Register

Definitions, nicknames, and abbreviations

A place to post bits of news, ideas, musings and other things that don't really fit into the other forums.
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 883.00

Re: Definitions, nicknames, and abbreviations

Post Number:#16  Unread postby bigbrologan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 am

POPPLES! I'm glad this forum isn't so uptight like the HT For Profit forum, I just love the word popple!

POPPLE!!!!

__________Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:53 am ___________

What does DOA mean? I've heard it a LOT and I have no clue what it means.

Thanks,
Logan

7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby Brody » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm

DOA
dead on arrival

PTS
put to sleep (aka euthanized)

BID
twice a day (must be latin..)

weird the places the mind goes ...
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 883.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby bigbrologan » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Thanks Brody!

BunnyBucks: 9,270.00

Post Number:#19  Unread postby trinityoaks » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Zil - short for Brazilian (see: http://rabbitgeek.com/breed/brazilian.html )

BunnyBucks: 2,256.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby pfaubush » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 pm

I always wondered what a Zil was...

FG - Flemmish Giant
BVNZ - Broken Variety New Zealand (I saw this somewhere...not sure if it's correct)
SCF - Sex Change Fairy
MB - Mental Bunny

I just noticed TODAY that HT's rabbit forum is no longer for profit only. While that is what I'm breeding for, I never felt comfortable with the 'stringent' policies, so I stopped posting. I was so happy to find the relaxed nature here. Huh, slow on the uptake I guess. :whistle:

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#21  Unread postby Anntann » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:35 am

:lol: you MUST have been ignoring the forum. It went ballistic for a few days. Then calmed down, and is now under Chuck's watchful eye, with a more inclusive feeling. Questions, general talk, pictures, stories, advice; all things rabbity. :D

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,605.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby pastelsummer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 am

i like the rabbit on HT but I like here better. hey do we have a sticky on the different diseases and meds for rabbits?
Elizabeth
wife of g 9/06
mamma to
Sissy 6/07
Bubba 3/09
Princess 9/11
Living at
The Ranch
writing about our life in
my blog
my poetry

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,340.00

Post Number:#23  Unread postby hoodat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm still a bit puzzled by the term broken. As I understand it a broken is any deviation from a recognized show pattern. Am I corect?
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 56,278.00

Post Number:#24  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:32 pm

As I understand it, it is a white rabbit with patches and spots of another colour... black, blue, chestnut, red etc. The rabbit that you thought might be a checker-patterned Dutch would be an example. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Post Number:#25  Unread postby eco2pia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:36 pm

"Broken" is any rabbit with both colored and white patches--The color is broken up by white. English Spot, Checkered Giant, the rabbit in your avatar...generally they are to have between 10-60% color, and are showable in many breeds. Some breeds do not recognize them, for intance Thriantas, Havanas, Cinnamons, Chinchillas, are all breeds where broken is not an accepted color. Lops, NZ, Mini Rex are all breeds that allow both broken and solid rabbits to be shown.

Maggie and I have too much time on our hands today! she beat me again! I'm home sick, can you tell? :)

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,981.00

Post Number:#26  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:37 pm

broken is white with any colour

for instance this picture has a broken chocolate and a self chocolate.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Post Number:#27  Unread postby hoodat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 pm

Then a self I take it is a rabbit that has a single color? Thanks.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 32,981.00

Post Number:#28  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm

i like the rabbit on HT but I like here better. hey do we have a sticky on the different diseases and meds for rabbits?

did anyone answer this?

I don't think that we do.

__________ Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 pm __________

and yes, a self is a rabbit with a solid colour. It gets tricky when you have a solid coloured rabbit that has a white nail, or has scattered white hairs...or a white spot on the tummy that it was born with. then yeah,.. they are solid...but if you get a broken when breeding to a self...then they really are broken. :) and yeah, I know...go figure.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Post Number:#29  Unread postby eco2pia » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:05 pm

Actually "self" is a term that means the hair shaft is one solid color from end to tip, and is a consistant color over the rabbits whole body. Agouti is what it is called when the hair shaft is banded along its length, and gives a coat color like a wild rabbit has. A rabbit that is one solid color with no white patches is just called a solid, or more often by just the name of the color--"Do you want the broken black or the black?" or "Do you want the broken black or the solid?" either way.

Ladysown's pic just happens to be a chocolate self--meaning the chocolate color is all over the bunny, with no variation. There are chocolate tans, chocolate agoutis, chocolate otters, lots of varations of chocolate. Yummy! ;)

I hope that isn't too much explaination...

Post Number:#30  Unread postby hoodat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 am

Thank goodness I don't do shows although I like going to them. It all sounds very complicated.

PreviousNext