dark underbelly of homeschooling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainey

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed when I first got on RT--once I'd gotten a few basics about rabbits--that there were homeschoolers here. We started when it wasn't so well known and my two are all grown up but i'm still interested to hear how it's working for other people. And I like to see where kids' interests take them. Neither of mine went to college (to the horror of friends and relatiions--see subject line) but they've been able to keep on learning and doing what they love.

So this post is to say how proud I am of my son who has finally set up his own website for the instruments he builds. He started out making mountain dulcimers, then harps and hammered dulcimers, then mandolins and fiddles, then banjos and guitars. He's already sold over 20 banjos on Etsy and banjohangout venues. but this winter some other on line banjo folks told him buyers would expect a "serious builder" to have his own website. He'd rather be in the shop working with wood but he hung in there and even asked questions (a thing he hates to do) and now his site is up and running. He's at hoytbanjos.com.

If this counts as spam I hope someone takes it down and tells me and doesn't ban me from RT for a first offense :)

Good for your kids:). And I believe that if we all worried less about a 4 yr college education and concentrated on what we like doing and are good at we would be a more productive and happier nation. My kids go to public school, but I have lots of friends who homeschool and my sister homeschools. I think it's wonderful and the flexibility is amazing! Interesting to hear different perspectives and I think the gap is being bridged where sigmas are going away and people are being a lot more understanding....

We're homeschoolers :) I am actually busy tinkering with 2016/2017 curriculum choices right now... I am gaining some confidence with experience and even though the "workbook" approach we took for this year was what we needed in this season of life, I am ready to get away from it and move back toward Charlotte Mason.

I am tweaking things for the remainder of this year since some small "irks" with one curriculum started to turn into more major issues for us. And I will soon have DH as a student - spelling has never been his strong suit, but after seeing the curriculum I am trying out for my oldest (who is just like his daddy!) he was intrigued. I tested him and placed him within the program so we'll see how it goes! We should have it later in the week or first of next week. I hope it's the magic key that will unlock things for both of them. DH is college educated and holds an upper management position at work, but has never spelled well and it's tot he point it's caused some embarrassing moments for him so he's ready to make some changes. ODS can read really well, but can't spell much at all. Even simple words like 'stop' get jumbled. He just can't hear the individual sounds in a word, so matter how much phonics we do (even trying a couple different approaches... he's asking his 6 year old sister how to spell things, which she is doing well, so it's obviously not an issue with the curriculum... at least, not completely. He might have some underlying auditory processing issues).

HSing is not popular on DH's side of the family, and parts of mine are hesitant (especially my grandmother who deems my college education as "wasted" - but I am the ONLY one that has one on that side of the family, so I guess she had different expectations for what I would do with it). My parents insisted on a 4 year degree (which I was thankfully able to get in just 3 - whoo hoo!), even though I knew what I wanted to do with my future (oh the horror, I wanted to get married and start a family!) and college was/is expected in DH's family as well. We are not sure what route our children will take, but I see trade school/apprenticeships being a very likely option. The government having their hand in student loans makes me furious, and college costs are just one big game at this point (IMO). My first year of college (2002) my small, private women's college was $18K. When I graduated in 2005 (there for only 3 years), it had already jumped to $25K. It's now up to $45K! When the website headlines are: APPLY - FINANCIAL AID - MAJORS (in that order), there's a problem.

Any way, didn't meant to rant. I actually talked with one of the two "grandmothers" of HSing here in NC a couple months ago at Costco. I wish I could have had lunch with her or something! She had stories to tell about the early years of having to be careful what you said to people and living in fear of any knock on the door. I am so thankful we can be out and about with little issue. Sometimes I forget we are the odd balls, but we live in an area where HSing is becoming very popular and has a decent amount of support in general.

We home schooled all three of our sons. They are all grown now, and gone. The youngest is 30. My middle son, when he was 15, asked to be allowed to take the GED and stop being schooled. He wanted to go on to college. When he went to take the test and was awaiting the test to begin, he questioned the teacher about what the average score was on the test. If I remember correctly, the highest possible was 200, and the teacher said that she had never seen anyone get much over 120. Respectfully, my son told her that he would do much better than that. She didn't believe him. He scored over 190. So, with GED in hand, we then took him to the area community college to see if they would admit a 15 year old. They said that they would as long as he had his GED, but that he still had to go through the placement tests to determine if any remedial courses were in order. MOST students need at least a semester's worth of remedial courses after getting a high school diploma to enable them to succeed in college course work. Many public school graduates need 2 or 3 semesters of remedial classes before they can take college level classes. My son passed all of his placement tests and was enrolled straight into college level classes, with no remedials. He completed his 2 year associates degree there with a 3.9 GPA, then went on to Old Dominion University to get his bachelor's degree. He graduated from there with a 3.98 GPA. 2 years ago, he completed his Master's work at Regent University. His field is network engineering. I think he has done beyond "very well" with his home school background.

I am the story of all the reasons there are parents who choose homeschooling.

Rainey":vgb1skwi said:
If this counts as spam I hope someone takes it down and tells me and doesn't ban me from RT for a first offense :)
Nah, that's not spam. Member for a year and a half, 540 posts, and you share your son's business website? Not spam. :) Beautiful work, by the way! :hooray:

And you have to really mess up to be banned for one infraction here. Like you actually ARE a spammer, or you suddenly go all freakout on us. Even for the freakout part, we'll normally call the person on it and give them a chance to clear things up (not that it happens often). We did have one account -- a younger new member -- that started posting objectionable posts with vulgar language. Turned out the member's little brother had gotten into the member's account. We gave the member another chance, but made it clear that a second such incident could result in banning. And we gave the member ideas on formulating a strong password that would keep little brother out. :) We try not to be too knee-jerk around here.

As for homeschooling, college, and all that... I believe that a college education used to be a good thing. I believe it is still necessary for some fields, particularly engineering-related fields. However, my great-grandfather dropped out in 8th grade to help his family with bills, taught himself calculus, and became such an excellent machinist that the government came to him with the really difficult machining they needed.

