Dandruff or mites?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't have any crawling up my arm. So, just dandruff?

She has a bald spot on her back but she is molting and I got a late start with harvesting so maybe she pulled it out?

If you take a very strong light and part her hair by her neck and just down her back and watch you will see the dandruff move if it is mites. You may need to use a magnifying glass. I had one angora that I purchased that came home with mites. It was pretty easy to fix though.

If fur is missing and you see dandruff it is most likely mites. I didn't see any crawling of the dandruff but one of my bucks had mites when I brought him home. From what I read any dandruff is fur mites. It is easy to take care of.

I have not used it yet, but I have heard it works by desication of the mite via micro cuts, but should not have any harm for the rabbit as long as it does not get in their eyes or lungs. When I had them I opted for Ivermectin because I didn't know about the DE at the time. I will try DE first if it ever happens again.

I've used DE on my rabbits for mites. All I've ever had to do is apply it once. Just put a teaspoon or so in your hand and run it over the ears, nape of neck, and down the back of the rabbit. That way if they try to escape it they have to travel a distance and will be liberally coated.

Latest posts

Back