Digging food

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Links56

Reaction score
So I have one doe I think she's half Fleming and half nzw. She will dig all the pellets out of her feeder. She just started it about a month ago. Nothing has changed as far as food type or anything. I just give her a couple handfuls morning and night and she seems starved and starts eating right away. It's hard to tell how much she eats though after I leave. There's a wasted pile of feed under her cage that is starting to add up. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I have a doe that does that when she is pregnant. A round stone or golf ball placed in the feeder will help because they have trouble digging around it. You may need more than one depending on the width of your feeder.

If it is a J Feeder, another option is to drill holes on opposite sides of the feeder and thread a wire or (my preference) a length of "all thread" through it. I use a plain bolt on one side of the all thread and a locking bolt on the other so I can remove it if necessary. I found that without a locking bolt on at least one end the normal bolts will eventually come unscrewed and fall off.

michaels4gardens":esu7e9dm said:
look at feeder design, and amount being fed for her condition [fat thin etc.:]
I use "Bass" feedsaver feeders, compared to J type feeders there is very little digging/ wasting of feed.

I have one that digs out of a Bass Feed Saver .... She dug as a young rabbit in a J feeder , the Bass feeder stopped the behavior until very recently , now she's doing it again .... and worse.

If she weren't one of my better does , she'd be in the stew pot already. Delivered 9 day before yesterday ....

Hey thanks! Great Idea's guys. Ill check out some of the other feeders and try the all thread method, What size do you use 5/16? They can still eat around it?

Ramjet":sexwa3a2 said:
michaels4gardens":sexwa3a2 said:
look at feeder design, and amount being fed for her condition [fat thin etc.:]
I use "Bass" feedsaver feeders, compared to J type feeders there is very little digging/ wasting of feed.

I have one that digs out of a Bass Feed Saver .... She dug as a young rabbit in a J feeder , the Bass feeder stopped the behavior until very recently , now she's doing it again .... and worse.

If she weren't one of my better does , she'd be in the stew pot already. Delivered 9 day before yesterday ....

I occasionally see that also.. decisions, decisions...

michaels4gardens":3id99bem said:
I occasionally see that also.. decisions, decisions...

This one is fairly safe .... for now. I have nothing to replace her with at the moment .... but who knows how this litter will turn out.

Back