College is not what it used to be. It has become largely a grossly overpriced camping trip for children who may have aged out of high school but who have never matured. Rather than expect them to mature, colleges coddle them and allow them to remain self-centered whiners who expect star stickers just for showing up, and who have panic attacks if someone with different opinions speaks to them. For the students who are actually there to study and learn, they make the whole thing all the more difficult.

I do consider college-level courses to be useful for training and strengthening the mind... as long as they aren't useless courses, of which there are many. You can study courses from many colleges online for free -- without credit, but still gaining the knowledge. Also, vocational schools are good places for actually learning useful things without much of the fluff and excess expense of regular college.

macksmom98":vgb1skwi said:
I believe that if we all worried less about a 4 yr college education and concentrated on what we like doing and are good at we would be a more productive and happier nation.
:yeahthat:

heritage":vgb1skwi said:
I will soon have DH as a student - spelling has never been his strong suit, but after seeing the curriculum I am trying out for my oldest (who is just like his daddy!) he was intrigued.
I wish him all the luck with it, and hope he's able to improve greatly through his efforts! :)

heritage":vgb1skwi said:
My first year of college (2002) my small, private women's college was $18K. When I graduated in 2005 (there for only 3 years), it had already jumped to $25K. It's now up to $45K!
Wow! :x And we've taught our kids that it isn't worth it to run up debt to go to college. Well, if you're making enough to save up for college in a reasonable amount of time, you'd probably be fine without college at all. $45K! :shock:

Stephanie":vgb1skwi said:
I think he has done beyond "very well" with his home school background.
Yes! Sounds like he's done awesome!! :hooray:

heritage":3bp01ext said:
We're homeschoolers :) I am actually busy tinkering with 2016/2017 curriculum choices right now... I am gaining some confidence with experience and even though the "workbook" approach we took for this year was what we needed in this season of life

This is where I am as well. The structure of an enrolled curriculum experience was comforting and having an enrollment and a school that issued grades and transcripts made me feel more legally protected as we started homeschooling in an area hostile to it. The curriculum that made me feel so free then feels like a cage now and I'm ready to take that step and add some "unschooling" to our day. Especially in reading and writing where I would prefer now to let my older kids do what they love rather than what curriculum demands. Math? Well, that's not going to get done unless we sit down with a workbook. :lol:

Congrats, Rainey, and all you other successful home schoolers.

Miss M":du277dy4 said:
As for homeschooling, college, and all that... I believe that a college education used to be a good thing. I believe it is still necessary for some fields, particularly engineering-related fields. However, my great-grandfather dropped out in 8th grade to help his family with bills, taught himself calculus, and became such an excellent machinist that the government came to him with the really difficult machining they needed.

College is not what it used to be. It has become largely a grossly overpriced camping trip for children who may have aged out of high school but who have never matured. Rather than expect them to mature, colleges coddle them and allow them to remain self-centered whiners who expect star stickers just for showing up, and who have panic attacks if someone with different opinions speaks to them. For the students who are actually there to study and learn, they make the whole thing all the more difficult.

I do consider college-level courses to be useful for training and strengthening the mind... as long as they aren't useless courses, of which there are many. You can study courses from many colleges online for free -- without credit, but still gaining the knowledge. Also, vocational schools are good places for actually learning useful things without much of the fluff and excess expense of regular college.

macksmom98":du277dy4 said:
I believe that if we all worried less about a 4 yr college education and concentrated on what we like doing and are good at we would be a more productive and happier nation.

heritage":du277dy4 said:
I will soon have DH as a student - spelling has never been his strong suit, but after seeing the curriculum I am trying out for my oldest (who is just like his daddy!) he was intrigued.
I wish him all the luck with it, and hope he's able to improve greatly through his efforts! :)

heritage":du277dy4 said:
My first year of college (2002) my small, private women's college was $18K. When I graduated in 2005 (there for only 3 years), it had already jumped to $25K. It's now up to $45K!
Wow! :x And we've taught our kids that it isn't worth it to run up debt to go to college. Well, if you're making enough to save up for college in a reasonable amount of time, you'd probably be fine without college at all. $45K! :shock:

Stephanie":du277dy4 said:
I think he has done beyond "very well" with his home school background.
Yes! Sounds like he's done awesome!! :hooray:

Thanks for putting it into words, Miss M. I have learned to "censor" myself, never knowing how the company I am around will react to my thinking, but it sounds like we are on the same page ;) :lol:

A week or two ago my ILs were talking about college and my oldest chimes in (quite loudly) "Well, I'm not going to college" - the room went silent, all eyes on us :shock: . We told him we weren't sure what he was going to do, that time would tell. It would depend on what he was interested in, blah blah blah.

SoDak Thriver":3i2hsven said:
heritage":3i2hsven said:
We're homeschoolers :) I am actually busy tinkering with 2016/2017 curriculum choices right now... I am gaining some confidence with experience and even though the "workbook" approach we took for this year was what we needed in this season of life

This is where I am as well. The structure of an enrolled curriculum experience was comforting and having an enrollment and a school that issued grades and transcripts made me feel more legally protected as we started homeschooling in an area hostile to it. The curriculum that made me feel so free then feels like a cage now and I'm ready to take that step and add some "unschooling" to our day. Especially in reading and writing where I would prefer now to let my older kids do what they love rather than what curriculum demands. Math? Well, that's not going to get done unless we sit down with a workbook. :lol:

That was always the question we were asked, especially at homeschool gatherings--"What curriculum are you using?" At first they were so young it just seemed silly and I'd answer, "The one we used for walking and talking--it worked really well." By the time my first child was 6 we had to buy a dictionary of word origins (in the old days before you could find all that info on the internet) because she was driving me nuts asking why do we call it x and I often didn't know. Found out that curriculum comes from the Latin word for racecourse. ;) So after that we just said that and that we preferred to explore instead of getting done as quickly as possible. That was what worked for us. I'm not saying no one should use them. It's like raising rabbits--we have different goals and starting points and interests and they lead us to different decisions.
But I'd be glad to offer suggestions to anyone interested in other ways to learn. Sort of like natural feeding instead of pellets I guess.

