Curious about her color and pattern

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maleficent

Reaction score
2017-07-16 08.31.17.png

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo, my phone's camera is not the best, but I was wondering about my girl's color and pattern possibilities. In those areas of color it kind of looks like someone took a brush of black paint and brown paint and splattered it on her. It's a bunch of small black and brown dots which kind of blend together now that her fur is longer. If you guys need a better picture of her just say the word and I can fetch her for picture day.

Attachments

• 2017-07-16 08.32.58.jpg
    2017-07-16 08.32.58.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,582
she looks like a chestnut charlie to me, though your description of the colour on her is interetsting. seeing a close-up of her stripe would be nice!

but chestnut is the 'wild type' rabbit colour, a nice brownish colour with several rings of colour on the hair. "charlie" refers to the fact that she is mostly white with colour only on her eyes, ears, and down her back. she's quite pretty! i love lionhead mutton chops

Shazza let me fetch jer for pictures then, I love her stripe too! It's the main reason I picked her over any of her siblings when I saw her for the first at about 4weeks of age. I'm still in contact with her breeder as well and can contact her for her parent's coloring and markings if that can help.

20170716_103514.jpg

This image still doesn't do her back marking any justice! It looks mostly black when in actuality it is more mottled with a red brown and black

oh that's beautiful! so that would be japanese harlequin, not chestnut. or high-white tricolour. the japanese pattern is orange + a colour (in this case, black!) i love harlequin and tricolour - i plan on working with it a lot in my rex!

I think her breeder mentioned Harley when I got her in regards to her coloring but even her breeder is stumped on her coloring. I will have to contact her and ask for her parent's colorings to see if it will help.

the pattern is either broken or charlie (its right on the edge between the two). So she is either tricolor (the name for broken harlequin) or charlie tricolor.

I just got a reply from her breeder and she told me my girl's mother was a tri and her father was a magpie. Which makes me wonder what colors she could possibly throw now that she is bred to a broken black mini rex buck.

It depends on a few things. Mostly, whether or not the tricolor is self based or agouti based (which it is hard to know with those parents), if the mini rex carries chinchilla or rew (which would make chinchilla based colors possible, since the magpie is a chinchilla color) and whether or not the mini rex carries non extension (tort, red, etc) which would allow tricolor to show. And whether or not she is single mane or double mane, or carries rex and is charlie or broken genetically.

Most likely, you will get broken chestnut, charlie chestnut, *maybe* solid chestnut, or broken black, charlie black, *maybe* solid black all with fur like hers, with a small mane, not rex fur.

SableSteel":tmaxjs87 said:
It depends on a few things. Mostly, whether or not the tricolor is self based or agouti based (which it is hard to know with those parents), if the mini rex carries chinchilla or rew (which would make chinchilla based colors possible, since the magpie is a chinchilla color) and whether or not the mini rex carries non extension (tort, red, etc) which would allow tricolor to show. And whether or not she is single mane or double mane, or carries rex and is charlie or broken genetically.

Most likely, you will get broken chestnut, charlie chestnut, *maybe* solid chestnut, or broken black, charlie black, *maybe* solid black all with fur like hers, with a small mane, not rex fur.

She is a double mane so the babies are guaranteed to have single manes. C:

And I guess color wise for the babies we will just have to wait and see what pops up!

Pretty pretty! I LOVE harlequin coloring! As a newbie to rabbits I picked up a broken tri because I thought he was beautiful! I paired him with a REW and given that there was so much white between the two of them I expected mostly white babies - boy was I shocked when I peeked in the nest box and found a VERY colorful litter! :oops: :lol: Once I joined RT I learned a little more about color genetics and it all made sense... I wish I could go back to that first litter and see just what I had...

Back