Diet for the fat one

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
I have a doe I think is too fat... I think she might have more fat inside than anything because she doesn't look "fat" in my opinion she's just a big girl... But would me cutting back on her feed help? I use pellets with grass/ apple tree branches with leaves. They get some source of green daily but not enough for me to just supplement pellets. So what I'm asking is since the bag says for a maintenance rabbit about 1/3 to 3/4 a cup is about what I got when I rounded up the ounces as cups. Do you think if I feed her about 1/2 a cup of food a day she's loose some weight?

She is a Standard Chinchilla, New Zealand White cross and I'd have to guess like 10 pounds. She's not heavy but she looks pudgy.. She's bigger than my other two... But the one looks like she's being starved even though she free feeds.. I can post a pic tomorrow it's a bit too late where I'm at to do it right now.. If you look at her though she looks over weight.. In my opinion anyway

Yeah, seeing a picture might be nice. I feed my 2-4lb rabbits 1/2 cup of food a day....I'm not sure a 10lb bunny should go on that amount of food for very long...I don't have much experience with larger breeds so hopefully someone else here will pipe up. <br /><br /> -- Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:15 am -- <br /><br /> I've had a 6lb Dutch before I bought from someone who probably let her have all she wanted, she was quite blubbery. :p
I fed her 1/2 cup a day and she slowly lost about a pound over a few months.

The pellets aren't real important if you have other good foods. Quality hay, branches and greens will mostly occupy them and meet their needs. Depending on variety and amount of the fresh foods pellets just have some vitamins and minerals in them that they will still need. You can keep cutting them down so long as there is something low fat like quality hay to munch on between small pellet meals. Exercise can also be very important. If the cage is long enough people will put the food and water at opposite ends and slide a thin piece of pvc or wooden dowel through the middle just low enough they will hop it instead of duck it. My colony rabbits were always so lean and muscled they actually did bad on the table because everyone is used to the slight squishiness of caged rabbits who get little exercise. Also breeding frequently will make does actually use their food but some don't want to breed until after they've finished showing that one.

Now if you want to see fat this is tsuya (aka hippo kit)
DSCN0079.jpg

This is adult tsuya after losing weight. You can still see the creases for the fat rolls. Otherwise she wasn't bad except for being a little long and peaking late. I think I got 2 litters out of her with one being 5 despite her weight problems.
DSCN1143.jpg

DSCN1144.jpg

My one doe I believe is pregnant is about that big. If she isn't pregnant I'm moving the buck from the other cage beside her and opening it up and putting her food and water on opposite ends. I think I might set-up any new built cages like that so they get at least a little exercise :)

Latest posts

Back