Thanks, Miss M for the reassurance. Here's a photo of my son's instruments that I helped him set up for his site

Attachments

• IMG_9078.jpg
    IMG_9078.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 1,438
Rainey":e4fimkz4 said:
SoDak Thriver":e4fimkz4 said:
heritage":e4fimkz4 said:

That was always the question we were asked, especially at homeschool gatherings--"What curriculum are you using?" At first they were so young it just seemed silly and I'd answer, "The one we used for walking and talking--it worked really well." By the time my first child was 6 we had to buy a dictionary of word origins (in the old days before you could find all that info on the internet) because she was driving me nuts asking why do we call it x and I often didn't know. Found out that curriculum comes from the Latin word for racecourse. ;) So after that we just said that and that we preferred to explore instead of getting done as quickly as possible. That was what worked for us. I'm not saying no one should use them. It's like raising rabbits--we have different goals and starting points and interests and they lead us to different decisions.
But I'd be glad to offer suggestions to anyone interested in other ways to learn. Sort of like natural feeding instead of pellets I guess.

Thanks, Miss M for the reassurance. Here's a photo of my son's instruments that I helped him set up for his site

BEA-UUUUUUU-TIFUL instruments! :p

I have a slight obsession with looking up words lately - not the latin origins, but with Webster's 1828 dictionary (GREAT for Bible word studies... our dumbed down, PC dictionaries don't even touch the depth richness that some words have to offer). The Latin origins sounds like and interesting thing to study! Do you have a link to what you used, or something similar?

I want to make learning a way of life for them. NC requires testing each year, but we don't have to submit them, just keep the results on hand in case anyone asks for them. I want to branch off... I want nature study to be a HUGE part of our day... I want, I want, I want... I just suck and implementing it :oops: Especially when I had a medically needy NB, then a very angry and emotional preschooler (possibly bi-polar?? diet changes have helped tremendously so we aren't doing any official labeling at this point). We are now to the point where we can get out more, and really explore the world. Today was rocky... too busy of a weekend and my youngest is melting down over water (he doesn't like water... even though that's all we drink. He got spoiled with special treats this weekend I guess). We made it though. I am ready to thrive rather than survive each day...

I didn't homeschool MidnightCoder but I think it would have been better for him than the school system. I did spend a lot of time helping him to pursue his many childhood interests. I liked to call it the Flint, Steel and Tinder method. The child's mind, coming into contact with new ideas and subjects, strikes sparks. I did my best to ensure the tinder was there to catch them. Then I fanned the flames gently. A surprising number took hold.

For the origins and evolution of words, I rely heavily on this site when I am writing. http://etymonline.com/index.php

I'm sure a few anachronisms have got past me, but I check dozens of words and expressions a day to make sure they were in use at the time my novel takes place. You sure get some surprises!

Rainey":398aymek said:
So this post is to say how proud I am of my son who has finally set up his own website for the instruments he builds.

Wow, that is incredibly stunning work!!! Hubs is a guitarist, so I showed the site to him. He said "They are pretty, but how do they sound?" so we watched the video of the guitar being played, and I am happy to report, he approves. :mrgreen:

macksmom98":398aymek said:
And I believe that if we all worried less about a 4 yr college education and concentrated on what we like doing and are good at we would be a more productive and happier nation.

Amen to that.

Stephanie":398aymek said:
My middle son, when he was 15, asked to be allowed to take the GED and stop being schooled. He wanted to go on to college. When he went to take the test and was awaiting the test to begin, he questioned the teacher about what the average score was on the test. If I remember correctly, the highest possible was 200, and the teacher said that she had never seen anyone get much over 120. Respectfully, my son told her that he would do much better than that. She didn't believe him. He scored over 190.

Way to go!!!

My youngest, Colliepup, has only taken one test in his life. It was for his hunting license (when he was nine, so not yet eligible to get it) and scored 97%. :D

SoDak Thriver":398aymek said:
The curriculum that made me feel so free then feels like a cage now and I'm ready to take that step and add some "unschooling" to our day.

We unschool! I highly recommend it.

SoDak Thriver":398aymek said:
Math? Well, that's not going to get done unless we sit down with a workbook. :lol:

My kids use workbooks if and when they want to... but actually just learn math through daily living mostly. Queenpup learned fractions by baking.

heritage":398aymek said:
A week or two ago my ILs were talking about college and my oldest chimes in (quite loudly) "Well, I'm not going to college" - the room went silent, all eyes on us :shock: .

:lol: Good for him. It isn't a prerequisite, but people sure are brainwashed into thinking you need to amass a huge debt in order to be successful in life.

By the time my first child was 6 we had to buy a dictionary of word origins (in the old days before you could find all that info on the internet) because she was driving me nuts asking why do we call it x and I often didn't know.

I love exploring word origins- especially the Latin roots. "Tri is the Latin word for three, which gives us words like tricycle, triangle, tripod..." and so forth. Knowing the Latin roots gives you a key to decoding unfamiliar words.

I want to branch off... I want nature study to be a HUGE part of our day... I want, I want, I want... I just suck and implementing it :oops:

The problem there is your mindset; "I just suck at implementing it."

Forget about implementing- take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Found a chrysallis in the garden? Stick it in a jar and see what hatches! Hiking near a pond? Collect some frog spawn and bring it home.

MaggieJ":398aymek said:
I liked to call it the Flint, Steel and Tinder method. The child's mind, coming into contact with new ideas and subjects, strikes sparks. I did my best to ensure the tinder was there to catch them. Then I fanned the flames gently. A surprising number took hold.

That is unschooling in a nutshell.

my youngest is melting down over water

How about adding a slice of lemon or orange to his water? Or mint sprigs? We like herbal teas, especially the berry flavored ones. I make a concentrate and keep it in the fridge (takes up less space than a pitcher of tea) and we just add water to it once it is poured in a glass.

