Cull at 4 weeks or continue feeding?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I fostered 7 onto Curly (who had 4) about 3 weeks ago. She has taken care of all, but most of the seven are half the size of Curly's litter. I was planning on the 7 as meat buns--not breeding stock. However, I am wondering if they will grow out to size in another 50-60 days... Half as closer to size, but half would qualify as "runty"...

Input appreciated!

depends, do you have an outlet for the youngsters or will they be wasted?

if you can do them as critter food that prevents waste. But kits will indeed surprise you once they get going. I'd leave them on mom until 5-6 weeks if you can.

I think that if she has 11 little mouths to feed some might be losing the battle for a nipple. When they get on solid food and everyone has a chance at full bellies I think they should all grow out nicely. Just my humble opinion....

I've had quite a size difference in a couple of my litters during the first couple of weeks and by ten weeks I couldn't tell which ones had been bigger than others.

I agree with Ladysown and Truckinguy. Leave them with mom so they have a slow weaning and then, when they have successfully made the adjustment to solid food, they should begin to grow very well. Give it a try, CH... if nothing else you will learn what works (or doesn't) for the future.

Thanks again all---will leave them with Momma and let them feed. Will try to report back on this thread at a later date!

They are not marked for breeding, that is for sure!

I find 4 weeks is the awkward age where due to the fact they are starting to switch over to pellets and Mom isn't making as much milk as she starts to wean them. Most seem to lose a bit of condition and look runty, especially if there are quite a few in the litter. Hang on to them a little longer and soon enough they'll probably even out in size.

Latest posts

Back