Dealing with Picky people

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, so how do you all do it?

Deal with picky people?

I've had a fellow for the past year or so writing/emailing/calling. He wants an ORANGE holland lop buck.

He wants me to do the leg work looking for and expects that I'll know all the answers to his questions.

I've been patient. After all...what an email or two.

Last night he called and kept me on the phone for 1/2 hour.
What do you have available?
are they fully pedigreed?
how you can get orange bunnies?
when will you breed for them?
and who else has them?
can I get one at a rabbit show?
and so on and so forth....

Finally I said, you know what ... You've been to my website, you know what I have. You can follow my links and write to people yourself about what they may or may not have available. Orange holland lops are HARD to find, at least among the people that I know. I cannot speak for what other people have, and what they may or may not be willing to sell. You have to do that legwork yourself.

His response was. but I want a holland lop in orange, why can't you just get me one? If I wait a month do you think you'll be able to find me one?

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ladysown":2y3t53j1 said:
but I want a holland lop in orange, why can't you just get me one?
Just wow! :x No wonder you were a bit distracted when you got the email about the photo shoot! :shock:

ladysown":kobvmdz0 said:
His response was. but I want a holland lop in orange, why can't you just get me one? If I wait a month do you think you'll be able to find me one?

Your reply: "I doubt it. Orange Holland lops are very rare and expensive. But I have your contact info and if I hear of one I will let you know. Thanks for calling but I have to go now. Good-bye."

The problem with the whole thing that I can see is 1)he can be a pain in the patoot and no return for your effort, OR 2)he can be a very wealthy person who will turn other very wealthy people on to your rabbitry. You just never know. We had a guy who kept hanging around the horses, real seedy character, worn shoes, old clothes...always CLEAN but worn....and he'd ask question after question after question..take up time. Made most of use just NUTS when he was there...but we were polite and found time for him. One day he came in with his "business manager" and bought 2 horses, put them in boxstalls and full training, and wanted them shown for him. Turned out he was the owner of a national gas station chain. He was with us for years.

Anntann":1sv98u2q said:
One day he came in with his "business manager" and bought 2 horses, put them in boxstalls and full training, and wanted them shown for him. Turned out he was the owner of a national gas station chain. He was with us for years.

Wow! I guess you never know, do you?

Miss M":321u2onr said:
Anntann":321u2onr said:
One day he came in with his "business manager" and bought 2 horses, put them in boxstalls and full training, and wanted them shown for him. Turned out he was the owner of a national gas station chain. He was with us for years.

Wow! I guess you never know, do you?
nope. Sometimes the picky people who take up a ton of time are just lonely...or they're checking out how much you know, how much you can do...but quite often they're just PITA!!

taking up 30 minutes on the phone tho when you've already said you can't fulfill the request is...do we have a smilie for tearing your hair out? :lol:

or maybe really curious

I deal with it all the time too - if they are too high maintaince I cut em loose - otherwise I try to oblige .. sometimes cool things happen :)

Orange Hollands are pretty common down here. I have one that I keep as a pet. They aren't really the prettiest color in real life. Their color just does not seem to be as even. Maybe it would help if you told him that.

Emily

he used to have one as a child and apparantly it was the best rabbit ever so he wants one just like it.

All I know about the orange colour is that is like fawn. But he doesn't want fawn, he wants orange so I told him we'll need to play the waiting game and he can contact my contacts or wait and see what I'll end up getting whenever I start using JJ (who is a cream coloured lad).

HAHAHAHA
I had one woman who wanted a black and white kitten in the most specific pattern I'd ever heard .. turned out it was same thing replicating a cat from childhood
I tried about 5 black and white kittens that seemed to me to be right but I was wrong ...
ended up adopting her a tabby at the end of 3 months of H double hockey sticks ;)

I had a dog once that I would have cloned. But it wouldn't be the same bond, I don't think. So much of it is a personal connection....I dunno. maybe it would work. Come to think of it, I had a mare once that I would have spent any amount to have cloned. She was simply fantastic. ah well :)

I think cloning would be so disloyal to the first pet and so unfair to the second one. There is more to a creature than DNA. I'd never do it... not even Marilla, and you all know how crazy I am about my moggie. :benice:

MaggieJ":5el7lqyb said:
I think cloning would be so disloyal to the first pet and so unfair to the second one. There is more to a creature than DNA. I'd never do it... not even Marilla, and you all know how crazy I am about my moggie. :benice:
The mare I spoke of (typed of?) would have been nice to clone because she was an astonishingly wonderful ride. Could jump anything you pointed her at. And had no problem galloping for miles. sigh....golly that was a nice mare. But she had ZERO personality. just sort of...blah. I wasn't fond of her, like I was her dam (that mare was just PART of me when I rode her) but she was one helluva ride. Unfortunately, she died before I got a foal from her. :(

Okay, I can see what you mean about the mare, Ann. That is a special circumstance. I was thinking more about people trying to replace a loved pet with its clone... and I don't think it's a good idea.

(Sorry for the thread drift, Ladysown. Do you want me to try to split off the cloning parts to a new topic elsewhere?)

Back