We started when it wasn't so well known and my two are all grown up but i'm still interested to hear how it's working for other people. And I like to see where kids' interests take them.

Thanks for sharing- it's nice to hear from others who now have adult home schooled children. I especially like hearing how creative their career paths are!!!

Mine are 19, 17, and 13.

I pulled my two eldest from school when they were about to go into 3rd and 4th grade. The whole concept of sending them off to school went against my mothering instincts- I had raised them all since birth, being a stay at home mom, and suddenly someone else was raising my kids for a big chunk of the day.

And the homework! There was hours of it, so what in the world were they doing during their daily incarceration?!?

At first we went through a charter school (only to mollify Hubs- I wanted to unschool from the beginning) and I didn't like that because we were just bringing government schooling into our homes. The only benefit I saw to it was the lack of peer pressure and bad behavior that is picked up in school.

Colliepup, my youngest, has never been in a school at all, except for a month or two doing the charter school kindergarten program. The absolute inanity of the curriculum really clinched it for me- he finished the math textbook in less than a month- largely because it had exercises such as "Color the square red. Color the triangle yellow." and other such drivel. Those are things that are learned in the daily course of living, and in my opinion it is a colossal waste of time to have anyone sit around and do that type of "work".

Firstpup would have done fine in a traditional school setting, in an academic sense. Queenpup, on the other hand, shut down completely, and this continued with the charter schooling. There were subjects (math in particular) that she simply was not ready for, and it didn't matter how I tried to approach it she just didn't get it. It made me frustrated and angry since I was always a good student, and here she was just not grasping any of the concepts.

I knew that I was on the path to ruining her forever if we continued and that was when I put my foot down with Hubs and told him we needed to unschool. Both he and his family thought I had gone off the deep end. Taking them out of school was bad enough, but to have no curriculum?!?

"How will they learn? Kids are lazy, they are just going to sit around playing video games and watching TV all day! How will they ever be able to hold a job if they don't learn to be on a schedule now? How will they be socialized? You are making the biggest mistake of your children's lives!"

In answer to the above questions;

How will they learn?

The same way everyone learns before and after compulsory schooling- by pursuing their interests and doing their own research... whether through books, online information, or finding a mentor.

Kids are lazy, they are just going to sit around playing video games and watching TV all day!

Kids are NOT lazy. They are hardwired to learn- this is why little ones drive their parents to distraction with all of the how and why questions. Think of what they learn before pre-K, all on their own. They learn to crawl and then walk. They learn a language, without any flashcards or workbooks. They learn how to feed themselves, open cabinets and doors, throw a ball, dress themselves, build a block tower, and the list goes on and on and on.

Are there times they play video games or watch TV? Certainly. Those things come and go in waves, just as we pursue most of our interests. But they are much more likely to read, and do so daily.

How will they ever be able to hold a job if they don't learn to be on a schedule now?

Err... money, the great motivator?

This one came up early on in our unschooling. A friend would often pop by the house to visit and was appalled because Queenpup would be asleep at 10 or 11 in the morning. Why? Because she was up until 2 or 3 a.m. the night before. Reading. :roll:

Last year both Queenpup and Firstpup worked at a huge cattle ranch here that has a "Guest Ranch" during the spring and summer months, and have just started again this year.

Queenpup is a child counselor and guides a bunch of kids through their daily activities. Firstpup started as a field hand moving irrigation pipe in the hay fields, but soon became a jack of all trades. He works in the kitchen and dining room, cleans the pool and grounds, redid a concrete path, paints outbuildings, and generally does whatever is necessary. His boss is constantly scrambling to find more work for him because he finishes his assignments so much faster than is expected. :D

Queenpup also has a large client base for ranch/pet sitting. Two of her clients have her stay overnight at their homes when they are away. She cares for their dogs, cats, horses, goats, donkeys, chickens, ferrets, and plants.

Colliepup finds work weedwhacking, painting fencing and outbuildings, and has seasonal work at a dog boarding and training facility.

How will they be socialized?

This question amuses me, because it is so backwards.

The fact that children are grouped by age in a compulsory school setting is one of the most damaging aspects of the system in regard to their development. The only time in life that we interact with a group of peers based solely on age is when in school.

Is it any wonder we see such problems with bullying and other undesirable behaviors, when we put a bunch of kids with little life experience in packs? There is no opportunity for them to benefit from the wisdom and experience of their elders, or the "elders" to find joy in helping those younger than themselves and helping them with their studies.

We have a large community of homeschooled kids in our area, and they interact with all age groups. They are kind to one another, and always willing to help those that are younger than themselves or developmentally disabled.

You are making the biggest mistake of your children's lives!

Well, apparently not. :D People constantly tell us that our kids are the smartest kids they have ever met.

One of our neighbors commented "Your kids are good even when they don't have to be." That one completely threw me for a loop- "Huh? What do you mean by that?!?" She answered "Even when nobody they know is watching, they are always so polite, respectful, and helpful. They aren't good just because they think it will get back to you if they aren't."

As a matter of fact, we hear those same sentiments from everyone that interacts with our kids. Even complete strangers will comment "Your kids are homeschooled, aren't they?"

Their work ethic is also legendary in our community... every year there is a huge fundraising rodeo for the local schools, and the kids (and Hubs and I) do a lot of volunteer work. Meanwhile, the students that actually benefit from the money generated by the event want no part of it. It is like pulling teeth to get them to put in an hour or two working the snack bar or helping to serve the breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Contrast that to Colliepup who complains that they wont let him work enough.

Firstpup actually has a paid gig at the event as well, keeping the trash in the camping area and general event collected, and making "dump runs" with the bins. A local ranch hand asked one of the board members in charge of the event "Who is that kid? He is working harder than anyone here. I want him on my team."

They also help at the monthly food giveaway, packing the boxes of food and carrying them out to people's cars... and Queenpup helps at the annual Christmas craft event at the church where the kids make gifts for their families.

