Creating rabbit records in Open Office

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MKirst

Reaction score
Tonight I decided to start building a Rabbit Record to begin the 4 generation pedigree in Open Office from my two rabbits, Jane Doe and John Doe.

How is the best way to do this from scratch ? Should I just do a single rabbit (Jane Doe) then (John Doe) on each page with their known BIO ? Or start out the first page with both Jane and John then work from there when they have babies ?

Also, on the records, do you put their pictures below the info like on a dog pedigree database ?

What numbers should I tattoo Jane and John .. just any number or start with 0000 and 0001 ?

Any suggestions, do and don't (s) would be helpful too .. Thanks.

This is soo exciting !!! :D

I built my own pedigrees on Microsoft Excel. It took some doing and phenagling to get the thing right, but all in all, it was alot of fun, too.

MKirst":rz0bqgro said:
Tonight I decided to start building a Rabbit Record to begin the 4 generation pedigree in Open Office from my two rabbits, Jane Doe and John Doe.

How is the best way to do this from scratch ? Should I just do a single rabbit (Jane Doe) then (John Doe) on each page with their known BIO ? Or start out the first page with both Jane and John then work from there when they have babies ?

Also, on the records, do you put their pictures below the info like on a dog pedigree database ?

What numbers should I tattoo Jane and John .. just any number or start with 0000 and 0001 ?

Any suggestions, do and don't (s) would be helpful too .. Thanks.

This is soo exciting !!! :D

I have some I can send you. I actually used a link to a 4H booklet that is a RFT document. Then I pasted it and used it as a template, putting each breed in its own folder, then making a file with each rabbits name on it.

I took the excel pedigree template like SatinsRule has and opened it in the rabbit breed folder. That way, I can rill out half of the ped for each breeding rabbit, and then add the other side later.

individual-doe-buck-litter-records-colorado-4h-t8478.html

I made one folder with 2 rough default .odt and 2 rough default .pdf - one set for each rabbit. Jane and John.

I'm working on a header graphic now. Kinda limited though creating the header considering a printable document limits the margin space.

I guess if I draft one in a RFT I could eliminate the margin restriction for a printable then recreate or copy to .odt then dup and save to .pdf. I dunno.

In your RTF can you create a graphic imprint with 60 - 75% transparency including the margins ?

MKirst":3u983xi0 said:
I made one folder with 2 rough default .odt and 2 rough default .pdf - one set for each rabbit. Jane and John.

I'm working on a header graphic now. Kinda limited though creating the header considering a printable document limits the margin space.

I guess if I draft one in a RFT I could eliminate the margin restriction for a printable then recreate or copy to .odt then dup and save to .pdf. I dunno.

In your RTF can you create a graphic imprint with 60 - 75% transparency including the margins ?

I don't know, I didn't put a graphic on the page. Doesn't seem like there was a good place. I'll try tonight. Maybe make it a watermark? What I did do was change all of the margins after I saved it to odt format. I type in it as an odt doc.

Your document looks good- you might want to add a "# sold" column too. One terminology correction- Dam, not Dame. :)

MamaSheepdog":2bixd3c9 said:
Your document looks good- you might want to add a "# sold" column too. One terminology correction- Dam, not Dame. :)

Good eye MSD. Looking pretty good. All of mine have gone into the freezer, so it didn't occur to me to add a sold column.

Ya, mine too will be in the freezer prolly, I will only keep one of each litter to continue on .. which ever one looks the best I guess.

I only need to keep one to continue on for the 4 generation of records, ya ?

MKirst":1wenqm19 said:
Do you think it's best to have the # sold on this page or can I just have the # sold on the individual rabbit page?

As long as you have it somewhere so you can track that too. I have the Rabbit Register by Evan's Software now, and it tracks all kinds of data for you. I can't wait to have all the info entered so I can really study how my operation is doing.

I started with some non pedigreed rabbits and some pedigreed, looked at some rabbit pedigrees then made my own blank pedigree on my word processer. I just go fill one out for each new rabbit or litter and the kits I save back and save them by tattoo number. All the rabbits born in my herd are tattoo with the buck inital, does inital, the numbered (odds for bucks and evens for does) then a letter to indicate which litter from that breeding. BL1A is a buck I'm saving his Sire was "Buster"
, Dam was "Louise", he was the 1st buck tattooed out of that litter, and it was the first time I bred those 2 together. I also generally tattoo the biggest and best in the litter first and work my way down so the number also represents quality within the litter.

