CrossBreeding small/large Rabbits - Anyone with experience?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkAngel

Reaction score
Hi

(sorry my english is not the bedst - but i hope you understand)

I have a few English Lop in my stable - and i have a request to try to 'make' a small version of the English Lop ... :)

I have tried 2 times now with a female English and a male Mini Lop - but no kits ... :(

I am considering trying Female Mini Lop and male English Lop - Pros and Cons PLS? ... :?:

Hi!
I don't know if it would be a good idea. English lops are quite big compared to the mini. The male mini and female English would be fine, but the large male to small female might not go well. I am not sure how large the size difference has to be to cause an issue, but I do know that a male rabbit a few pounds larger can cause the female to have issues during birthing. I personally would not risk that big a size difference. Maybe if it were a pound difference but not more.

I am sure other users will know more and be ale to help.

I agree that the size difference between an English lop and a Mini Lop is probably too great and would not do the cross.

You did not post your location but if you are outside of North America then I would definitely NOT cross a male ELop to a female Mini as Miniature Lops are comparable to our Holland lops and under 4.5 pounds.

Always try and breed a smaller buck to a larger doe

Babies won't come out much smaller.

I bred my Lionhead buck to a NZ/Chin cross and the babies at 3 months weigh the same as a normal meat rabbit and if let grown I'd say get to be the same size.

Thank you all for your replies ... :)

I have been asking the same question in an other forum - and i got the reply that the female need to be the mini lop and male, english lop - then there will be a chance for a mini with long ears ... I will try that way ... :)

Wouldn't that pose a potential risk to the female? I've heard you generally want the male to be smaller than the female, because the female having extra large (for her) kits could result in them getting stuck...

Please don't breed an English Lop male to a Mini female. There is the same chance for getting what you want the other way around, and doing the breeding you are going to will put your female at a large risk.

if you are okay with potentially losing your female and the litter, then go ahead.

I'm sorry if this is harsh. I don't want to be rude, I am just concerned for your rabbit. Please rather use a Mini male and English female.

I have to agree with LFB a buck that big could easily crush a doe that small. Once I took my Lionhead doe out to my Silver Fox buck *I was curious as to what the size difference was and I also was wondering what litter outcome there would be, but after seeing he was at least 3 times her size I decided for the well being of the doe not too.*

Not only are you risking crushing the doe under the weight of a bigger buck but the kits would more than likely grow to be bigger than normal, raising the risk of a stuck kit and/or dead doe. You're way better off using a Mini male and English female.

Trust me he'll be able to make it. I breed an NZ doe to a Lionhead. He was barely tall enough to reach and when she would lift it looked like she would almost lift him up.

Latest posts

Back