Cross-posting: 3 week old kit with genital infection?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
GRAPHIC PICS BELOW!

I have a nearly 3 week old kit.
The other day my sister was checking her over and noticed that her little bits were swollen and kind of bleeding a little bit.
When I checked her yesterday it looked awful. It's infected - there was some bits of puss, but it's not bleeding/pussing, it's just extremely swollen and inflamed. We're not sure if she accidentally nipped herself, or if it was Mama bunny who did it.

My 4-H superintendent said to clean it and put bag balm on it. We're doing that, but is this going to help?

My boss told me of something that starts with a V...Veramycin or something similar that is sold at pet stores/farm stores and it's a topical spray and works well on infections. If you recognize the name/whatever it is, can you tell me exactly what the name is and if it's safe to use on rabbits? Or is there any other topical antibacterial spray/cream to use that will kill the infection/treat this issue?

BabyBunny001.jpg

BabyBunny002.jpg

Any ideas?
Really do not want to cull this kit. :/ I'm sure there's something to treat it. ;)

Emily

OMG, that looks awful. Poor bunny!

It's possible you are looking for vibramycin. I put in Veramycin on google and it suggested vibramycin. I put in vibramycin rabbits and found the following link plus many others. Hope this is a helpful start in your research to find a solution to this problem.

http://www.rabbitweb.net/forum/online-p ... -2034.html

Poor baby! That looks SO painful. I'm guessing that Vetericyn is what they are talking about. We have a stockpile in our barn for our horses that we use all the time. It works really well but without knowing what's causing the problem it may not help but, it can't hurt either way.

http://www.vetericyn.com/

Oh no! That poor little sweetie! I hope she is not in too much pain. Please keep us updated on her condition.

You can also get a tetracycline based injectable at farm supply stores-- and injectable penicillin (Pen-LA) I usually keep a bottle of "duramycin' available for my buns. USe a smaller gage needle, but be aware that the stuff has a very thick viscocity, so if the gage is too small, injection is difficult (most likely to blow the needle from the syringe)<br /><br />__________ Wed May 04, 2011 1:58 am __________<br /><br />oh-- a quick thought-- when my dogs got 'hot spots' a safe topical to reduce inflammation that the vet told me to use was hemorroid ointment== the 'shark' component in it is what does the trick. And another inflammatin reducer is 'calendula' use ointment, not cream.

Latest posts

Back