Miss M":398aymek said:
I believe that a college education used to be a good thing. I believe it is still necessary for some fields, particularly engineering-related fields.

Today there is a pervasive myth that a college education is necessary for everyone, but that simply is not true. They cite numbers touting how much greater an income college educated people have- but those numbers are skewed by very few academic degrees, such as those in medicine, engineering, or law. Students that choose more esoteric studies are usually simply saddled with a huge debt to repay with no practical application for their degree.

Firstpup wants to be a mechanical engineer, so he found the Kahn Academy online and started studying higher math after a chance meeting a couple of years ago in a grocery store with an older gentleman (complete stranger) who happened to be in that same field and asked Firstpup about his math skills. Good thing he found "Kahn", because once the alphabet gets involved in mathematics, my brain shuts down the same way Queenpup's did! :lol:

Firstpup is 19 now, and is taking a couple of classes at a community college. When he took his entrance exams he tested so high in language arts that they only have one course- "Expository Composition"- that is suitable for him. He kind of botched the math exam- he didn't know to skip over the portions he didn't know and continue with the things he did know- and was placed in a lower class than he needed to be in. When he took the pretest in the math class the first day, the professor came to him and told him he was in the wrong class and needed to be bumped up.

Queenpup wants to open a bakery so plans to just take some business courses in college- whether she gets a degree or not is up to her. She really wants to be a stay at home mom and wife, but feels like she should also have an income. She and I are looking into taking a food safety course so that she can start her business under the Cottage Food Laws and begin a home based business.

Colliepup hasn't yet decided what he wants to do- but he is only thirteen, so there is plenty of time. :) Right now he has a fascination with tanks- who knows where that will go!

I have a slight obsession with looking up words lately - not the latin origins, but with Webster's 1828 dictionary (GREAT for Bible word studies... our dumbed down, PC dictionaries don't even touch the depth richness that some words have to offer). The Latin origins sounds like and interesting thing to study! Do you have a link to what you used, or something similar?

I've been using https://www.vocabulary.com/ lately. They have a basic system for all words, lists people have made, and you can make your own list to learn. When I was in 3rd grade several of us were spelling all the words so well that the teacher decided we should pick 2 words we each wanted to learn. I looked through the dictionary but all I had to do was see most of the words once and I could have spelled them correctly forever. Eventually due to the vowels I chose "boisterous". I got told I chose a poor word and when would I ever use it. She insisted that I should choose a new word and this was not the intent of giving us this option for the tests. Turns out it comes up a lot. I know because to this day every time I hear, read, or use it I think about getting in trouble for adding it to my vocab list. That was one of the more minor incidents of public school. :roll:

Forget about implementing- take advantage of opportunities as they arise. Found a chrysallis in the garden? Stick it in a jar and see what hatches! Hiking near a pond? Collect some frog spawn and bring it home.

My jar hatched spiders. They were small enough to escape out of the lid and infest the house. I got in trouble. The praying mantis eggs went better.

akane":22rhajeu said:
My jar hatched spiders. They were small enough to escape out of the lid and infest the house. I got in trouble. The praying mantis eggs went better.

:eek: :shock: :p

I'm not a big fan of spiders. We have a live and let live relationship (except brown recluse those get squashed). The only times I've ever actually freaked out about a spider was when I was riding horses through the woods and right through a web only to see the large plump spider as I went through it. I knew it was on me but I couldn't find it *shudder*. Thankfully my horse was calmer than I was or we might have had a rodeo. :lol:

I think what you just described might come in a close second...

Gorgeous instruments!

We homeschool, too.
Our daughter is 10 and has been diagnosed with Aspergers & Tourette's and her biggest struggles are OCD and anxiety.
She attended school from JK to Grade one (mid year) and left with PTSD, at age 6. It was sheer hell for her and the school refused to do anythingt o help her because she was a 'good girl' in class.
Those were awful years... but we have worked HARD to overcome those things and she is a bright, happy student.
We have a hard time doing enough work vs. enough socializing with friends LOL

Our plan is to slowly get her back into the school setting NOT for education, but for the ability to be able to function in groups and busy spaces...
she wants to be a veterinarian and will need to do some sciences at high school actually AT high school,
so we are working on her being capable to function in school, but not actually putting her back in, if that makes sense LOL it does for us.

TF3":3kuwcfsj said:
It was sheer hell for her and the school refused to do anything to help her because she was a 'good girl' in class.
TF3":3kuwcfsj said:
Our plan is to slowly get her back into the school setting NOT for education, but for the ability to be able to function in groups and busy spaces...

Of course, not being there to see your daughter's actual behavior in a school setting, my thoughts are not based on "observation"... but perhaps she was considered "a good girl" because she was quiet and non disruptive, and in essence had shut down?

I would suggest getting her involved in a hobby she enjoys- rabbit shows, perhaps?- where she is in a group of people that share the same passion that she has. It is always easiest to relate to people who share your same interests, and having some common ground to converse about often allows people who are "shy" to come out of their shell and become very animated with other people.

SO much to reply to! Starting with MSD's post - here's hoping I got the quotes embedded correctly. Not sure I am doing it the easiest way possible, but we'll see how it goes.

MamaSheepdog":2eu8mki3 said:
heritage":2eu8mki3 said:
A week or two ago my ILs were talking about college and my oldest chimes in (quite loudly) "Well, I'm not going to college" - the room went silent, all eyes on us :shock: .

:lol: Good for him. It isn't a prerequisite, but people sure are brainwashed into thinking you need to amass a huge debt in order to be successful in life.

My SIL is finishing up her masters - my MIL and her sister insisted she needed the higher education so she could compete with the men in her field. DH would have gladly hired her 2 years ago (well, his engineer would have... she'll be working at the same company come summer. Thankfully since she was a minority in her field her masters was paid in full!). The women in DH's family are all the breadwinners - it's kind of crazy. It makes for some interesting conversations (DH's cousin has made some not so nice comments to both her dad and my FIL about living off of their spouses for so many years), and a lot of biting of the tongue for me when little jabs are thrown my way (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. My mom made me so angry and hurt when she asked why we needed life insurance for me when I didn't contribute anything to the family).

