Definitions, nicknames, and abbreviations

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artificer

Reaction score
Just a thread to introduce some common (according to the USDA) definitions, as well as a place for people to list their regional variations, affectionate nicknames, and euphemisms.

According to this USDA publication, here are some definitions:
***********************************************************************************************
Appendix 5: Glossary
Buck - Male, unaltered rabbit. Bucks reach sexual maturity later than female rabbits, from five to 7 months. Large breeds reach sexual maturity later than small breeds.
Bunny Runner - A person who picks up or takes receipt of rabbits for delivery to an end market. The Bunny Runner may pay for the rabbits themselves (wholesale) and resale them at the terminal market. Some bunny runners may pay the slaughter price for meat rabbits directly to the producer and be reimbursed through an individual arrangement with the slaughter plant. The Bunny Runner may collect rabbits from a number of different locations to satisfy an order.
Cull - To remove a rabbit that does not meet the quality standards of the herd. Culling does not exclusively refer to killing unsuitable stock. In some instances culled rabbits are consumed by the producer, but that is not an option with some of the small hobby breeds. In this case, culling refers to the removing from the herd and the culled rabbit may be sold as a pet or to other hobbyists.
Doe - Female breeding rabbit. Does reach sexual maturity from 4.5 months to six months, large breeds mature later than small breeds.
Fancy - Show rabbits. Especially the small rabbits that have no commercial applications.
Fryer - Young rabbit (8-12 weeks) marketed for meat
Fuzzy - A dead, furred kit.
Hare - Long eared, long legged hopping animals. Young are born furred and open-eyed.
Kindle - To give birth to rabbits
Kits or Kittens - New-born rabbits
Pelt - The rabbit skin with fur still attached
Pinkie - A dead, furless kit.
Rabbit - Animal with large front teeth, short tail and large hind legs. Length of ear varies, but is usually longer than it is wide. Rabbits have shorter ears and legs than hares. Rabbits give birth to blind and furless young.
Rabbitry - The common term for a rabbit production facility. Rabbitries can house commercial or hobby herds and may be indoor, outdoor or any combination in between.
Wool - Rabbit fur. Technically all rabbits have wool and not fur covering their body. Angora wool is a particularly long wool (three inches or more) that has been bred for over time.
*******************************************************************************************

Here's my take on a few regional/nicknames/euphemisms

Popples: newborn up until they stop popping up like popcorn
Freezer camp: We're going to send them off to "freezer camp"... butchering

And, some abbreviations
MR: mini-rex
JW: Jersey Woolly

Now if everyone adds their personal/regional words to this thread, then even I will know what you're talking about.

Michael

cooking school = no time spent in freezer-- straight to the pot!!!

AmChin= American Chinchilla

Chin= 1)any one of the three Chinchilla breeds- Standard, American, or Giant
2) a slang term for the coloring of Chinchilla - As in 'Chin colored rabbit'

Terry

Are we going to be required to "use the correct terminology" here? IOW, will we be chastized for using regional terms or nicknames?

Trinityoaks, this thread is just to give people a place to go when they see a "my popples are here!!" thread and they dont' want to ask "what on EARTH is a popple?" on the thread :)

no. you will not be required to do anything but respect the other people on the forum. This is a place to talk about your bunnies, rabbits, popples, pinkies, jazzies, woofies, woolies, etc.

Do try to understand that there will be people from all over tho. If someone asks "what's a jazzy?" we can't get upset with them. Just do the "jazzy = bunny that plays the clarinet" :D

NZ - New Zealand - a breed of rabbit (and also a country :D )
NZW - New Zealand White - the white variety of the NZ breed
NZB - New Zealand Black - the black variety of the NZ breed
NZR - New Zealand Red - the red variety of the NZ breed

I'm not aware of any commonly used abbreviations for blue or broken New Zealands yet. Maybe some will turn up as these varieties become more common :shrug:

Harle or Harlie - nickname for the Harlequin breed of rabbit

That will not happen here, Trinityoaks!

We've been saying "popples" and "bunnies" for years... and will continue. If you use a regional term someone doesn't understand, they may ask you to explain it.

I see no reason why we cannot have a little fun with our rabbits. Even those of us who are serious about making a profit still need to smile, same as the rest of us.

:mbounce:

Jazzy? Now there's one that is new to me! And I'm not buying that clarinet playing thing, Ann, even though the picture it conjures up makes me laugh! :lol:

Maggie and WisconsinAnn, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!! :clap: :kiss:

I tend to avoid (or leave) forums where the moderating style is (or becomes) heavy-handed. At most, I lurk only as long as I can get useful information out of such a forum that I can't easily get anywhere else. :wall:

I've been a moderator on other forums for YEARS (like close to 20), and I know it's a hard job and a fine line to walk. I've also seen HUNDREDS of forums and their moderating styles. People tend to leave if the moderating style is too heavy on the one hand, or if the style is so hands-off that it becomes a free-for-all.

I guess it will take me a little while to get myself acclimated over here and find my way around, but I think I'm going to like it here. :D

Never be afraid to ask questions of any of us. or all. Never be afraid to offer sound advice to people. (just remember that you may get asked "where did you learn that?" on some things since EVERYONE has an opinion! ;) )

I hope you like it here. You're certainly welcome here.

Thanks for posting this, I am glad there are people who recognize that there are regional differences in language and that there may be people from other countries who use a "different" term for something... :cool: :cool:

Jr. a BUNNY(just thought I would throw that in just because I can!) rabbit under 6 months
Sr. A rabbit over 6 months
Intermediate 6-8 months (in utility breeds)
4 class refers to Fancys ie shown as jr and sr.; buck and doe
6 class has the intermediate age group thus adding 2 more classes
BIS best in show
BOB best of breed
BOV best of variety
BUD BIG ugly doe
BUB big ugly buck
peanut a kit that recieved 2 dwarf genes and will not live
hippo baby: A grossly large kit usually doa
Max factor: a deformed kit usually has weird characteristics like open eyes at birth; usually found in dwarf breeds

POPPLES! I'm glad this forum isn't so uptight like the HT For Profit forum, I just love the word popple!

POPPLE!!!!<br /><br />__________Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:53 am ___________<br /><br />What does DOA mean? I've heard it a LOT and I have no clue what it means.

Thanks,
Logan

DOA
dead on arrival

PTS
put to sleep (aka euthanized)

BID
twice a day (must be latin..)

weird the places the mind goes ...

I always wondered what a Zil was...

FG - Flemmish Giant
BVNZ - Broken Variety New Zealand (I saw this somewhere...not sure if it's correct)
SCF - Sex Change Fairy
MB - Mental Bunny

I just noticed TODAY that HT's rabbit forum is no longer for profit only. While that is what I'm breeding for, I never felt comfortable with the 'stringent' policies, so I stopped posting. I was so happy to find the relaxed nature here. Huh, slow on the uptake I guess. :whistle:

Latest posts

Back