Daylength--to control or not to control

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MnCanary

Reaction score
As we approach the longest day of the year, I've got some questions on whether to control day length on rabbits or just let the day length proceed normally.

I've read that commercial rabbit raisers keep their day length at 18 hours so they can breed 12 months of the year.

That brings up two questions:

---If you raise rabbits year after year at 18 hours day length, does it cause some problems? Does replacement stock need to be reared under natural day length? I can't seem to find any research on the long term issues with continuous long day length.

---If you show rabbits, does continuous 18 hour day length cause problems with fur development? Again, I haven't seen this topic addressed in anything I've been able to find so far.

I also raise canaries, and a continuous long day length causes the birds to get so out of balance (hormonally) that they die at 2 or 3 years of age. I'd guess rabbits are different, but is there any good research that talks about day length for people that raise rabbits to show?

Thanks!

:hi: Interesting questions, MnCanary... I've never seen any studies on this for rabbits either.

I've heard experienced rabbit breeders say that day length makes no difference... and that the controlled day length in some rabbitries is more for the convenience of the workers. I'm inclined to follow "as in nature" so I do not supplement either my rabbits nor my poultry with lights. But then I don't breed during January or February either.

Hope some one who has tried it both ways can give you the answers you are looking for. :)

I keep my whole set up outdoors, and let natural light control breeding. However, last winter I didn't have a problem getting anyone to breed. Well, at least the problems didn't come from that. (I had some problems with an older doe taking. I assume that's because she haddn't had a litter in a while, and really just didn't want to.)

Dean Goforth in S Car. has never used lighting and ran a 30,000 doe herd. I spoke to him last year and he insists day length make no difference.
I don't use extra light and we bred on sched thru winter; had a couple miss, but overall receptivity was there.

I have mine in a rabbitry that gets natural light but I keep a low watt CFL light on 24/7.
Its pitch black in there at night and that makes the buns nervous. We have no outside lights or anything. Out here nights are black.
They stay calm and happy with a low light on.

I breed spring, fall, and winter. Just that little bit of light may help, I dont know. I never had my buns without a little light.

30,000??? Holy smokes!!! I thought my aspirations for 100 was big. lol.

I used lights in my hanging hutches through the winter, but without them it was pretty stinking dark in there. I may try without this year, since everything has been changed around and will allow more light in. I've been hearing a lot more about people breeding without them, so why waste the money on utilities when I could buy more rabbbits. :D

I have lights on in the garage during the day because it is pitch black without them. I don't keep them on any schedule, sometimes I put the lights out a little early so I can go to bed and sometimes I fall asleep on the couch and and up putting the lights out at 1am. During the week I can turn the lights on as early as 5am if I"m up early for work and on the weekends I can sleep in and turn the lights on at 9-10am. I breed all year round and I haven't noticed any ill effects from the different "daylengths", they are all healthy and breed well.

Latest posts

Back