Dispatching Ideas for a Suburban Yuppie

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutchess

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a small rabbitry (25 rabbits, only 7 adults) in a suburban area, with lots of neighbor kids. So far I have had no problem with the neighbors and our small petting zoo. But now I have a cull rabbit (nasty little piece of snot) and I've never culled a rabbit (or any animal for that matter). So... Gun-less dispatching ideas/techniques? I have been told to whack them over the head, but I'm worried I will get it wrong and there'll be a grotesque, bloody rabbit running around with a twisted neck. :oops: Has anyone ever used that method as a first time dispatching technique? If so, please explain in detail what you did? Would you recommend it? And obviously if you have any other suggestions as to how to do this, please let me know. (I also have a pellet gun and a BB gun if that helps)
Thanks in advance! :D

When I was small, my dad did the whack the head technique and I got kinda traumatised when one of em woke up while we were skinning him..... So I don't recomend that, especially since you're not used to it. The easiest and least bloody way wich is also the quickest and least painfull/stressfull for the rabbit in my opinion is to break the neck. I use a pitch fork that I stab in the ground. Place the bunny's head throught the pitchfork and secure it in place with my foot the pull the rabbit up really hard. Once the neck is properlly broken, the rabbit will stop moving within 10sec and there'll be no blood at all. It'll bruise the neck meat but I dont mind and I dont think thats your concern too much atm. If you don't have a pitchfork anything you can get it's head stuck into so that the force will pull on the neck will do. With small rabbits you can even do it by hand by twisting the head, it's what I've done with baby culls. Rabbits arent like chickens that will keep moving without a head, on them broken neck = 10 sec death.
Are you sure none of your other rabbits are infected?

Thanks. I may have to try breaking her neck. No, she's not sick, i said "nasty little piece of snot" referring to her gross personality. :x Probably should have clarified, lol. I'm culling her because of her nasty temperament and she is way too big for a dwarf. 4 1/2 pound Jersey wooly. :shock:

lol alright, nasty piece of snot just screamed snuffles and respiratory infection to me rather then rotten personnality XD
I recently culled a mean doe who kept killing her babies recently so I know how that is no worries, no one here will criticise you on this ^^ rabbittalk is the best!

The old wack on the back of the head should be followed by cutting the head off and letting it bleed out. In the suburban areas i recommend doing it all in the garage. Spread some plastic on floor and put a garbage can with plastic bag under the rabbit. Dexter like. Most everything will go into the can and no one in the neighborhood knows what transpired. Now a days i use a rabbit wringer with great success.

KimitsuKouseki":16j7jldf said:
I use a pitch fork that I stab in the ground. Place the bunny's head throught the pitchfork and secure it in place with my foot the pull the rabbit up really hard. Once the neck is properlly broken, the rabbit will stop moving within 10sec and there'll be no blood at all.
this is what i do as well, except i have a metal rod that i lay over their neck. some people use a broomstick or really just any kind of pole you have lying around that's about that diameter. it's really fast, easy, and pretty much foolproof. i've seen too many people not get the whack right the first time and the rabbit starts screaming or is otherwise obviously in pain. i also clean the skull and tan the pelts to sell them, and most of my clients want complete pelts with head/feet/etc on them for taxidermy purposes so any damage to the skull or having to cut the head off immediately means less profit for me in the long run. the broomstick method lets me keep the heads on the rabbits until i'm done skinning, as well as ensuring there's no skull damage AND the animal died as quickly as possible.

Thank you all for your responses! I did decide on the broomstick method. It was very quick, foolproof as stated, with minimal bleeding. I will note that my athletic 16 year old brother snapped its neck instantly.. and also completely detached it... :oops: So... if you are interested in the broomstick method, a newbie at butchering, and you want to eat the rabbit, be careful. I will also note that it was hard for me to watch. :cry: It certainly wasn't something I want to do again. But I knew it was necessary for the well being and quality of life of the rabbit.

Latest posts

Back