Rainey":2eu8mki3 said:
By the time my first child was 6 we had to buy a dictionary of word origins (in the old days before you could find all that info on the internet) because she was driving me nuts asking why do we call it x and I often didn't know.

I love exploring word origins- especially the Latin roots. "Tri is the Latin word for three, which gives us words like tricycle, triangle, tripod..." and so forth. Knowing the Latin roots gives you a key to decoding unfamiliar words.

Latin fascinates me, but also intimidates me as well. I know a LOT of HSers study it...

I want to branch off... I want nature study to be a HUGE part of our day... I want, I want, I want... I just suck and implementing it :oops:

The problem there is your mindset; "I just suck at implementing it."

I know :( I have so many grand ideas, but don't do well following through. It's something I struggle with daily and am slowly doing better with... I don't want the kids to follow in those footsteps. My parents raised a pretty lazy child, honestly, and it's taken a good chunk of my adult life to try and overcome it.

MaggieJ":2eu8mki3 said:
I liked to call it the Flint, Steel and Tinder method. The child's mind, coming into contact with new ideas and subjects, strikes sparks. I did my best to ensure the tinder was there to catch them. Then I fanned the flames gently. A surprising number took hold.

That is unschooling in a nutshell.

What a great visual! I love it! Adding it to my "bank" - one of my favorites is how "sheltering" a child has come to be a bad thing. It is our JOB to shelter our children! It is our duty to protect them until they are ready to go out on their own! You don't take a young seedling and toss it out in the middle of winter. You nurture and "shelter" it until the season is right and they can stand on their own.

my youngest is melting down over water

How about adding a slice of lemon or orange to his water? Or mint sprigs? We like herbal teas, especially the berry flavored ones. I make a concentrate and keep it in the fridge (takes up less space than a pitcher of tea) and we just add water to it once it is poured in a glass.

It's not that he actually does dislike water, he just thought he could pitch a fit and get something else, like the nasty "juice" (NOT!) that DH brought home from men's breakfast. Blech! I should make some herbal tea just for a fun change.

Rainey":2eu8mki3 said:
We started when it wasn't so well known and my two are all grown up but i'm still interested to hear how it's working for other people. And I like to see where kids' interests take them.

Thanks for sharing- it's nice to hear from others who now have adult home schooled children. I especially like hearing how creative their career paths are!!!

Mine are 19, 17, and 13.

I pulled my two eldest from school when they were about to go into 3rd and 4th grade. The whole concept of sending them off to school went against my mothering instincts- I had raised them all since birth, being a stay at home mom, and suddenly someone else was raising my kids for a big chunk of the day.

And the homework! There was hours of it, so what in the world were they doing during their daily incarceration?!?

That's what gets me! ODS is starting to fuss about anything school related. DH's aunt kindly suggested I send him to PS so I could get a "break" - ummm... hello? I can either deal with it for an hour or two a day, then be done. OR I can wake up a grumpy child (not a morning person, at all. We often do his work at night after everyone else is in bed b/c that's his "prime time"), send him to school to pick up who knows what, pick up a grumpy child HOURS later, then force said grumpy child to sit down for who knows how much homework that (from what I hear from others) would likely exceed his regular, full amount of school work time wise. Oh, then send him to bed early so we can start the whole process over the next day. Nope. No thanks.

This one came up early on in our unschooling. A friend would often pop by the house to visit and was appalled because Queenpup would be asleep at 10 or 11 in the morning. Why? Because she was up until 2 or 3 a.m. the night before. Reading. :roll:

This is SO my son! He was a night owl even before he was born, and still is today (unless there's a fishing tournament. With the right motivation he can wake up at 4 AM no problem ;) ).

Last year both Queenpup and Firstpup worked at a huge cattle ranch here that has a "Guest Ranch" during the spring and summer months, and have just started again this year.

Queenpup is a child counselor and guides a bunch of kids through their daily activities. Firstpup started as a field hand moving irrigation pipe in the hay fields, but soon became a jack of all trades. He works in the kitchen and dining room, cleans the pool and grounds, redid a concrete path, paints outbuildings, and generally does whatever is necessary. His boss is constantly scrambling to find more work for him because he finishes his assignments so much faster than is expected. :D

Queenpup also has a large client base for ranch/pet sitting. Two of her clients have her stay overnight at their homes when they are away. She cares for their dogs, cats, horses, goats, donkeys, chickens, ferrets, and plants.

Colliepup finds work weedwhacking, painting fencing and outbuildings, and has seasonal work at a dog boarding and training facility.

How will they be socialized?

This question amuses me, because it is so backwards.

The fact that children are grouped by age in a compulsory school setting is one of the most damaging aspects of the system in regard to their development. The only time in life that we interact with a group of peers based solely on age is when in school.

Is it any wonder we see such problems with bullying and other undesirable behaviors, when we put a bunch of kids with little life experience in packs? There is no opportunity for them to benefit from the wisdom and experience of their elders, or the "elders" to find joy in helping those younger than themselves and helping them with their studies.

We have a large community of homeschooled kids in our area, and they interact with all age groups. They are kind to one another, and always willing to help those that are younger than themselves or developmentally disabled.

Yes! This! There is a difference between socialization and socialized. My children do well to talk to and work with people of all ages and stages. A little girl, maybe 2 years old, latched on to my oldest at the park a couple weeks ago. He did amazing with her, pushing her on the swing, playing the games she wanted to play. I was so proud of him for not totally brushing her off. He fishes tournaments with his dad exposing him to a LOT of different ages. He goes to the barber shop with his great grandpa. Senior's Luncheon with great grandparents (I used to have those afternoons "off" - now I am designated BINGO caller :roll: ). Bible Study (CBS) with a class his own age, but group and play times with older and younger kids. Dance. The list goes on.

You are making the biggest mistake of your children's lives!

