

MaggieJ":366gg6eg said:
I don't know how or where your rabbits are housed, Blue Haven, but if there are any openings larger than 1" square, I'd bet on rats carrying the kits away as "take out" food. Using wire with standard 1" x 2" openings and open-topped J-feeders are both invitations to rats and weasels. But rats are far more likely. I doubt if it is the doe. A doe will often eat a kit that dies of natural causes--it's the only way they have of keeping the nest clean--but cannibalistic does are mercifully rare.

I agree with Maggie
I have heard awful stories of rats and other critters taking out the whole litter a little at a time.....
Can you bring mama and babies into the house till they are a bit bigger?
:( :cry:

Also check through the nesting really well. sometimes one will die down in the hay. I had that happen this last time. Took a day or so and then I smelled it there. Hope that helps.

They are housed inside a minibarn. Open during the day, now that its cooler, but shut at night. No sign of rodents anyplace. I did find the blue one flat as a pancake this evening. I don't know how I missed it last night but I did. I need to just change out this old bedding. Surely I just didn't count right the other day. But as for now, I am still at seven.

Latest posts

Back