Thanks for the tattoo information rittert. On your pedigree's for the non - pedigreed rabbits do you put thumbnails pictures of each rabbit also ? I was thinking of maybe doing that.

Here's the pedigree record I created, I did save some room for a small thumbnail .. I must figure out how to add one though .. but how does it look ? Ok for a beginner ? Am I missing anything ? OK, thanks.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9xK1JMKISBNOVQtUEVVay1ZRGc

MKirst":i8g79klb said:
Thanks for the tattoo information rittert. On your pedigree's for the non - pedigreed rabbits do you put thumbnails pictures of each rabbit also ? I was thinking of maybe doing that.

Here's the pedigree record I created, I did save some room for a small thumbnail .. I must figure out how to add one though .. but how does it look ? Ok for a beginner ? Am I missing anything ? OK, thanks.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9xK1JMKISBNOVQtUEVVay1ZRGc

No I haven't as of yet, but that would be helpful.

My pedigrees have a register number as well as GC number since they are different. That way if the rabbit has legs but no GC yet, you have it's register number. Just a thought.

I have never seen a real Rabbit Pedigree -- only blank ones on different sites. Ya, I was gonna put both GC and Reg # but one wouldn't fix with a printable margin.

The way I understand it is .. I cannot register any rabbit anywhere without a complete 3-4 generation pedigree record. Only then does a rabbit qualify. But I dunno for sure, I just gather as a conclusion reading different websites. GC means Genetic Code, right ? I chose to put GC because one website has a generator .. so I figured just go there get the GC and add to the records when ever possible.

Do you think I should have the Reg. # instead of the GC ? With the printable margins I had to either pick one or neither kinda thing.

I only have 2 rabbits and didn't breed them yet .. unless while they were together the first 3 weeks she got tagged. I doubt it though.

This is just an interesting project I think .. I want to make sure I have personalized records in order before anything gets going around here.

Soo exciting !!

I did a Rabbit Inventory too last night .. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B9xK1JMKISBNdnNZaEJLSm9fT0U

What else do I need ? Today after work I'm gonna work on some sort of health chart. Any suggestions for records ? Thanks.

GC means grand champion. And true you cannot register a rabbit without a complete 3 generation pedigree with weights and colors.

I have another 4 H chart for health records, let me see if I can find it.

Opens in office draw. I have not made any amendments to it, as I printed it out some time ago and use the copies in my pedigree binder.

indian.ifas.ufl.edu/4H/Club_FILES.../Rabbit-Cavy-Record-Book.pdf

Did you look at Kintraks http://www.kintraks.com/purchase.htm ?

It is a free trial versian, you can put up to 40 animals in the free one. There is also Evans software and Global.

I'm trying Kintraks out right now, so far I like it. The breeder we got our rabbits from uses Evans and he showed me all the extras that Evans does and I will probably switch to that at some point in the future but for right now, Kintraks is great. There are also various records on it you can fill in, like health records, weight, matings, etc.

If you want to do it yourself, you may still want to download the free versian and use some of the things from it or to improve what you are doing, it may give you some ideas to see what else you may want. Good luck with your project.

LauraNJ":347o4wr9 said:
Did you look at Kintraks http://www.kintraks.com/purchase.htm ?

It is a free trial versian, you can put up to 40 animals in the free one. There is also Evans software and Global.

I'm trying Kintraks out right now, so far I like it. The breeder we got our rabbits from uses Evans and he showed me all the extras that Evans does and I will probably switch to that at some point in the future but for right now, Kintraks is great. There are also various records on it you can fill in, like health records, weight, matings, etc.

If you want to do it yourself, you may still want to download the free versian and use some of the things from it or to improve what you are doing, it may give you some ideas to see what else you may want. Good luck with your project.

I filled up the 60 animals with the free trial in a few days. Both are really nice programs but so far they can't do anything for me that I can't do myself on paper, with a computer program or on the internet.

Latest posts

Back