Well, apparently not. :D People constantly tell us that our kids are the smartest kids they have ever met.

One of our neighbors commented "Your kids are good even when they don't have to be." That one completely threw me for a loop- "Huh? What do you mean by that?!?" She answered "Even when nobody they know is watching, they are always so polite, respectful, and helpful. They aren't good just because they think it will get back to you if they aren't."

As a matter of fact, we hear those same sentiments from everyone that interacts with our kids. Even complete strangers will comment "Your kids are homeschooled, aren't they?"

Their work ethic is also legendary in our community... every year there is a huge fundraising rodeo for the local schools, and the kids (and Hubs and I) do a lot of volunteer work. Meanwhile, the students that actually benefit from the money generated by the event want no part of it. It is like pulling teeth to get them to put in an hour or two working the snack bar or helping to serve the breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Contrast that to Colliepup who complains that they wont let him work enough.

Firstpup actually has a paid gig at the event as well, keeping the trash in the camping area and general event collected, and making "dump runs" with the bins. A local ranch hand asked one of the board members in charge of the event "Who is that kid? He is working harder than anyone here. I want him on my team."

They also help at the monthly food giveaway, packing the boxes of food and carrying them out to people's cars... and Queenpup helps at the annual Christmas craft event at the church where the kids make gifts for their families.

Miss M":2eu8mki3 said:
I believe that a college education used to be a good thing. I believe it is still necessary for some fields, particularly engineering-related fields.

Today there is a pervasive myth that a college education is necessary for everyone, but that simply is not true. They cite numbers touting how much greater an income college educated people have- but those numbers are skewed by very few academic degrees, such as those in medicine, engineering, or law. Students that choose more esoteric studies are usually simply saddled with a huge debt to repay with no practical application for their degree.

Firstpup wants to be a mechanical engineer, so he found the Kahn Academy online and started studying higher math after a chance meeting a couple of years ago in a grocery store with an older gentleman (complete stranger) who happened to be in that same field and asked Firstpup about his math skills. Good thing he found "Kahn", because once the alphabet gets involved in mathematics, my brain shuts down the same way Queenpup's did! :lol:

Firstpup is 19 now, and is taking a couple of classes at a community college. When he took his entrance exams he tested so high in language arts that they only have one course- "Expository Composition"- that is suitable for him. He kind of botched the math exam- he didn't know to skip over the portions he didn't know and continue with the things he did know- and was placed in a lower class than he needed to be in. When he took the pretest in the math class the first day, the professor came to him and told him he was in the wrong class and needed to be bumped up.

Queenpup wants to open a bakery so plans to just take some business courses in college- whether she gets a degree or not is up to her. She really wants to be a stay at home mom and wife, but feels like she should also have an income. She and I are looking into taking a food safety course so that she can start her business under the Cottage Food Laws and begin a home based business.

Colliepup hasn't yet decided what he wants to do- but he is only thirteen, so there is plenty of time. :) Right now he has a fascination with tanks- who knows where that will go!

I loved reading all that. I hope I can build a legacy even a fraction as great as what you are doing with your children.

We have been pegged for HSers based on behavior alone which I consider a wonderful compliment.

__________ Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:33 pm __________

TF3":2eu8mki3 said:
Gorgeous instruments!

We homeschool, too.
Our daughter is 10 and has been diagnosed with Aspergers & Tourette's and her biggest struggles are OCD and anxiety.
She attended school from JK to Grade one (mid year) and left with PTSD, at age 6. It was sheer hell for her and the school refused to do anythingt o help her because she was a 'good girl' in class.
Those were awful years... but we have worked HARD to overcome those things and she is a bright, happy student.
We have a hard time doing enough work vs. enough socializing with friends LOL

she wants to be a veterinarian and will need to do some sciences at high school actually AT high school,
so we are working on her being capable to function in school, but not actually putting her back in, if that makes sense LOL it does for us.

Poor girl :cry: That breaks my heart. I'm so glad you were able to do that for her. I silently listen to other people's stories and wonder what the future will hold for their children when they have the issues they have in school.

__________ Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:54 pm __________

akane":2eu8mki3 said:

I have heard the same horror story with praying mantises in a butterfly net house type thing.

OK, logistics of venturing out in the summer with ticks galore?? ODS got into a nest of the itty bitty ones late last year and I am traumatized. It was only by true miracle we didn't end up covered in them! (DH prayed for a bubble of protection for us that morning, and after stripping him down naked in a park parking lot (because they had even gotten into his socks and underwear :x ), getting hundreds of them off of him, some having already attached themselves, (then finding them crawling up my arms!), neither of us found anymore on us after we left (and he had already been in the car and buckled up so I KNOW they were in the car as well).

I was reading about "Forest School" where groups get together for semi-structured time in the woods learning various things like plant ID, general husbandry, safely building a camp fire, and general exploration which I thought was such a neat idea! I would love to start something like that in our area, but I know snakes, ticks, and other things are a big deterrent for a lot of people for most of the year.

heritage":2907fvy8 said:
Thanks for putting it into words, Miss M. I have learned to "censor" myself, never knowing how the company I am around will react to my thinking, but it sounds like we are on the same page ;) :lol:
:lol: ...Yeah, I do the same thing. If you know where I live or have access to my address or could have access to it if you gave it a little effort, I'm going to be very careful what I say to you until I know where you stand. There are some people who have asked how my kids are doing in school, and I know they don't disapprove of homeschooling, but I know they would probably disapprove of unschooling, so I tell them stuff like "Oh, they're doing well, they get As and Bs... this one's favorite subject is... least favorite subject is..." The whole truth is a bit more complicated. I do a combination of homeschooling and unschooling, and I learned some time back that tests only slow them down. I do tests in math, but sometimes they take the tests immediately upon learning new material just to show me they've got it. If they were to be graded normally on a standard curriculum, they would have As and Bs. I know this because of all the things I hear in regular conversation, and because of their answers to questions. :shrug: I have to give others info in a way they will be most likely to understand it and that will protect my family.

