Dispatching device advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooled

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am brand new to this site and rabbit raising as well. A little over a month ago I was given a year old lop buck and a year old NZ black doe that was pregnant and due any day along with 7 kits that were 7 weeks old at the time. I gladly accepted them and commenced to building cages for them. Well, she kindled the next day in a dog crate before I could get the cage finished. She did great! 10 kits of which 2 died 2 days later. Didn't want to keep breeding with the lop, so we dispatched him and am currently looking for a black buck NZ. After looking up humane ways to kill the lop, I decided on the lead pipe to the back of the head method. Although it was instant, I did not like it because you have to hold him upside down by the back feet and he thrashed around really stressing him out. I'm not in the best physical condition, so the broomstick method wouldn't work for me. I have been searching for the best method, and found an interesting way posted by GBov posted back in 2012. She made a box that sat on a table with a kill handle. This looks like the easiest stress free way for the rabbit I have seen. I sent GBov an email asking if she still uses it and how well it works, and it said it was sent, but when I checked in the sent folder it said I was too new to the site, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. Does anybody remember this post and how the invention turned out? I'm going to kill the older kits on thursday and want to do it the best way possible. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was given a homemade "rabbit wringer" type thing that has worked well for us... it doesn't take much physical exertion to get the job done, and it's pretty much instant. I think the gap at the base of mine is a bit too big though, some of the smaller ones can get out of position... now that I am aware of it, though, I know to watch for it. (In looking at their site/designs it appears that they had some issues with the original gap as well and have made it smaller in their newer ones).

I went to GBov's profile and scanner her topics. I think this thread from 2012 might be of use to you.

my-new-table-top-rabbit-dispatcher-warning-graphic-t9339.html

As far as the post count needed to use the PM feature, I don't think it is very high. Try posting on a few existing topics and you should soon be able to use it.

MaggieJ":3puhbdtv said:
I went to GBov's profile and scanner her topics. I think this thread from 2012 might be of use to you.

As far as the post count needed to use the PM feature, I don't think it is very high. Try posting on a few existing topics and you should soon be able to use it.

I went to that post also - I just don't have a good mind of how to set the bunny in it. Any chance someone could post another even graphickier (new word :D ) pic or even better, an actual in-use video? I also can't figure how much strength to use when lowering the bar.

I am definitely looking for a different method. I've tried the wringer, not enough strength or I'm doing it wrong. Saw the videos and they make it look so easy but not for me! So next time I used a .22 ----eeek! I dispatched 12 this weekend and that was enough for nightmares. My bunnies were gone in an instant but I was traumatized!

JudyM":3ozgdb5u said:
MaggieJ":3ozgdb5u said:

I went to that post also - I just don't have a good mind of how to set the bunny in it. Any chance someone could post another even graphickier (new word :D ) pic or even better, an actual in-use video? I also can't figure how much strength to use when lowering the bar.

I am definitely looking for a different method. I've tried the wringer, not enough strength or I'm doing it wrong. Saw the videos and they make it look so easy but not for me! So next time I used a .22 ----eeek! I dispatched 12 this weekend and that was enough for nightmares. My bunnies were gone in an instant but I was traumatized!

The best one I found to show the rabbit wringer was one where she literally just leaned back - the rabbit was chest high or so? If you pull down it doesn't work as easily (or some times at all :x ).

Well kill day never happened yesterday. Just too much going on. On the bright side, it gives me a little more time to figure out a method. The hopper popper looks easy, and easy to make, so i think I'm going to make something like it. $40 to buy one is a little too steep for me. I look at that as a couple bags of feed. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:34 am __________ <br /><br /> Just an update: On Friday I processed 7 using a homemade rabbit wringer and it worked like a charm! I have a question though. I've watched Grumpy's processing video half a dozen times. (Hats off to him by the way, very informative), but I never saw him having to rinse the hair off his hands. My rabbits had a lot, and I had to rinse my hands at least 3 times on each rabbit. Granted they were half Lop and half black NZ, but even petting my pair of white breeders, I notice hair shedding. Is this normal?

Back