creeping charlie, abortificent?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiogoatgirl

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea

in a group I saw someone had called dead nettle, creeping Charlie. in the comments someone corrected them and that these two plants looks similar and luckily both are edible. (human edible based on the group it is in and not specified otherwise).

the wiki page says:
"Glechoma hederacea is known to contain terpenoids; terpene-rich volatile oils are known to irritate the gastrointestinal tract and kidneys. The volatile oil also contains pulegone, a chemical also occurring in pennyroyal that is a known irritant, toxic to the liver, and also an abortifacient. The total yield of volatile oil in Glechoma is less than 1/30th the concentration that of pennyroyal."

luckily I recognized this as something that grows here and did not think it was the same as the dead nettle. so the rabbits have gotten some dead nettle but none of what I now know is creeping Charlie.

Heritage, that is a great link! For perfecting your identification of plants, try picking the plants and bringing them to your computer. I think you'll find it much easier.

Creeping Charlie is easy to identify by its pleasant minty scent when picked or bruised. It used to be used to make herbal tea, commonly known as Gill Tea.

I've never had trouble differentiating Purple Dead Nettle from the other two, but without the aid of scent I could easily confuse Creeping Charlie with Henbit.

I've never fed any of these to the rabbits, and as far as I know only the Purple Dead Nettle is good forage for the buns.

I have had no trouble feeding this even in large amounts. All mint family plants have some of the same chemicals and are known to impact milk production and labor in large enough quantities. Usually this quantity is not reached. Even with nepeta and the closely related glechoma species. Livestock grazing a pasture ingest massive quantities of some plants compared to what we can feed our caged animals even when we put them in ground pens. As a portion of any normal diet I have not found a lamiaceae plant that is too concerning. The only suggestion is to be careful of it's potential impact on milk production or it's usefulness when excess milk production is a health concern.

Glechoma genus plants are particularly useful to some pollinator species like small bees so while it's an invasive pest plant many like to leave it alone in parts of their yard or garden to bring in more pollinators and support local populations.

I think the purple dead nettle is what comes up anywhere we use roundup (around pasture fence lines, mainly). I wonder why that is?
If there's some nettle still hiding in grass surrounding the fence and treated plants that die then, nettle is partially resistant to herbicide, will take over the treated areas pretty quickly. I'll suggest to spot treat rather spray a line so u can take out those woody weeds rather than grass.

Latest posts

Back