Oh the other hand, if you have no idea who I am or where I live, and no way of finding out unless I tell you, I'm more willing to talk -- but still, only to a point until you tip your hand a little.

I do the same thing about college. Neither of mine has any plans to go to college, though they're open to the idea later. Galadriel's graduated, but still studying at home. We've told them that there's no point in taking on a huge amount of debt to go to college, as it's only a source of stress. You get out, you get a job, and you're a slave to your debt for so many years. I have a niece who graduated from college, and is now a barista at Starbucks. I'm sure that's not what she wanted to do with her degree, and she's going to have a hard time paying back any student loans she might have working at Starbucks. :(

We have my sister-in-law visiting right now (they're off being tourists at the moment), and she's floored by BWK and Galadriel. She's very impressed, just by their knowledge that comes out in conversation, and also by their writings. She's read BWK's comics he's done, and his book he's writing, and Galadriel's prologue, etc. etc. etc. She had sent two disintegrating glass pearl necklaces to Galadriel for her to redesign into new jewelry (along with money for supplies). Galadriel had a necklace completed when she arrived, and then she got to watch a second necklace take shape. There were just enough pearls left for her to make a third necklace, a simple string of pearls with a pendant.

So anyway, she's gotten to see what homeschooling has done for her niece and nephew, and she's loving it. :)

SoDak Thriver":2907fvy8 said:
The structure of an enrolled curriculum experience was comforting and having an enrollment and a school that issued grades and transcripts made me feel more legally protected as we started homeschooling in an area hostile to it. The curriculum that made me feel so free then feels like a cage now and I'm ready to take that step and add some "unschooling" to our day.
This is what happened with me, as well. I started off so structured (and scared to death), using a single curriculum because I was scared to mix them up. Then I started trying different things, and ended up with different sources for each subject, tailored to the way they learned. Now there's much less structure, but they're still learning just fine. :)

A week or two ago my ILs were talking about college and my oldest chimes in (quite loudly) "Well, I'm not going to college" - the room went silent, all eyes on us :shock: . We told him we weren't sure what he was going to do, that time would tell. It would depend on what he was interested in, blah blah blah.
I know the feeling... Galadriel has stated a couple of times in the company of others that she's not planning to go to college at this time. Things get a little uncomfortable as if she had just said, "I'm planning on being a total failure as my life goal." :roll: So that's when I jump in pretty much like you do, "Oh, yes, she's said she might go to college, just not immediately, needs to save up, make some decisions, blah blah blah...

Rainey":2907fvy8 said:
That was always the question we were asked, especially at homeschool gatherings--"What curriculum are you using?" At first they were so young it just seemed silly and I'd answer, "The one we used for walking and talking--it worked really well." By the time my first child was 6 we had to buy a dictionary of word origins (in the old days before you could find all that info on the internet) because she was driving me nuts asking why do we call it x and I often didn't know. Found out that curriculum comes from the Latin word for racecourse. ;) So after that we just said that and that we preferred to explore instead of getting done as quickly as possible. That was what worked for us. I'm not saying no one should use them. It's like raising rabbits--we have different goals and starting points and interests and they lead us to different decisions. But I'd be glad to offer suggestions to anyone interested in other ways to learn. Sort of like natural feeding instead of pellets I guess.
Excellently put! :hooray:

Rainey":2907fvy8 said:
You're welcome! And we saw that photo on his site... very nicely done photo!

I want to make learning a way of life for them.
THAT is truly the point of homeschooling. Rather than learning a bunch of names and dates so they can regurgitate them for a test, they are learning how to learn... and learning to love learning. If you can instill that, they'll be insatiable. They'll never stop learning.

MaggieJ":2907fvy8 said:
I liked to call it the Flint, Steel and Tinder method. The child's mind, coming into contact with new ideas and subjects, strikes sparks. I did my best to ensure the tinder was there to catch them. Then I fanned the flames gently.
I wish I had been better at this when mine were younger, but I think I grew into it.

MamaSheepdog":2907fvy8 said:
My kids raised tadpoles up to frogs a couple of times, raised baby turtles, hatched butterfly eggs, grew cotton, grew peanuts, chewed sugar cane and honeycomb, played with dry ice, preserved a large scorpion and took it to the local entomologist (it was most certainly not a local scorpion)... if something interesting came up, we dropped everything and did it. My husband was the maintenance supervisor at the apartment complex where we lived, so he would stop by sometimes and totally change our day. :)

the Kahn Academy
I just found out about this, and some others. I've got it bookmarked for research. :p

Today there is a pervasive myth that a college education is necessary for everyone, but that simply is not true.
It has never been true, least of all today.

akane":2907fvy8 said:
I got told I chose a poor word and when would I ever use it. She insisted that I should choose a new word and this was not the intent of giving us this option for the tests. Turns out it comes up a lot. I know because to this day every time I hear, read, or use it I think about getting in trouble for adding it to my vocab list.
:lol:

akane":2907fvy8 said:
:eek: :x :fainting:

alforddm":2907fvy8 said:
right through a web only to see the large plump spider as I went through it. I knew it was on me but I couldn't find it *shudder*.
:shock: I think my brain would have imploded... I don't do big spiders well at all.

one of my favorites is how "sheltering" a child has come to be a bad thing. It is our JOB to shelter our children! It is our duty to protect them until they are ready to go out on their own! You don't take a young seedling and toss it out in the middle of summer. You nurture and "shelter" it until the season is right and they can stand on their own.

My mom made me so angry and hurt when she asked why we needed like insurance for me when I didn't contribute anything to the family
Wow.

We had an orb weaver (one of the biggest web building spiders) living in our kitchen for awhile. They stay in their web so if you stay out of their web spider and human should not come in contact. I dislike spiders that don't stay in a web because I am highly allergic and they can be anywhere. Eventually we found a good place to put her in the yard and a way to move her from her web that spanned about 5' across the corner. Everyone who heard about it was freaking out that we left a huge spider taking up a quarter of our kitchen for a couple weeks. :lol:

Latest posts

Back