Deciding to get out of a breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harelady

Reaction score
Over the last several months I have been slowly cutting down on the number of Tan rabbits. I think I am going to stop breeding Tans and just keep my old timers as pets. I will continue to raise Belgians Hares but my heart is just not with the Tans anymore. I feel saddened by this decision but at the same time I feel relieved. I feel that I need to slow down on breeding and just keep my numbers low. With my health always in question, dogs/cat to care for, and a job to keep. Less rabbits might to a good thing right now. Anyone have a similar experience?

I did however on impulse buy a English Angora to replace my retired therapy rabbit. That was not really in my plans but I am excited to have a wool bearing rabbit. I may regret it later with all the grooming. :lol:

I am trying to decide which route I want to go. DH wants me to get more rabbits (I know, right? :lol: ) but I am wanting to pare down a bit. I would love a breeding set of 5, maybe even 3!, but can't decide which ones to get rid of. There are two more obvious ones, but still a tough decision. I also have a lady that wants to get out of rabbits and has two rex she wants me to take. Decisions decisions! Currently I am feeding 9 adults and it makes for more of a chore, not to mention the 25 grow outs ( :1pig: )... I know some on here can keep up to 50 and still enjoy it, but for the stage of life I am in, it's not happening.

I was in the same position earlier this year, Harelady. I raised and showed Harlequin rabbits for a few years. They were a very challenging breed - I struggled to get correct size on my rabbits, competitive marking pattern WITH correct weight was unheard of, and so on. I was getting burned out and cut back drastically. Eventually, I sold out of rabbits completely except for a couple of pets.

Tans will always be around if you decide to return to them, but if you aren't happy you will get burned out like I was. Rabbits aren't fun at that point.

A few years back... i really struggled with giving up a breed we dearly loved.
It was so difficult to Make that decision, and i waffled for months, driving both my husband and myself to distraction.
I luved that breed... it was the breed that introduced us many years ago.
I still find them a lovely rabbit...but that "spark" just was not there.

Once i finally settled on what to do... it felt as tho the pressure was off.
We dispersed that rabbits of that breed.
Suddenly it was fun to go to the barn and care for the rabbits in there again.

I still stress about any major decisions... but i remind myself how life fell into place once my mind Finally got made up

Best wishes as You find what is Right for You !

I went from mutt to purebreds to mutts to more purebreds. I can't say I truly found anything I was that attached to and if anything I shouldn't have given up my line of mutts I made but I had no purpose for them when I quit raising large numbers for meat and then moved so I didn't have access to a farm for keeping them. There have been some nice individuals but just not an entire breed I liked. I had 2 champagne d'argent I liked, a mini rex buck and completely unrelated doe from a pet store that was my first rabbit, a couple favorite ND, and this awesome american sable buck I actually returned free to his breeder when I started to have health issues and he'd produced a few offspring for me but far more of every breed were frustrating. The things I ended up enjoying were never recognized for show without the time and space to actually pursue getting them recognized myself. American chinchilla were probably my favorite but I only got my hands on 2 does right before I gave them up to move and then when I got some standard chinchilla because I couldn't find available american in driving distance the buck was stolen. I got tired of how nasty the local show quality ND were so I quit all rabbits when my nice frosty/ermine ND simply had no use except as feeders because everyone wants a rabbit for $20 with a cage. Selling unrecognized colors was pointless. I was thinking of a very small number of show quality tans to start rabbits back up because they aren't as hard to find as the chinchilla breeds and sell well even if I only get to one or 2 of the closest shows a year.

Interesting that I found this thread. I am actually considering getting back into Tans now. I just miss them and haven't found a breed to raise that I truly like besides my Belgians. I have room for two breeds and need something smaller and has more competition than the Belgians.

I got out of Jersey Woolies because I just started college and cannot give them the time they need and I just never found a big demand for them. However, I definitely miss them and would love to have them again if I could.

bunnychild":1qdsthhl said:
I got out of Jersey Woolies because I just started college and cannot give them the time they need and I just never found a big demand for them. However, I definitely miss them and would love to have them again if I could.

Best wishes as You go thru college. :) With that education... You can do so much !

The Jersey Woolys will be there when You are ready for them !!!

Latest posts

Back