digging boy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug4H

Reaction score
My boy, George keeps digging at our cloths and sheets when he is out, does anybody know why?
We have double checked to make sure it is a boy. We read that digging is an instinct for females only. :?

First of all. That's not a real bunny in that photo. I mean, he looks way too perfect and cute. :p

OK, I know he's real... but WOW.

Second. Males dig, too. I think he's just getting comfy, checking out his domain, etc.

All rabbits love to dig.
He doesn't really know the difference between your shirt and the ground, but you might be able to train him not to dig on you. You can try saying 'no' and clapping your hands when he does that.
I wouldn't try to correct him for digging in his cage or bedding. That's appropriate rabbit behavior.
My buck digs in his cage all the time. :)

I suspect a lot of gentle nipping, fabric bunching, and digging behaviors are the result of a rabbit exploring the various substances and textures they are surrounded with.

I mean, the only tools they have to interact with are those digging and running paws, and their lips.

I've also noticed males that were allowed in the colony pen outside or even in a lawn tractor cage dig differently than the females do. They make what looks to me like a scrape, where they will tear away the surface (annoyingly, just the plants, to expose dirt) and then spray and mark around the dug up area.

So, when a boy starts digging inside...I usually return them to their pen....just in case.

Zass":2c17wvzl said:
I mean, the only tools they have to interact with are those digging and running paws, and their lips.

What a sweet euphemismus for teeth and claws :lol: , considering the damage my Black Fury did to my stuff it is sure nice to think she kissed through USB cables, 240V insulation etc. and bared that bricks through 2" plaster by putting soft, furred paws on the wall :shock: while reducing almost all plinth to splinters and PVC-flakes by just looking nicly at it :lol: She sure did explore things thoroughly :D
But she isn't a pet bunny, was just one winter inside for quarantine and I didn't know much about rabbits back then.

It's true that bucks dig different - short bursts, just removing plants. I saw my old buck gnaw the grass roots after that. That's how I noticed the sex change fairy paid a visit last year - let the junior does out of their hutch, and one did this short digging bursts.... :?
My buck never started a tunnel by himself, but when one of the does did he chimed in and moved a lot of dirt too.

Latest posts

Back